Ooltewah vs. Soddy Daisy

simonzander71

I think it is actually to Ooltewah's advantage if it rains. Soddy's passing game will suffer, especially in a driving rain. Ooltewah has the advantage in the running game; Soddy's greatest chance is in a strong passing attack against a defensive secondary that has at times looked a little suspect.

Rain could mean turnovers make a difference.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Well Well, I haven't been able to say that about a game in along time, but I think it is safe to say it this game. Game Break Down: Much Like Grads. ( We both seem to have great minds and think alike). This is an unbiased opinion as well.

Quarterbacks: Gary Orr maybe be better simply due to the fact that he has been able to throw the football more. Yet, never underesimate the throwing power of Zach Woods becasue Central did and look where it got them. Yet, Gary Orr will be able to throw the ball often and more. Advantage: Soddy Daisy

Running Backs:Soddy might have a good back in Momo Colbert, but nothing like DeWayne Caldwell of Ooltewah. I have seen many running backs this year and he has to be one of, if not the best I have seen. Ooltewah needs to run the ball around the ends, and try to keep Caldwell away from the tackles though. Advantage: Ooltewah

Wide Recivers:Gary Orr and Chris Ricketts have been a coach's dream all year. They have connected big in every game. It is important that they are able to keep the connection alive this game to assure a victory. Woods has some packages of his own in Lansden and Lowe, but they just aren't as big play as Rickets and Orr. Advantage: Soddy Daisy

Lines: Soddy Daisy and Ooltewah both have the biggest lines in the City, but the battle at this position could decide the game. Soddy is a little bigger, but I believe that Ooltewah's line has more skill and their talented fullback helps his running back spring the bring runs. This position is probably the best match-up and deciding factor. Advantage: Ooltewah

Linebackers:If not for the line, this would be the best match-up of the night. Ooltewah's core led by Burke and McDade have been the dominant force of the Owls defense. Yet, Bivens and the Daisy core of linebackers have been the team leaders all year. It is a toss-up at this position to who the advantage goes to here but Advantage: Soddy Daisy

Secondary:Soddy Daisy has a solid secondary that can step up and make tackles on the run as well as defend the pass if needed. They slowed down Rhea County's passing attack tremendously. Ooltewah's secondary has been their doubt all year, they are the key to the game for Ooltewah. If they let Gary Orr throw on them then the show might be over early. Advantage: Soddy Daisy

Coaching:Not a better match-up all year of coaches. Too fine coaches are Gatewood and Weathers. Weathers with all the experience under his belt, and has been in these big game situations before, this one might be his biggest besides the State Championship game at Red Bank. Gatewood has turned this Ooltewah program around. Ooltewah was once the laughing stock of the city, and now one of the most respected teams in Southeast Tennessee. Because of experience Advantage: Soddy Daisy

The unmentioned factor of the game: Homefield Advantage: Ooltewah at The Nest

I will lay out my prediction in the middle of the week along with the rest of my picks on the Chattanooga Area games.

thumb  thumb 's Up!!

825377537[/snapback]

three things:

Linebackers- Doodle is better than any one of Ooltewah's trio or just about anyone for that matter, but as a whole I think Ooltewah has the edge only because of their athleticism.

Offensive Line- Draw. Can't argue against either team. Caldwell has somewhere around 1,300 yards rushing for Ooltewah, and their line has opened up the holes for him. Gary Orr has over 1,000 yards passing and MoMo has over 500 rushing for Soddy.

Defensive Line- I was amazed at how bad Ooltewah's D-line looked vs. Central. Whether Central's QB is allusive or not, the line was no where to be seen. I know their technique is designed to let the LB's make plays, but the advantage has to go to Soddy because their line make plays also. I think this will be the deciding factor in this game. Ooltewah's line has physically dominated everyone so far. This will not be the case Friday. Caldwell will not have the holes he is used to, and while he will still make plays, he won't be as effective. Ooltewah's LBs will be forced to stop the run or pass, and they can pick their poison against a balanced attack like Soddy's.

Soddy 31

Ooltewah 21

Edited by give'emsix

But you have to remember that you can't make cuts as well in the rain, and that is Caldwell's signature, those quick cuts.

825378744[/snapback]

Great point, but you must also consider that they have a bull of a back in Williams who can break it open from the middle of the line. He is a great north and south runner. He is also capable of very big games.

Since I haven't seen Soddy play, I have had to go on what I have read and seen of their stats. Again, I think Ooltewah's weakest part of their game is the defensive secondary, and if Soddy can get it to their wideouts, Ooltewah could have some trouble.

Overall, I still think rain favors Ooltewah.