Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

Scotty Whitt! Best HS RB I have ever seen. To beat it all he was probably an even better defender. Too bad he ruined his career. Sad story.

You are exactly right! He was incredibly gifted and could have had anything he wanted out of life. I'll never forget Oak Ridge at Clinton in 92. The biggest high school crowd I've ever been a part of.

You are exactly right! He was incredibly gifted and could have had anything he wanted out of life. I'll never forget Oak Ridge at Clinton in 92. The biggest high school crowd I've ever been a part of.

We gave y'all he** that year in a down year lol. That was a great game. That'92 Clinton team was tough. Whitt, Scarbrough, Weaver, Rhodey, Leinart etc etc

Edited by SweetScience

We gave y'all he** that year in a down year lol. That was a great game. That'92 Clinton team was tough. Whitt, Scarbrough, Weaver, Rhodey, Leinart etc etc

It was a down year as far as record goes but Clinton beat you 6-6-0. Halls, who lost to Clinton in semis beat you by 3. Lost to Oakland by 10 who post to Riverdale in playoffs I believe. Lost to PT who was a powerhouse in KY every year. And lost by 5 to Mo West. You guys literally could've been 10-0 that year. Unfortunately the way the playoffs were set up you couldn't lose many games and make playoffs.

• 3 weeks later...

The 2007 William Blount Governors! They finished 8-2 in the regular season and their only losses were by 1 point and were to Maryville (who was riding a 49 game win streak coming into that game) and Farragut, they were also really good and led by Andre Sterling. The '07 Govs were about as complete as a team as you could ask for, they had great athletes on both sides of the ball. Offensively they could hurt you through the air and on the ground. The QB was a threat to throw or run and he had a great RB to work with and great receivers to throw to. They were also huge on both sides of the line of scrimmage and dominated most games. Defensively they were also very good and would knock the crap out of ya. They posted several shutouts and had a few other games where they only allowed 7 points or less. On top of all of that they had a punter who could boot it 60,70,or 80+ yards. He went on to punt for marshall. Despite all of that the Govs flamed out in the 2nd round to a Bearden team that was playing as good as anyone in the state, they went on to lose in the semis to Smyrna. WB finished that season 9-3, which may not be very impressive to most people, but don't let that record fool ya. That WB team was great and had the potential to go 15-0 and win it all. Unfortunately they had an off-night in the 2nd round against a great bearden team that put a damper on those championship dreams. But I'd still bet on that WB team against any great Tn HS teams past or present.

2005 Oak Ridge.  Had been to the semifinals and lost to Riverdale the two previous seasons (2003-04).  OR beat Riverdale in the semis in 2005 and shut the warriors out 17-0 in what was Rankin's last game at RHS.  OR went on the next week to get beat in the title game by Ravenwood.  The Raptors were a good team and had several great players (Becker, Williams, and the QB whose name is escaping me right now), but many considered the game an upset of sorts since Ravenwood had only been in existence 3-4 years and were playing in their first state title game. Many assumed the Riverdale game had been for the championship but it wasn't so. OR had several great players that year led by Spencer Gulmire at RB.

2005 Oak Ridge.  Had been to the semifinals and lost to Riverdale the two previous seasons (2003-04).  OR beat Riverdale in the semis in 2005 and shut the warriors out 17-0 in what was Rankin's last game at RHS.  OR went on the next week to get beat in the title game by Ravenwood.  The Raptors were a good team and had several great players (Becker, Williams, and the QB whose name is escaping me right now), but many considered the game an upset of sorts since Ravenwood had only been in existence 3-4 years and were playing in their first state title game. Many assumed the Riverdale game had been for the championship but it wasn't so. OR had several great players that year led by Spencer Gulmire at RB.

+1 CU06. If that OR team had of been coached by Coach Lussier who left the year before I do believe we would've been state champs, but if ifs and butts were candy and nuts yadda yadda yadda. And the Ravenwood QB's name was T.C. Jennings. Tough little QB. Becker was a fine LB. It seemed like every time Spencer would get the ball he would be right there. Ravenwood had a great gameplan to have him go everywhere Spencer would go and it wound up working out well for them. Another if was the weather. It really put a damper on our aerial game.

1986 South Pittsburg lost a controversial A title game in OT to Spring Hill

1993 South Pittsburg lost in the Semi-final 16 -14 to Trousdale County

1995 South Pitt lost to BGA in the Semi-final 17-15 after SP eliminated DCA and FRA. 

2005 South Pitt lost to Friendship Cristian in the Semi-Final 14 -13

Those last 3 were probably due to not having a field goal kicker.