Dobyns-Bennett vs. Ooltewah

DRDB

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For all of you Ooltewah fans that are going to make the trip to Kingsport tonight you are going to experience the best atmosphere that you will ever see in high school football. It starts with pre-game hype and only gets better when the 300+ piece band comes onto the field playing the "CHOP". Get prepared for a great atmosphere and somewhat intimidating atmosphere for your team.

When McMinn played DB last year in the second round it was something I had never seen in high school football before.... Large crowd (10K +) , Large LOUD band, Tons of support for their team. Good Luck Ooltewah be sure and represent Region 2 5-A well. GO TRIBE!!!!

825418116[/snapback]

Owl Fans! :lol: Except for the loss and the long drive home, ;) how did you like the game atmosphere? thumb

Wow, great game! First off, congrats to Dobyns Bennett on the win. Now I will respond point by point in a respectful manner to the posts I can remember. A lot can be posted between the drive from DB to Chatt-town!

I really can't believe you DB fans arguing amongst yourselves about the refs. I agree, they were horrible - both ways! The refs cost either team nothing. DB won because they came through in the clutch, and they scored when they needed to.

As for the game....the reason it was 14-14 with 4 minutes left has nothing to do with the refs...it really has nothing to do with anything except you guys overlooked the Owls from Hooterville. They came into your house (which I was not that impressed with by the way...more on that in a bit...) and hit you with something you haven't seen all year. Yes, our season is done, but that game is nothing to hang our heads about. Ooltewah gave DB all they wanted and more tonight. Yes, DB won, but I'm proud of our guys.

Secondly, as for the classless argument...I think that holds no water either. You DB fans were bent out of shape and SILENT (until the end of the 4th quarter) all night! And even now, you're upset because you only won 21-14 and you know if you play like that again your season is over next week with the Trojans. So obviously the refs and the class of the Ooltewah football program is an easy target to bad mouth. I know the coaching staff and players of Ooltewah very well, and it is absurd that you even mention a coach being a part of something such as spitting. I'm about to watch the hit at the end to see actually how late it was. Duran, when kneeling the ball, did not go immediately to his knee....he took several steps back and then hit the ground. I'll let you know after I watch it.

Oh, as for Riggers question about the atmosphere. It was slightly above average but nothing special. The whole "walk" and band thing at the beginning was way overrated. It doesn't even go with the music when they run back to the midfield...I guess it was just a letdown after hearing so much about it. Secondly, there was a decent crowd there. The home side was full, but if Ooltewah was the only high school in Hamilton County and there was nothing else to do on a Friday we would draw that many too. There was definately more people at Ooltewah for the Ooltewah/Soddy game this year. The scoreboard was absolutely terrible. It was cool how it has the graphics at the top, but it didn't work half of the 1st half. The clock didn't run right when it got below a minute and I felt like I was at a UTK football game. They just shut it off...LoL. Also, when have I ever heard the PA announcer talk-back to the referee??????? Haha, I laughed out loud it was so bad. The clock kept running several times when it should...note I am saying that it was fixed AND in the playoffs especially, there is a TSSAA official doing it. So please don't say I'm blaming the running clock on DB. But the scoreboard and it's RED lights need to be worked on before next week! Oh, and if I played baseball for them, I'd hate playing left field on a crown! But a decent setup with the baseball seats.

This is a long post, so I'll stop here....more to come!

You said it yourself paintrain..."with the exception of a few, LIKE EVERY TEAM" I am sure there are a few players on our Ooltewah team who have bad tempers and can let their anger get a little outta control, in fact I KNOW we have some players like that...but don't for a second try to say that Ooltewah as a whole has no class. Now I don't know about the spitting water thing or whatever that was..but I am 99.9% sure that Ooltewah coaches were not participating in any of the negative things any Ooltewah players might have been doing. Coach Gatewood has more class than a lot of coaches I have seen..he is fair and he may lose his temper, just as any coach or player does, but he doesn't let it out in the way of unsportsman-like conduct. In fact, I've seen him call out players for things as small as throwing their helmets down. And I know that our guys have enough class not to walk down the other teams sidelines nodding their heads...or push and shove their OWN teammates. Boys WILL be boys...their is always gonna be those few players who let their tempers fly YOUR team included. Our team had just as much class as yours. Personally, I think yall are just upset from the scare we gave you. And don't try to make excuses..like bad calls or what have you, I mean yall won and congrats on the win..but it was a close game and Ooltewah did an AWESOME job and you cannot deny that. I am so proud of our guys for hanging w/ the #1 team in the state...when everyone including some from Ooltewah doubted them! Congrats to the Owls on an AMAZING season!!! I am gonna miss cheering for you guys, the last 4 years have been so much fun...especially this one!!! But don't worry..since I will be up at MT..I will definitely be there to watch you boys win STATE next year!! Good Luck, guys!

Wow, great game!  First off, congrats to Dobyns Bennett on the win.  Now I will respond point by point in a respectful manner to the posts I can remember.  A lot can be posted between the drive from DB to Chatt-town!

I really can't believe you DB fans arguing amongst yourselves about the refs.  I agree, they were horrible - both ways!  The refs cost either team nothing.  DB won because they came through in the clutch, and they scored when they needed to.

As for the game....the reason it was 14-14 with 4 minutes left has nothing to do with the refs...it really has nothing to do with anything except you guys overlooked the Owls from Hooterville.  They came into your house (which I was not that impressed with by the way...more on that in a bit...) and hit you with something you haven't seen all year.  Yes, our season is done, but that game is nothing to hang our heads about.  Ooltewah gave DB all they wanted and more tonight.  Yes, DB won, but I'm proud of our guys.

