Dobyns-Bennett vs. Ooltewah

DRDB

Hey Tribe, You called that game boring? Ooltewah hit yall in the mouth....literally. Ive never seen so many hard hits in one game. And the reason why the crowd wasn't into the game was because DB has not played a team like Ooltewah. DB fans didnt know what hit em when Ooltewah came out with so much intensity. Besides, Ooltewah doesnt just have one good player. Yall stopped Caldwell and we still threw all over your secondary. Yall made Woods look good for once. And you say 11-0 and 4 to go? Well its going to be a LONG 4 games to go for you and DB, buddie!

• Replies 491
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bottom line....

This DB team, just like most DB teams of the past, rarely bring their A-game. I think it would be safe to say we have brought our A-game only twice this year, @Oak Ridge & @Campbell Co. Im not trying to take anything away from Ooltewah, their a pretty good football team. But lets face it, DB is ranked #1 in the state and they come in "at home" and play like a #20 team. The score should of been 35-0. Theres no way if you hold a team to 5 first downs (1 in the second half), hold there star running back to 46yrds. and then have that team score 14 points on you. All because you can't stay "focused" on every play. Both scores came on busted coverage. The defense played great except for those two plays. Two plays that very nearly beat the Indians.

Then theres the offense. Ferguson probably had his worst game, but I'll give him credit he did keep his head and win it for DB in the final minutes. But in his post game comments he said " I just wasn't focused in the first half. I wasn't really into it, I was just going through the motions". So im thinking, what does it take to get this team "into it"? With the exception of Hayes (and even he droped a few he should of had) we didn't have a receiver that could catch a football. Three of Durans ints. should of been catches for DB. Williams being sidelined probably cost DB two touchdowns. During the game on the radio they kept giving updates on Fergusons stats for the game, that tells you something about everybodys mindset. DB has a very good running game! What are we saving it for? I don't claim to be a football coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So answer me this, If you are running for 7,8,10yrds at a time and you can't complete a pass, what do you do? If your DB you keep throwing and going three and out. That way it keeps your offense off the field and gives them plenty of time to rest. The coaching staff just tries to force the issue to much in my opinion. I think a couple more series of running the ball would of opened up the passing lanes and then Ferguson could of went to work.

;) Why can't someone get this team focused and ready to play a football game?

Is there not a electrical contractor somewhere in the Tri-Cities that can make this brand-new scoreboard work. Its been like this all year, and its getting embarrassing!

I was not at all surprised about the game being close, if you look at my posts from the start I was saying it was gonna be a close game, but...... We are still alive in the playoffs.... Yes they refs were terrible, terrible for both sides........ The fight between our players was inexcusable but I don't blame either guy, I think both are guilty of letting their emotions get the best of them, they have made up and will be ready to compete as a team next week against soddy, and we have Lamon back which will help. Our Defense did awesome, they scored on 2 big plays and were basically shut down the majority of the game. We made a lot of mistakes on offense, mistakes that were not charateristic of our team, but Duran himself said he would learn from these mistakes and move on to round 2. And about the coaches joining in the spitting, I didn't see any of them joining in, but they definetly didn't stop any of the players from the jeering and spitting as we ran past.

The Bottom line....

This DB team, just like most DB teams of the past, rarely bring their A-game. I think it would be safe to say we have brought our A-game only twice this year, @Oak Ridge & @Campbell Co. Im not trying to take anything away from Ooltewah, their a pretty good football team. But lets face it, DB is ranked #1 in the state and they come in "at home" and play like a #20 team. The score should of been 35-0. Theres no way if you hold a team to 5 first downs (1 in the second half), hold there star running back to 46yrds. and then have that team score 14 points on you. All because you can't stay "focused" on every play. Both scores came on busted coverage. The defense played great except for those two plays. Two plays that very nearly beat the Indians.

Then theres the offense. Ferguson probably had his worst game, but I'll give him credit he did keep his head and win it for DB in the final minutes. But in his post game comments he said " I just wasn't focused in the first half. I wasn't really into it, I was just going through the motions". So im thinking, what does it take to get this team "into it"?  With the exception of Hayes (and even he droped a few he should of had) we didn't have a receiver that could catch a football. Three of Durans ints. should of been catches for DB. Williams being sidelined probably cost DB two touchdowns. During the game on the radio they kept giving updates on Fergusons stats for the game, that tells you something about everybodys mindset. DB has a very good running game! What are we saving it for? I don't claim to be a football coach, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night. So answer me this, If you are running for 7,8,10yrds at a time and you can't complete a pass, what do you do?  If your DB you keep throwing and going three and out. That way it keeps your offense off the field and gives them plenty of time to rest. The coaching staff just tries to force the issue to much in my opinion. I think a couple more series of running the ball would of opened up the passing lanes and then Ferguson could of went to work.

;) Why can't someone get this team focused and ready to play a football game?

Is there not a electrical contractor somewhere in the Tri-Cities that can make this brand-new scoreboard work. Its been like this all year, and its getting embarrassing!

825420012[/snapback]

Pretty good post WaCo...Ooltewah was ranked 9th after losses to Oak Ridge and Farragut.

And I agree witht the scoreboard. It's really nice, it just needs to work! Oh, and change the light bulbs to a regular color...that red is hard to read!

Three of Durans ints. should of been catches for DB.

825420012[/snapback]

I agree with everything you said except this. IMO, the only one of the INT's that arguably should have been a catch by DB was the slant to Hayes that was taken away by a defender, and even that one looked like it was thrown into very tight coverage. You would have to see it from an endzone angle to really tell.

