Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

Lincoln County was STRONG in the 90's. I remember taking a bus ride with my parents to Fayetteville in 1990. Seems that ride took FOREVER. We lost a tough hard hitting game to them 27-14. They went on to win the state that year with Kelly Holcomb @ QB. It was a tough loss and long drive home. I remember another feller on our bus told us "don't worry yall, we will win it all next year" His words became prophetic haha

In the 90's and early 00's, Lincoln County was probably the toughest place to win a game in the state, in all classifications. It took Oakland some 20+ tries to finally win there, which coincidentally, they did in 1998.

In the 90's and early 00's, Lincoln County was probably the toughest place to win a game in the state, in all classifications. It took Oakland some 20+ tries to finally win there, which coincidentally, they did in 1998.

Yes sir. That was a very tough program at one time. I wished they would get back to that level, or maybe I don't? haha I remember in 1990 they had this FB. I swear the kid couldn't have been 5'7, but he weighed at least 215-220 and he was like a doggone battering ram. Hard as he*& to bring down. They would run him straight up the gut with the FB lead then would hand it off to Rod Buchanan their RB who was a slasher and dasher and just excellent. Very good combination.

Yes sir. That was a very tough program at one time. I wished they would get back to that level, or maybe I don't? haha I remember in 1990 they had this FB. I swear the kid couldn't have been 5'7, but he weighed at least 215-220 and he was like a doggone battering ram. Hard as he*& to bring down. They would run him straight up the gut with the FB lead then would hand it off to Rod Buchanan their RB who was a slasher and dasher and just excellent. Very good combination.

Thats what they call country strong. But I agree, Tennessee High School Football as a whole is at its best when its traditional power programs are at their best. 

Definitely. Had some knockout dragout games along the way with Oakland too :thumb:

My most recent memory of Oakland-Oak Ridge was in 1997 when Oakland blew a 28-0 halftime lead against Oak Ridge and lost 35-34. Little did I know that the first half success against Oak Ridge was a sign of things to come in 1998..................

My most recent memory of Oakland-Oak Ridge was in 1997 when Oakland blew a 28-0 halftime lead against Oak Ridge and lost 35-34. Little did I know that the first half success against Oak Ridge was a sign of things to come in 1998..................

Yeah that was a great comeback. I remember when yall wore blue uniforms. Now that is old school days.

http://www.oaklandfootball.net/images/action/2013/Playoffs_Siegel/_MG_0972.jpg That should be a picture of Oakland wearing the blue tops with the old school patriot decal

Is that the old New England Patriots Patriot guy on that helmet? Heck, I think NE should even go back to that look. I like that look a lot better then the guy on their helmets now. Jeffferson Co has always used the Old School Patriot decal, too.