Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

The 1995 Smyrna team was good. The best team by far ever at Smyrna until probably this year. Lost their first 3 games and then went to the Semis and lost in the last seconds to a Cleaveland team who had won like 50 straight. Luke Powells freshman year. Lots of good players who didn;t go anywhere because of problems or dicrimination (size,speed) from schools.

• 9 years later...

While not the best team to fall short of a title, the 2007 William Blount Governors deserve to be mentioned in the conversation. That team had gold ball level talent for sure and just didn't show up one night in November. That was WB's chance at a state championship.

1996 Goodpasture lost in finals to Webb. 14-1 Overall with 2 Mr. Football Guys.

Still considered the best Cougar team ever despite the fact they didn't win it.

this post prompted me to refer to the Westmorleand team of 95 that had both Mr. Football winners. They also beat Goodpasture(eventual state champs in 95) in regular season also played Meigs Co(state runner up) and lost 21-14 in a game that Westmoreland had 160 yards in penalties to Meigs co lone penalty. Another honorable mention would be Westmorelands 93 team that beat the 1a state champs Trousdale co 27-7 during an undefeated regular season then lost to sweet water in OT that eventually won the state championship that year.

While not the best team to fall short of a title, the 2007 William Blount Governors deserve to be mentioned in the conversation. That team had gold ball level talent for sure and just didn't show up one night in November. That was WB's chance at a state championship.

Agreed x100. That team had all the potential in the world. The way they blew it in the 2nd round was heartbreaking.

I see several mentions of the '92 Clinton team that lost to Gallatin in the Finals, but I have to throw in '92 Henry County as well, the team that lost to Gallatin in the semifinals 16-13. I was only in 8th grade at the time, but that remains one of the best (yet most heartbreaking) games I've ever seen. We were tough as nails that year. I'd put our 1992 team right up there with our 2011 team as being the hardest hitting bunch we've ever had.

I'll also mention our 2008 team. Some still believe that was the best team we've ever had, and they do have a solid case. 2 future SEC players in our backfield to go along with 6 or 7 other college prospects up and down the roster. That team steamrolled its way to the semifinals before falling to eventual state champ Hillsboro 31-24, who would go on to end Maryville's 74 game win streak the following week. 

1997: Melrose

1998: Pearl-Cohn

1999: Riverdale

2000: Marshall County

2001: Portland

2002: Crockett County

2003: Maryville

2004: Huntingdon

2005: Notre Dame

2006: Pearl-Cohn

2007: Fulton

2008: Lipscomb

2009: Maryville

2010: Camden

2011: Alcoa

2012: Alcoa

2013: Oakland

That is a list of notable teams from each year that I was shocked didn't win state titles and thought were good enough to win it all.

1997: Melrose

1998: Pearl-Cohn

1999: Riverdale

2000: Marshall County

2001: Portland

2002: Crockett County

2003: Maryville

2004: Huntingdon

2005: Notre Dame

2006: Pearl-Cohn

2007: Fulton

2008: Lipscomb

2009: Maryville

2010: Camden

2011: Alcoa

2012: Alcoa

2013: Oakland

That is a list of notable teams from each year that I was shocked didn't win state titles and thought were good enough to win it all.

I would agree with all, but the 2009 Maryville team. While they still made it to the finals that was not nearly as good of a Maryville team as most of their other finals teams. White Station handed it to them. They didn't have an answer for the White Station QB. Too big and athletically gifted for them to stop. Maryville had a pretty easy road to the finals that year I though. Just my opinion.

I would agree with all, but the 2009 Maryville team. While they still made it to the finals that was not nearly as good of a Maryville team as most of their other finals teams. White Station handed it to them. They didn't have an answer for the White Station QB. Too big and athletically gifted for them to stop. Maryville had a pretty easy road to the finals that year I though. Just my opinion.

The 2008 Maryville team that lost in the finals to Hillsboro could also be on the list.