Greenbrier vs Marshall Co.

Touchdown4Bobcats

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bulldog --

You're guess is as good as mine. Kevin getting his rhythm back may be part of it, but I really don't know. This is a team that had tons of potential and just got their heads down after three straight losses ( the first 3 game losing streak in the Mac McCurry era) and really never got them back up. They have had flashes of greatness off and on all year. They really should have beaten Greenbrier the first go around. The Greenbrier players appeared to think they were beaten, they had thir heads down and were worried. I think in the Sycamore game they were looking ahead a bit, maybe Sycamore and Marshall County is turning into the Tennessee/ Florida deal, Florida gets into the head of TN players most every year.

All I know is that they played four good quarters last Friday night, only one mistake all night long which was an offsides penalty late in the game. If they can find four more quarters like that this week we move on to the third round. Marshall County was not to be denied a win last week and they had better bring their A-game. Like I posted earlier, anything less and you will be a spectator next week.

Either way this will be my last game of the year unless MC makes it to the 'Boro. I will be in Chattanooga Friday the 19th (Lady Mocs and Lady Vols game and Gatlinburg the weekend of Thanksgiving)

Good Luck to both teams. I know each team respects each other maybe more than any other 2 teams in this region. But guys, don't leave anything on the field.

Hit Somebody -- Fairly and Squarely -- Between the Lines

825425485[/snapback]

As a long time Greenbrier football fan, I can tell you that the Greenbrier players did not get their heads down because they thought they were beat. They were never even behind in this game. They didn't play well....and still won. But the biggest reason they may have shown some implications of being worried, is because of the injury to their senior captain, QB and CB, Jacob Aldridge to a dislocated elbow. The crowd reacted the same way the players did.....very concerned because of what he means to this team. The hospital was full after the game of people in the community checking on Jacob. There was very little talk about the game.

Greenbrier knows very well Marshall County is a very solid football team, well coached and full of athletes, and we have a lot of respect for the entire program. They know Marshall is very capable of beating them and we must play an error free game to move on to the next round. But to say they should have beat them the first game.....well.... that is just a matter of opinion I guess.

I think we will see a game very similiar to the first. Greenbrier must not give up the "big" play....and Marshall must be able to stop the run. But both teams must take care of the ball to pull out a win.

Good luck to both teams. Hopefully this one will be injury free. I hope the Marshall team and all the fans have a safe trip up.

Guest catfish-hunter
I can't take anymore....Please.  Just because CBarkley/Catfish Hunter is kissing up to his previous coach, Tommy Tharp, does not make it a "win"..  Check CBarkley's posts.  He is all over the map.  You can go back and read where he does nothing but sing the praises of Herndon and how great Greenbrier is and then he flips flops with the wind.  Now he is all over Marshall County.  Maybe because Sycamore beat Marshall and he wants to make the claim the beat the state champ???  Wonder if he'd jump on the bandwagon if MC had beat them? You're as clear as glass, CB.  Ever heard of sour grapes?  Of all people you should know that Greenbrier can win twice over the same team.   

Everyone's going to go with who they THINK will win, (yes, just as I THINK Greenbrier will.)  It's all a matter of opinion, you'll find a couple of previous posters have an opinion about EVERYTHING.

825425891[/snapback]

I think that you should be spending more of your time preparing for Overton and less time downing people on this website. I have done nothing except give both of these teams the credit that they deserve. I will be the first to say that I was wrong if Greenbrier wins this game. I have been wrong several times about Greenbrier games this season, Montgomery Central & CreekWood come to mind right away. I have also been right on target with picking Greenbrier games this year, I said that they would beat Sycamore and Giles County by the exact same margain as they did. I knew that the Greenbrier-Page game would be close and I picked the exact score that happened in the game, but I had the wrong team winning. I thought that Greenbrier would play White House much closer than they did, but White House is a good football team who I have seen in person this year. I did predict Greenbrier to beat David Lipscomb, but I thought that there would be a little bit more points put on the scoreboard. You say that I want to "make the claim to have beaten the state champ", well I say that you are not a very wise induvidual. I highly doubt that you will see anyone from Sycamore getting on here and bragging about how great of a season 2004 was. After all, didn't we lose to White House??? Sycamore NEVER loses to White House!!! Since you are a big fan of reading my previous posts, then you would see that I said that Marshall County would beat Lexington last week. I may be wrong, but it looks like that happened to me. Now this week I am saying that Marshall County is going to defeat Greenbrier, and I truly mean no disrepect towards the Bobcats fans, coaches, or players but that is just my OPINION!!!!

Does it really matter who wins this matchup? They are going to get beaten in the next round anyways. Region 5-3A is possibly the weakest region in the state and it always has been. When Page went undefeated and said they weren't impressed with South Side, they got beat 25-0 at home. When Hightower led Marshall Co. to an undefeated year they were put out by South Side. The next year Marshall complained about field conditions in the Tennessan and then took a loss on the chin at home to South Side. Crockett County has also ended many a region 5-3A's season. No offense but Giles Co., and Montgomery Central do not need to be in 3-A. I am not saying that this year region 6-3A is the best in state but it is near the top and in the past they had the top three teams in state (2000, South Side, Milan, Crockett Co.) It seems to me every year some team from 5-3A gets the big head (I guess its fom the train whistle MC) and gets beaten. Maybe if you all would play football instead of gathering around the field to pay omage to 'Remember the Titans' (again MC) then you may be a good region. Some would say I don't know what I'm talking about but I've played in Page and had their crowd come behind our bench and throw things at me, I've had a certain head coach at Marshall Co. want to talk to me before the game to try and calm me down. I've been booed at MC and heard the many shouts of LEWISBURG while hearing that stupid whistle.

