Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

2011 Powell. Dyshawn Mobely led a great team that fell just short against Henry County in the State Championship Game. 1990, 1991 and 1992 Powell teams were really solid as well. The 1991 team lost big to Brentwood Academy in the Clinic Bowl though.

That truly was a great team that Powell had in 2011. I will never forget that game. It was more than just Mobley, that QB (McPhetridge?) and their defense were exceptionally solid as well. That was a knock 'em down, drag out dog fight. Iincredible football game between two great teams.

In single A Football:

Gordonsville-1983,1986,1987,1988

In 1986, the best Single A team to not win it was South Pittsburg who lost in OT in the finals to Spring Hill in a very dubious officiated game that suspiciously helped that town land the Saturn factory.  SP knocked Gordy out of the Playoffs in the 3rd Round at Gordy.  That said, the best pirate team that didn't win it was probably the 1970 team that went 9 -1 and didn't make the playoffs despite being the defending State Champs.

Edited by rlh

That truly was a great team that Powell had in 2011. I will never forget that game. It was more than just Mobley, that QB (McPhetridge?) and their defense were exceptionally solid as well. That was a knock 'em down, drag out dog fight. Iincredible football game between two great teams.

That's correct, his name was McPhetridge. Henry County had a great team, as well. Most notably that really tough running back. That Defense was excellent too. Powell hadn't been held to under 21 all season until the State Championship. Turnovers were probably the key to that game. The following season ended after a hard fought 32-27 loss at Columbia Central.

That's correct, his name was McPhetridge. Henry County had a great team, as well. Most notably that really tough running back. That Defense was excellent too. Powell hadn't been held to under 21 all season until the State Championship. Turnovers were probably the key to that game. The following season ended after a hard fought 32-27 loss at Columbia Central.

Oak Ridge gave Powell all they wanted and more that year. If not for an incredible game by Mobley and our starting QB going out with a bruised kidney before the half I go out on a limb and say we win that game, but it wasn't meant to be.

Oak Ridge gave Powell all they wanted and more that year. If not for an incredible game by Mobley and our starting QB going out with a bruised kidney before the half I go out on a limb and say we win that game, but it wasn't meant to be.

Quite frankly, I agree with you on that. The Oak Ridge QB was a beast. I remember that was a Thursday game that was on TV & I'll admit that Powell had some luck on their side that night.

Quite frankly, I agree with you on that. The Oak Ridge QB was a beast. I remember that was a Thursday game that was on TV & I'll admit that Powell had some luck on their side that night.

I appreciate your honesty. Yeah #15 for us was as tough as they come. They had to pull him out of that game or he wouldn't have even came out. He pis&* blood for a week after that game. Hate that he went out that game because we were on a roll until that happened. That was a hard hitting tough ballgame.

Agreed x100. That team had all the potential in the world. The way they blew it in the 2nd round was heartbreaking.

I can think of two distinct plays from the Bearden game that broke WB's back and spirit. If those two plays don't happen, it's a completely different ball game. That team was on the same level as Bearden, Farragut and Smyrna in 2007. One off night can send you packing though, and into the annals of the CoachT what-if's. 

1998 Lincoln County. They were every bit as good as Oakland and Riverdale that year, just did not get the bounces you need to win a state championship

Lincoln County was STRONG in the 90's. I remember taking a bus ride with my parents to Fayetteville in 1990. Seems that ride took FOREVER. We lost a tough hard hitting game to them 27-14. They went on to win the state that year with Kelly Holcomb @ QB. It was a tough loss and long drive home. I remember another feller on our bus told us "don't worry yall, we will win it all next year" His words became prophetic haha