Secondly, as for the classless argument...I think that holds no water either.  You DB fans were bent out of shape and SILENT (until the end of  the 4th quarter) all night!  And even now, you're upset because you only won 21-14 and you know if you play like that again your season is over next week with the Trojans.  So obviously the refs and the class of the Ooltewah football program is an easy target to bad mouth.  I know the coaching staff and players of Ooltewah very well, and it is absurd that you even mention a coach being a part of something such as spitting.  I'm about to watch the hit at the end to see actually how late it was.  Duran, when kneeling the ball, did not go immediately to his knee....he took several steps back and then hit the ground.  I'll let you know after I watch it.

Oh, as for Riggers question about the atmosphere.  It was slightly above average but nothing special.  The whole "walk" and band thing at the beginning was way overrated.  It doesn't even go with the music when they run back to the midfield...I guess it was just a letdown after hearing so much about it.  Secondly, there was a decent crowd there.  The home side was full, but if Ooltewah was the only high school in Hamilton County and there was nothing else to do on a Friday we would draw that many too.  There was definately more people at Ooltewah for the Ooltewah/Soddy game this year.  The scoreboard was absolutely terrible.  It was cool how it has the graphics at the top, but it didn't work half of the 1st half.  The clock didn't run right when it got below a minute and I felt like I was at a UTK football game.  They just shut it off...LoL.  Also, when have I ever heard the PA announcer talk-back to the referee???????  Haha, I laughed out loud it was so bad.  The clock kept running several times when it should...note I am saying that it was fixed AND in the playoffs especially, there is a TSSAA official doing it.  So please don't say I'm blaming the running clock on DB.  But the scoreboard and it's RED lights need to be worked on before next week!  Oh, and if I played baseball for them, I'd hate playing left field on a crown!  But a decent setup with the baseball seats.

This is a long post, so I'll stop here....more to come!

825419719[/snapback]

Good post!

It was the greatest atmosphere when we lived there in 98-2000. I would expect a bigger crowd for SD.

What atmosphere? The scoreboard shutting off every 5 minutes? Your fans SITTING the entire game? I think I only heard them cheer 3 times, and that would be when yall scored. The band was great...but how many songs did they play? 4? I mean it wasn't bad...but it wasn't anything special! I like the atmosphere at Ooltewah just fine...scoreboard never gives us any trouble, fans are CRAZY and ROWDY..ESPECIALLY in games as close and intense as tonights! And our band...well they are #4 in the nation..haha! And they play SHOUT, enough said there haha!

You said it yourself paintrain..."with the exception of a few, LIKE EVERY TEAM" I am sure there are a few players on our Ooltewah team who have bad tempers and can let their anger get a little outta control, in fact I KNOW we have some players like that...but don't for a second try to say that Ooltewah as a whole has no class. Now I don't know about the spitting water thing or whatever that was..but I am 99.9% sure that Ooltewah coaches were not participating in any of the negative things any Ooltewah players might have been doing. Coach Gatewood has more class than a lot of coaches I have seen..he is fair and he may lose his temper, just as any coach or player does, but he doesn't let it out in the way of unsportsman-like conduct. In fact, I've seen him call out players for things as small as throwing their helmets down. And I know that our guys have enough class not to walk down the other teams sidelines nodding their heads...or push and shove their OWN teammates. Boys WILL be boys...their is always gonna be those few players who let their tempers fly YOUR team included. Our team had just as much class as yours. Personally, I think yall are just upset from the scare we gave you. And don't try to make excuses..like bad calls or what have you, I mean yall won and congrats on the win..but it was a close game and Ooltewah did an AWESOME job and you cannot deny that. I am so proud of our guys for hanging w/ the #1 team in the state...when everyone including some from Ooltewah doubted them! Congrats to the Owls on an AMAZING season!!! I am gonna miss cheering for you guys, the last 4 years have been so much fun...especially this one!!! But don't worry..since I will be up at MT..I will definitely be there to watch you boys win STATE next year!! Good Luck, guys!

825419724[/snapback]

Great post FlipN!

Oh, you said something about #1 team in the state...I know they were missing Lamon, but they wbetter improve a lot!

Good post! 

It was the greatest atmosphere when we lived there in 98-2000.  I would expect a bigger crowd for SD.

825419728[/snapback]

Thanks rigger. Yes, I'm disappointed that we lost. But I'm proud of our team. Dobyns Bennett is a good football team, and I wish them luck the rest of the year. They've got a good fan base, and altohugh I like playing at Ooltewah, DB is a good atmosphere too!

But hey, you DB people have got to get all those fans to make some noise! That would help you out so much on D! They sat there silent the entire game until 2 minutes left in the 4th quarter!

Art..... STOP whining about officials and say somthing about #7 making a fool out of our school?!?!?!?

Or the PA anouncer making a fool out of himself....... talk about "class"! Did you see "G Man"???? LOL

Coaches should be ashamed after they watch film and see #7 embarassing the school. I was actually hoping he would fumble on his long KO return in the 4th qtr! THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVER ROOTED AGAINST DB. NO class what so ever tonight! Maybe big donations to athletic facilities allow certain players to act like JERKS?!?!? who knows?

:lol:

and I AM from DB!

ROLL TRIBE!