Blount County Football Schedules

mhs

I noticed something interesting today about the upcoming football schedule. I was on the City of Maryville website and went to city schools. I was looking at the sports calendar for Maryville schools and it shows the Carter game is on Friday August 20th and the Jamboree is Friday August 13th! Practice does not start until August 2nd and this would mean that the Jamboree is a mere 11 days after practice starts. I had assumed that the jamboree would be the 20th and the week zero games that Maryville and Alcoa participate in would be Saturday the 21st. Does anyone know if this is accurate or not? August 13th seems awful early for the jamboree. That would only allow for one Friday scrimmage against another team prior to the jamboree. It would also mean if William Blount and Heritage do not play in week zero they will wait until 2 weeks after the jamboree to play their first game on the 27th.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Tell that to those geniuses who run your athletic department/school (I won't name names). Other teams in Blount County have played Week Zero games, and due to the Jamboree falling on Week Zero, the official games were played on either Thursday or Saturday. Since the almighty Maryville has decided to join the Week Zero fray, all of a sudden the Jamboree has to be pushed up a week. If only MHS didn't have to run (Read: 'fix') everything, people wouldn't hate them so much. It's like a big brother that always has to have his way and doesn't care how bad he looks in doing so...

Tell that to those geniuses who run your athletic department/school (I won't name names). Other teams in Blount County have played Week Zero games, and due to the Jamboree falling on Week Zero, the official games were played on either Thursday or Saturday. Since the almighty Maryville has decided to join the Week Zero fray, all of a sudden the Jamboree has to be pushed up a week. If only MHS didn't have to run (Read: 'fix') everything, people wouldn't hate them so much. It's like a big brother that always has to have his way and doesn't care how bad he looks in doing so...

I'm glad you hate us. I would not enjoy having to splain to others that you are a Rebels fan. Enjoy another beating of your tornados at the hands of the big red machine.

People like you Gonzo are what makes these boards difficult. Take your hate somewhere else.

I am assuming that the answer to my question is yes this is accurate. I really do not understand why this is being done. If you don't want to play the week zero game on Saturday, then don't play in week zero. Unless I am mistaken this will only allow them one scrimmage on August 6th and that will be only the fourth day of practice. I don't like week zero games and open dates anyway. If you are on a roll in October and have an off week it bogs you down. I really don't see how Maryville could have gotten the Jamboree moved by themselves though. Looks like the other three schools would have to agree. It is another great topic for the haters to beat to death though evidently.

I am assuming that the answer to my question is yes this is accurate. I really do not understand why this is being done. If you don't want to play the week zero game on Saturday, then don't play in week zero. Unless I am mistaken this will only allow them one scrimmage on August 6th and that will be only the fourth day of practice. I don't like week zero games and open dates anyway. If you are on a roll in October and have an off week it bogs you down. I really don't see how Maryville could have gotten the Jamboree moved by themselves though. Looks like the other three schools would have to agree. It is another great topic for the haters to beat to death though evidently.

I do know that there are some advantages to the open week. A chance to mend a little from the grind is always good.

I guess we will see what happens and then debate the open date. I agree that the potential lose of a scrimage is not good but remember the coaches are not too serious about jamborees. They mostly don't want to get players hurt. I would bet if you polled the coaches they would perfer not to have a jamboree.

Don't worry about Gonzo............he's not too brite.............just a hater.

maryville fans wonder why they are hated.say they have no hate but woe to those speak against them.most appear to be geaks who just gush the almighy rebels.just makes one wonder

I was just asking a question about the scheduling really. And the first response I get is someone pounding their chest about why everyone hates Maryville. Look at the world we live in today. Read the paper. Look at the people going to fight in a war and leaving their families behind. Seems to me hate is kind of a strong word to ever be used on a high school football board. A community and it's school are kind of like a family. If DrGonzo got on here and said he hates your family would you respond? Or would you be afraid someone would think you are a geek? By the way I checked the dictionary and I could not find the word "almighy" anywhere. Just makes one wonder. ;)

Edited by mhs

I do know that there are some advantages to the open week. A chance to mend a little from the grind is always good.

I guess we will see what happens and then debate the open date. I agree that the potential lose of a scrimage is not good but remember the coaches are not too serious about jamborees. They mostly don't want to get players hurt. I would bet if you polled the coaches they would perfer not to have a jamboree.

Don't worry about Gonzo............he's not too brite.............just a hater.

Yeah I agree there can be pros and cons for the open date. It really just depends on the situation when it hits. I agree about the Jamboree also. It is really just a money maker for the host school. And really the week zero games just made it less attractive since schools playing actual games the following night did not even dress their starters anyway. The worst thing is the scrimmage opprotunities it takes away and the repitition that they get from that.

Disregarding Mr. Bozo, I would rather have the scrimmages vs. Oak Ridge, DB or AE as scheduled that waste tape on a Jamboree. I think the real purpose of these things is to save the T$$AA money on the kids insurance or something along that line.

Being hated does not bother me much because when one is at the top it is a lonely place. I agree, hate is an ugly word and Webster’s defines Hate as an "Intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear". If my team had to play MHS I guess fear would be in order, fear that your "L" column would have another number in it at the end of the 4th qtr.

One would also have to be very ignorant to think Maryville had the Jamboree moved by their command, what a joke.

lonely at the top?if memory serves me right no gold ball in the halls of maryville last year. well it won't be cold there with all the sheep fans on here.so many that they keep the gold balls shiny. your right, hate is not a good word to use maybe just dislike.............................................

Disregarding Mr. Bozo, I would rather have the scrimmages vs. Oak Ridge, DB or AE as scheduled that waste tape on a Jamboree. I think the real purpose of these things is to save the T$$AA money on the kids insurance or something along that line.

Being hated does not bother me much because when one is at the top it is a lonely place. I agree, hate is an ugly word and Webster’s defines Hate as an "Intense hostility and aversion usually deriving from fear". If my team had to play MHS I guess fear would be in order, fear that your "L" column would have another number in it at the end of the 4th qtr.

One would also have to be very ignorant to think Maryville had the Jamboree moved by their command, what a joke.

I hate open dates and Jamborees, as well. What you guys have to learn is that one thing and one thing only is running high school football right now: Money. People are going to have their Jamboree, you better believe that. Maryville's AD, whom I'll refrain from naming, won't let that happen due to the enormous gate that Maryville receives. And you were right on about the T$$AA...I like that.