Like it or not the season is about to end...and there is nothing that any team form 5-3A can do about it.

. By the way coach mac won a state championship with  moore county also.                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

825425658[/snapback]

Mac went to the Clinic Bowl while at Moore County but came up 1 point shy, as he let the team decide whether tho go for the tie or a win with a 2 point conversion and came up short as they did not convert the 2 point play.

Also Marshall County got caught up in trying to protect a lead in the Sycamore game and got beat by being to conservative.

Either way this will be the game of the week in my book and anyone who differs you need to see a doctor with a couch in his office.

In my opinion, the only time that Greenbrier got down in the first MC game was when Greenbrier was up 20 to 7 and had driven almost to score on the opening possesson of the 2nd half. Greenbrier fumbles and doesn't get any points. MC hits a play for a 60 yard TD and the score is suddenly 20 to 13 and MC was back in the game. Greenbrier did seem to drop their heads at this point but got it back in the end.

looks like greenbrier is experiencing the gusts of hot air that blew thru crockett county the past two years.

the hot air will continue to blow from lewisburg until game day, then it will die down immediately the next day not to be heard from again until next year.

greenbrier wins this game by 14.

Edited by jshanes

looks like greenbrier is experiencing the gusts of hot air that blew thru crockett county the past two years. 

the hot air will continue to blow from lewisburg until game day,

825426449[/snapback]

If you will look at every post on this thread, the only hot air blowing is coming from the west and it smells like something that someone flushed this morning.

jshanes and legend -- I think there is a Southside - Crockett County thread that needs you attention. This thread is for sensible responsible adults to contemplate the game at hand.

The Bobcats are looking forward to this weeks game as well as the rest of the town...

Guys, don't let anything anyone says about ya'll get ya'll down...hold your heads high like you always do and keep class among ya'll. Greenbrier football players knows what it means to wear green and white and they've never let their team, coaches or the town down. We're a lucky little town to have such good, respectable guys on our football team. Practice hard guys and bring home another win!! thumb

Guest catfish-hunter

Okay folks, let's review the teams from both of these regions and the success that they have enjoyed for the past decade. We will start with region 5-3A. There is Page, who has won numerous playoff games and made back-to-back state semifinals appearences in '97-'98. In '99, the Patriots were a quarterfinal football team. Next there is Giles County. Giles went to the state semifinals in 1996, but lost to Memphis East (who we all know is no longer a 3A school). Next there is Marshall County. Since Mac McCurry became the head coach, after leaving Moore County, the Tigers have been a 3A powerhouse. Marshall County made quarterfinals appearences in 2000 & 2002 and are in a good position to do it again in 2004. Sycamore has enjoyed success very quickly since becoming a varsity competitor in 1999. The War Eagles made the quarterfinals in 2001, before losing to eventual runner-up Crockett County. Greenbrier has enjoyed tremendous playoff success since becoming a member of region 5-3A in 2001. The Bobcats went all the way to the semifinals last year before losing to eventual runner-up Covington. They like Marshall County are in prime position to make lots of noise in this year's postseason. Montgomery Central has made the playoffs many times. Finally, there is CreekWood. The Red Hawks have been in varsity play for 2 years now and they have already won more games than Liberty Tech & Fayette Ware combined. Also, since you guys want to count Milan as a part of your region then I'll count Cheatham County as a part of our region. The Cubs have been in the playoffs for the past three years now and are currently an 8-3 football team that many people feel will beat Huntingdon this week. Huntingdon is the best team in west-TN in any class, end of story.

Region 6-3A has Crockett County, who for the past 5 years now have been one of the top three 3A teams in the state. You counted Milan earlier, so I'll let you get away with it although they are a 2A team. Milan won back-to-back state titles in 1998 (2A) & 1999 (3A). The Bulldogs have also been to the quarterfinals and semis a few times as well. You guys have Jackson South Side, who has been to the semifinals one time (2000) and that is it folks. Outside of that, the only other team that is even worth mentioning in your pathetic little region is McNairy. McNairy has been the the quarterfinals once, but they lost to Page in 1998. Outside of that Bolivar, Fayette Ware, and Liberty Tech are GARBAGE. None of those teams could beat anyone in region 5-3A, end of story.

:lol:  B)  B)  :lol:  :lol:

Nice try with your FIRST post.  I can guarantee that Greenbrier's "finest" and residents KNOW how to spell Greenbrier.

Thanks for going back and correcting your spelling, but giving out someone's phone number is NOT COOL.  "Delete" is a good option.

825425926[/snapback]

EZ, nice try with you 307th post, but if you could read you would see that it is not Greenbrier's finest misspelling 'Greenbrier.' LilMiss is stating that Greenbrier's finest is saying "hey I’m sleeping......." Before you call someone out, at least try and read for comprehension, that is, if they teach that North of Madison.

EZ, nice try with you 307th post, but if you could read you would see that it is not Greenbrier's finest misspelling 'Greenbrier.'  LilMiss is stating that Greenbrier's finest is saying "hey I’m sleeping......."  Before you call someone out, at least try and read for comprehension, that is, if they teach that North of Madison.

825426616[/snapback]

This guy's trying to be a smart-aleck...and he's not very good at it. Go back to class or ask BombSquad for some help! His ars-enal is full of witty rebuttals.