BA 2004

I assure you that if Burris is not playing it's not because he doesn't want to contribute. I know him well enough to know that he is a great kid who plays to win at everything he does. Let's remember, there were only 4 9th graders who traveled w/ the varsity 4 years ago. Forte, Butler, Burris and Griffen. He's been a starter since his Soph year. Burris shouldn't have played last year with his shoulder. There's a good chance that choosing to play last year hurt his baseball chances for college. There is zero reason to screw that up even if you are a great player.

As far as the season goes, these kids have won a ton of games together and they're upset at always losing to Rutedge/MBA in the final game. I believe if Flatt will get out of the way and let these guys play football the way their capable, they will get the ring that they've should have had at least two of the last four years.

By the way, I hear that Turner is going to play Wide out. He does run a legit 4.5.

• Replies 283
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Flatt seems to run the same plays over and over w/ the same defensive scheme. Examples: He had one of the best fullbacks in the country. In the clinic bowl last year he had about 5 carries. He had one of the best TE's in the country, He never touches it. The best pure athlete on the field ( in my opinion it's tyler griffen ) and he has him handing the ball off to a guy that fumbles 3 times or more a game. Tyler should be more involved in carrying or catching a football like he was in middle school. Let's face it, the quarterback coach was a former long time starting pro quarterback and Flatt called all the offensive plays. You figure it out. Defensively, you can't beat Rutledges offense by a read and react defense. You have to split gaps and go after the guy w/ the ball and put them on their back. The guys who play at BA are quick and strong. They can get after people if they were allowed in the defensive scheme to do it. I just don't think Flatt can out coach Rutledge. Our guys win games over the other opponents by just being better athletes, not better game time coaching. My opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, straplock. So what do you think it is - ego? Stubbornness? I have to admit that this is one of the rare times I've seen dissension in the ranks regarding Coach Flatt.

Along those lines, here's a question for you or anyone else. Is there ever a point where Coach Flatt's job is in jeopardy if he can't win the big one anymore? Or is he too powerful of an influence at the school where his time is over when he says so? And while I realize that Flatt still has a winning record (5-4) versus MBA, and that it was the former coach's 0-4 mark against MBA that has BA in the series deficit, one cannot help but wonder what happens if that trend continues for a few more years (not to say it will; just posing a "what if?"). I know John Cooper at Ohio State had a great career, but his ouster was in many ways due to an inability to beat Michigan, who at times gave the Buckeyes their only loss of the year.

Personally, I think CF is there as long as he wants (in large part due to the fact that BA is good for at least nine or ten wins in most years), and he certainly has many coaching years ahead of him. I say he will put the all-time wins record in Tennessee far out of reach by the time he's done coaching.

Coach Flatt will be at BA until he doesn't want to be at BA. He has earned the right to leave when he wants. There's no dissension. We all pull on the same side of the BA rope at the end of the day. It's just a fact. CF is going to do things the way he see fit and he will until he walks home from the BA campus for the last time. The kids will be prepared, in shape and ready to do battle. Many of them will play better than they were really capable of. He is a great football coach. So far, he just hasn't shown me that he can compete coaching wise with the man on West End Blvd. I will say this however, if BA does do what it looks like they should have done 2 years ago and put Bowker at QB and open it up a little. They will be hard to beat by anybody on the schedule - the big red included. Thanks for the dialog.

Interesting points Straplock, I agree with a lot of what you say, for starters I've heard Barry might play WR also, but I don't know who will be the tight end if he does because the backup Ralls has moved to tackle. Also, I agree Burris isn't quitting without good reason, I know him to and I know he's been a great competitor and player for years, I'll be sad to see him go. I aslo think Flatt will stay as long as he wants, he's like Paterno, he's just part of his school-however I don't think he'll stick around forever, he'll know when it's time to hand the program over. Finnally, as for your point about Flatt's play calling not working, I at times tend to agree with you. I do get frustrated sometimes running the same plays over and over, and agree with all the talent we have it would be better to let it fly a little more. But at the same time he's been doing this for over 30 years and that's why I don't complain more, I believe that he knows more than any of us, and I still believe he has another championship or two left in him, and I think this is the year. And good point about Tyler carrying the ball more, he was a monster in middle school- I really hope we stick with Brad at QB.

Interesting points Straplock, I agree with a lot of what you say, for starters I've heard Barry might play WR also, but I don't know who will be the tight end if he does because the backup Ralls has moved to tackle. Also, I agree Burris isn't quitting without good reason, I know him to and I know he's been a great competitor and player for years, I'll be sad to see him go. I aslo think Flatt will stay as long as he wants, he's like Paterno, he's just part of his school-however I don't think he'll stick around forever, he'll know when it's time to hand the program over. Finnally, as for your point about Flatt's play calling not working, I at times tend to agree with you. I do get frustrated sometimes running the same plays over and over, and agree with all the talent we have it would be better to let it fly a little more. But at the same time he's been doing this for over 30 years and that's why I don't complain more, I believe that he knows more than any of us, and I still believe he has another championship or two left in him, and I think this is the year. And good point about Tyler carrying the ball more, he was a monster in middle school- I really hope we stick with Brad at QB.

We'll see! Keep 'em guessin' guys! B)

Griffin is definitly the hardest hitter I've ever seen, I can't wait to see him on full time D.

As for the underrated player I am going to bring up a name seldomly mentioned, Drew Blount. Drew is around 6'0 260 and has great bench, squat , and power clean numbers. He also has good speed for his size ( he was a sprinter in middle school, before putting on a lot of weight ). If he can learn to play with much better leverage, and stop depending on just his upper body to get off blocks, this guy could be a real force next year, especially on defense with Stephen not playing. He's underrated because of his lack of playing time due to the depth at d-line. With that depth shrinking ( Burris not playing, Terrell possibly moving to LB ) I look for Drew to be a big surprise this year.

Wow...I just came across the recent slew of posts. I won't go into great depth on my feelings about Coach Flatt other than to say that they've been represented by each post in some way or another. He is a fabulous football coach, and I'll always stand behind him and the BA football team because Brentwood Academy is an indelible part of who I am. Flatt has also assembled one of the finest staffs in the world, and I believe they'll maximize this team's potential -- and then some -- because that's what they've always done.

Coach Flatt always supported my love for sports broadcasting even though he knew I wasn't built to play a down in a real game. He's always backed my efforts to publicize BA athletics and thereby gain valuable experience, and when I returned to my alma mater he greeted me as if we were old friends. From what I understand, sometimes Flatt doesn't exactly exude such altruism on the practice field :lol: , but in the grand scheme of things, he refines his players into capable men ready for any challenge.

After all, what real-life situation could ever be tougher than playing at MBA in a severe thunderstorm on their homecoming night?