Best teams that didn't win State Title

REBELRON

This is an interesting column. There are a lot of great teams that did not make it to the big game, but still have legit claims to be among the best teams in Tennessee history. Let me add another one. Kingsport Dobyns-Bennett 1979 (9-1), only loss was to Science Hill, 9-7, in the second game of the season. DB won 8 in a row and did not get to go to the playoffs as only one team per district made the tourney back then. DB beat eventual state champion Oak Ridge in Kingsport in a classic 21-14 comeback win. That was the only blemish on the Oak Ridge record for two state championship seasons. The DB defense, led by Larry Cage (UGA signee), was punishing and gave up only 62 points all season. The offense had a strong option running game that featured David Templeton (Carson-Newman). In the final game of the season, DB blew out Elizabethton, 35-8. 'Betsy was the preseason pick to win the conference/district and had only one loss to Johnson City. Had there been a rematch with Oak Ridge, it would have been a real showdown. 

2009 Red Bank Lions. 12-1, lost to Greenville in the quarter finals 14-13 on a blocked extra point with less than a minute to go. The lions were ranked #1 in the state 4A for most of the season.  Great defense and a powerful offense.  Greenville slowed their offense down and went on and lost to Giles County and Bo Wallace in the championship.  Red Bank was led by Keon Williams, Keith Mayes, Kelvin Clay, Deres Benn, and Andy Christopher.

The 2012 Cheatham County Cubs: 12-1

Fairview (27-24)

Sycamore (42-14)

Montgomery Central (49-7)

Mt. Pleasant (56-42)

Camden (29-19)

Jo Byrns (40-6)

Stewart County (53-6)

Waverly (60-20)

Creek Wood (42-0)

Harpeth (55-6)

Grundy County (69-30)

Fairview (36-21)

CPA (21-37)

The 2001 Sycamore War Eagles: 11-2

Rossview (20-0)

Greenbrier (17-14)

White House (13-12)

Page (21-6)

Harpeth (28-21)

Marshall County (13-36)

Cheatham County (33-12)

Giles County (21-0)

Montgomery Central (30-12)

Kenwood (31-15)

Bolivar (30-7)

McNairy Central (38-7)

Crockett County (7-9)

The 1999 Harpeth Indians: 11-2

Cheatham County (14-6)

Marshall County (19-12)

Page (7-22)

Stewart County (60-7)

Sycamore (54-14)

Lewis County (7-0)

Fairview (40-0)

Loretto (49-7)

Richland (42-0)

Houston County (49-0)

Camden (47-0)

Houston County (43-6)

Huntingdon (14-45)

Those are the 3 best teams "from each school" in this county's history. Back during the mid 1990s (Pre-Sycamore High School) there were some teams at Cheatham County that were absolutely loaded (Ligon, Wofford, Watkins, Long, West, Bogle, etc.). Playing in regions with the likes of Pearl-Cohn, Beech, Father Ryan, Brentwood Academy, was always great football to watch as a kid. The 1994 & 1995 teams that lost in the 2nd Round to the Kenton Evans/Damien Dodson Memphis Westwood teams were as good as anyone.

Edited by howdoitknow

I saw that game. Alcoa was lucky to win that game. If #33 for Kingston doesn't drop that pass in the End Zone Kingston wins. Kingston was ahead when this happened. Alcoa also on their winning TD faced a 4th and 21 that they converted. Billy Williams leaped between 3 defenders and caught that ball. Kingston was really good that year.

Williams could play..didn't he play for the Rams or some team in the NFL?

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The best in Blount county to not win a state title are, IMHO

85 Heritage 9-1 lost in 3rd round Dunn brothers, Big O line, physical, Burns was very athletic and Lee Headrick was a great all around athlete,

86 Maryville- only lost to an AE team with 3 future NFL players. very underrated team. not as big as 84 Maryville but fast, tough and maybe more physical. Amburn, Ramsey, Buchanan, Lee

76- Walland tough mountain boys that had won it all the year before. Knocked out a good Lanier team with before losing in playoffs

Greenback 91 0r 92 - tons of offensive firepower with Greg Ryan and Brock Johnson. Probably more overall talent than the Greenback 87 state championship team

WB- 2007 has been mentioned. a ref's call away on an extra point from OT against Maryville during their crazy win streak. .

78 Friendsville team was really good if my memory serves me.

Lanier in the late 60s with 2 time scoring champ Jack Lane, the Dailey boys, Mutt Johnson and Larry Satterfield ( signed with Oakland Raiders I think?)

2012 Alcoa, but don't forget 1966 Alcoa with the Legendary Big Al (Sonny) Davis and his cousin David Davis both played in the NFL. no classifications then and champs were voted on.

1965 or 1973 Everett Bulldogs

• 4 weeks later...