Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

Best 1A team to not win it: Lake County 1984.

Most folks around here say that the 1984 squad was the best team to ever come through LCHS, including the undefeated 1980 team. They lost to ECS in the 2nd round of the playoffs after pretty much whipping everyone on the schedule that season. ECS returned the opening kickoff for a TD, and took a safety late in the game. Final score was 7-2. Everyone that was there said it was the greatest football game they ever saw. It was LC's only loss that season, and their only loss in 1985--when the Falcons won it all--also came to ECS in the first game of the season. ECS won the title in '83 and lost to Gordonsville in the final in '84.

If I'm not mistaken, Lake County had exactly 3 losses from 1983-1985, and all 3 were to ECS, twice in the playoffs.

Edited by bigwes68

The 1998 BA team with Benji Walker, Scott Wells, Josh Willoughby, Ian Bass and company. The team went undefeated in the regular season before losing a heartbreaker to MBA 19-21 in the State Championship. 3 of the players from that team went on to sign SEC scholarships: Bass (Ole Miss) Wells (UT) and Benji (Vanderbilt) as well as Willoughby signing with MTSU. This was a good team that didn't win a championship.

Well....Ol' BackyardLegend's memory ain't what it used to be...but I do recall a great Red Bank team that lost in the first round of the state to Cleveland High School.

I can't recall the year, but Red Bank had Marty Lowe (Louisville signee) at quarterback, Cory Simpson (MTSU signee I think) at wide receiver and John Becksvoort (Tennessee signee) as kicker. They were number one in the state and may have had a national ranking.

Anyways...Becksvoort barely missed a 40+ yard field goal at the buzzer to win it. Someone with a better memory might have a more accurate description of that game. I apologize for the vagueness. Like I said...I'm losin' my memory in my old age! :o

Until Next Time...The BackyardLegend is outta here!

Sequatchie County in 1973 lost in the State Title game to Dyer County 31-26. The team finished the season 12-1.

Sequatchie County's 1979 team went 10-0 lost in the first round to Polk County I don't have a score though? Who they beat 20-15 in the reguler season. Polk County then lost in the Semifinals to the eventual State Champions Alcoa 28-14.

Sequatchie County's 1990 team went 10-0 including a 7-6 win against the eventual state champions Marion County. They beat Livingston Academy 44-28 in round 1, beat McMinn Central 33-27 in round two. But lost at Home to Gatlingburg Pittman 31-6, Who lost to Marion County the next week 42-20!

Edited by Sequatchie

I have been tempted to post here from the beginning of this thread. I guess I will have to give in. '03 Cloudland in 1A should have taken it all. Was it the weak schedule, lack of motivation, not prepared enough, over confidence,....... We will never know the reason for the loss, but, a lot of people are still shaking their heads over this one.