The first one was as horrible a decision as a QB could make (floater off his back foot while being hit), and I assume that's the one you agree was an INT all the way. The second one did hit a receiver's hands, but it was 3 feet over his head and traveling about 80 mph. Very, very few high school receivers are going to catch that ball, including Lamon. The other one was again thrown into coverage and was tipped by one defender and intercepted by another without ever coming close to a receiver. Bottom line: Duran had a terrible game, and I think he has said so. Duran has a great arm and throws a beautiful deep ball, but he is also frequently too high and too hard on the short and intermediate routes. He desperately needs to learn to use some touch on the shorter stuff, keep the ball down, and stop trying to throw the ball through a brick wall when he has a wide open receiver 10 yards away.

Okay, after reading the post game posts, here goes...

Duran WAS past the line of scrimmage on the pass to Sensabaugh. It was one of the chain gang that pointed that out to the officiating crew (chain gang are officials in the playoffs).

It was not a fight on the D-B sidelines, it was an assault by one player on another...underserving, unprovoked, and classless...the crowd became more quiet after that display and even more so after the coaches returned the offending player to the field...truly unbelievable.

The P.A. announcer wasn't arguing with the officials, he was merely informing them of the time that was on the clock at the time of the kickoff so that they could more accurately reset the clock to reflect the time that should have elapsed on a nonreturned kickoff...that time was 2:42 remaining (the P.A. announcer was a certified official for 22 years).

Ooltewah was a very good team...not the first time we got hit in the mouth (Jeff Cty, Oak Ridge come to mind), but a very good team. Woods did look good throwing the ball. I was very impressed with #33, #32, #10 - always seemed to be around the ball and tackled well.

The taunting before the game was a bit over the top...I was too far away to detect spitting...but, I'll ask around.

The officiating was bad...bad both ways...I remember one five yard penalty marked off against the Owls that went for six and a half yards...that is ridiculous...

I think they had trouble with the shotgun formation and the fact that the running backs can move when the ball is snapped, they do not have to wait for the ball to reach the QB...I know we had at least four motion penalties and the Owls had at least two when we both were attacking out of the shotgun formation...Grad and anyone else who sees the tape, please let me know if my thought is correct. I thought they might have missed a couple of blocks in the back, but I am a biased observer and so not taking that any further...

When a QB kneels to end the play, he doesn't have to be right at the line behind the center...the fact that Duran went back six or seven steps (or however far) to down the ball is perfectly legal...once his knee touches the ground he is down and a hit on him is a late hit and so the officials got that right...doesn't matter how far he fades to down, it once he is down contact becomes a late hit...same is true for any ballcarrier anywhere on the field...

It was a very good football game, you all slowed down our passing game and we slowed down your running game, we hit a big play late and that was the difference.

Congratulations to the Owls for a great season and good luck next year.

Roll Tribe Roll

Edited by skunk

I'm not as nice as Skunk, so here goes.

1) The Knox association officials need to stay in Knoxville.  They were so obviously biased, they made Bill Clinton look like a nice moral person.  Clip after clip and cheap late shot after cheap late shot by Ooltewah was not called.  Not not mention the kickoff by DB late in the 4th quarter that only took 2 seconds off the clock according to the officials, that was run by the owls a good 6-8 seconds.  That must be how they do math in Knoxville.

2) The Owls have to rank as one of the most classless teams I have seen this year.  After throwing several late cheap shots throughout the game, when the Owl player took a another shot at Duran after he kneeled on 4th down to end the game was deplorable.  At least the officials decided to call that one, but not before the Ooltewah sore losers decided to try and end someone's career.

3) To the DB player who took a shot at one of his own after he threw an incomplete pass, woe unto you.  You are part of a team, get your head on straight, and act like it.

825419025[/snapback]

Considering those cheapshots were legal doesn't really mean they are cheap! Its called getting after it until the whistle blows. I saw a lot of big blocks by Ooltewah and I didn't see any cheapshots so quit crying. SORE LOSERS??? Come on give me a break. Also, at the end of the game, tell your qb not to take his time downing the ball then he won't get hit. I thought it was a legit him considering he got hit right when he was going down. Again, playing until the whistle has blown. Good Game to the tribe but come on Ooltewah fought hard and long and deserves more from you other than SORE LOSERS!

Heckuva game for Ooltewah's underclassmen to build on! Taking the best team in the state to the wire is no small feat! Owls are bringing EVERYONE back next season, and you better believe this small taste of success is going to have them salivating for more next year!

Bottom Line, the better team won tonight, but the entire state better take notice for next season...

Very good post Skunk. I think you were right on about everything.

Ok, I've watched the very last late hit call. Why? Because #32, the linebacker flagged for it is my brother, and he wanted to watch it because he thought it was legit. The referee made the right call, BUT #32 hit the QB just a split second after the QB's knee touched the ground. Also, he did not hit him that hard. He could have killed him, but he didn't. He hit Duran Duran just hard enough to knock him over.

Should he have hit him, probably not. But emotions were high after a hard fought game, but nobody got hurt. Like IMAowl said, play until the whistle. If you're interested in seeing it, let me know and I'll email you the video.

Once again, congratulations on the win, and I'm pulling for you guys. IF it wasn't 3.5 hours away I'd come watch next week.

Edited by GradfromtheNest

Actually BigReno, on that last kick. There was 2:31 left when DB kicked off. The refs set the clock at 2:40 after the Ooltewah run back. Yes the gave them extra time on the clock, and that could of killed us. But then there was the DB defense!

825419047[/snapback]

No! THere was 2:42 left on the clock right before kickoff. Your annoucereven said that while he was argueing with the refs from the PA.(1st time I've seen that happen) On a kickoff the clock doesn't start until the receiving team touches the ball. You muffed it and we jumped on it and the whistle blew. I'm guessing it was about 2 secs. The refs were right and you are wrong. What else are u gonna complain about?

Edited by ImaOWL