Rebels vs. Vikings

THSVikings2004

To Much Bull on this thread--So please get back to Football!  Man Manning for four TD's in one half!!  TN HI vs. Maryville Friday

TN HI must stop Cade and Company but I don’t think they can match up with the multiple receivers Maryville has.  IF Maryville focused upon one or two receivers TN HI could slow the pass some but TN HI has not seen a quick strike passing attack like Maryville’s ever and Cade will have multiple targets from which to choose from.  The O-Line is big, experienced enough and healthy and will give Cade time to look the field. 

Maryville’s Running attack has been slowed a little with injury.  Singleton and Tank have stepped up big which are cornerstone maxims of the program.  Few teams enjoy this type of depth, and these two kids have raised the standard.  Tallent and Byner will be the starters but will both get some rest.  The run game will be more difficult to establish vs. TN HI because of their speed and size up front, but they are no way as big as Powell or as fast as Central.  Maryville will settle with 4-6 smash mouth yards and control the ball when needed and GQ will provide the standard play mix and take what TN HI gives.

The keys to stopping TN HI.

TN HI will run a form of the Wing-T.  Maryville has been effective in stopping the Wing-T the past few years in every contest.  GQ and staff have spent a considerable amount of time this week working the scheme.  Looking at film if Maryville stops RB Nidiffer from getting into the open field around the ends this will limit the running threat.  IF he gets open he can take it the distance.  He also catches a few passes out of the backfield.  Clearly the main threat.  TN HI relies on its pulling lineman to open up the ends and middle.  TN HI will try hard to establish the run game because if they don’t they’ll have no chance at beating Maryville because they can’t win with just the passing game like Maryville can.  IF Maryville’s Tucker, Smith and Cable stops most of what comes up the middle and Smith, Killebrew are effective maintaining contain Maryville should limit the impact of TN HI’s “O”. 

825452182[/snapback]

;) I think your going to be surprised at how well the Vikings defend the pass. The Viking secondary is yet to give up a signal big play over the top!!! That’s no exaggeration! And as I’ve said before the Vikings set a new school record for most interceptions in a season (24 I believe) two games ago. As far as “never defending the quick strike passing attack”… you are right in a sense. There has been no quarterback have enough time to establish a passing attack on the Vikings!

Cade is a real good quarterback… not a great one, and I think those big linemen should receive more credit for his success!

Bottom line… Maryvilles offensive linemen hold the keys to their success in this game. If they are able to give Cade time he will probably have a good game and the Rebels will wake away with a victory.

I look forward in see how you view your comparisons with THS to these other teams after you have actually seen the Vikings play. The funny part is you guys think you know what’s coming and have all the answers. The fact is that YOU haven’t seen or played a team like you are going to see tomorrow!! I have yet to hear any of you mention the special teams of the Vikings. A group that has scored more points than allot of offences in YOUR conference!!! KICK TO US… I DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!

By the way… Brandon isn’t the fastest of the THS backs although he is the weapon of choice (for obvious reasons). I guarantee you will remember several names in the THS backfield after this game… win or loose. And believe it or not… a couple of them will be back next year.

Good luck to both teams!!! I pray we have an injury free game. thumb

Vikings 24

Rebels 17

• Replies 808
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very good post, Shelly. thumb

I agree 100%. Noone ever mentions special teams. I just know that that is going to be the difference in this game. Assuming its not decided by turnovers and penalties.

If the Vikes come out with emotion like they did against S.East and Elizabethton (which I feel they will) they can put up a few points (say 14 or 21) while the Maryville offense is scrambling to make adjustments. Then we'll see where we stand at the beginning of the 2nd half.

Keep your focus and minimize the mistakes Vikings. Oh yea, and HIT SOMEBODY!!!!!

BTW I heard that the UT Vols is wanting to scrimmage the winner of this game, next week, so that they could see what all the hype is about. ;)

Hi, shelley hope its been a good one for ya! Lots of FOOD here and watching  Manning throw 6 TD's in 3 qtrs. Not a bad day, huh?

Your post above makes good sense. But its way too general. I say that 'cause you've only seen one of the teams you wrote about! I have watched both and the Vikes are good enough to play well in Region 3. They are also good enough to dominate Regions 1 & 2. But thats all.

I have mentioned the THS kicking game several times on this board. The Viking kicking game is awesome! They've returned 7 for a score?

But from the regions south of you, the scoring from your kicking game just makes it look like the competition is that much weaker. I would think a program such as Maryville won't accept your dare. They won't kick the ball to you. Knox Central had a very dangerous return team. Maryville scored quite a few times against Central but allowed them 1 return chance all night.(actually, there was another one late but counting that one so late in the outcome wasn't important.)

I have thought & thought how THS could beat Maryville and I truly believe its only going to happen if, and only if, Maryville turns the ball over several times OR Maryville comes out flat & stays flat.

THS isn't going to be able to rely on the kicking game and shouldn't count on Maryville giving the game away with turnovers or mistakes.

You mentioned the Maryville fans haven't seen a team like THS. I say you haven't seen or played anyone outside of Upper E T in 30+ years.

825452818[/snapback]

We've played a lot of good Virginia teams over the years.

;) Hello 03… I hope you had a Happy Turkey Day also!

I’ve heard a lot about the difference in the level of competition between regions 1 and 3 and the fact is that after Powell and Central the competition is very comparable. With that said… the success with the Vikings special teams (in my opinion) is attributed to execution and good coaching!! The 7 returns for scores barley account for 2 of the Vikings return men’s accomplishments and the have Three players that have and will challenge an opponents cover teams every time they touch the ball!! So if you’re looking to Central for a comparison … they obviously fall short of what to expect from THS. :ph34r:

03 you fall on fairly neutral ground so I have little doubt that you bring an objective view to the table… and I respect it as such. But I have to stick to my guns in that the game will be decided by the front lines of these two teams. Only 3 of the past 30 years even deserve consideration in the game tonight and we both know what happened in the last 1 of those 3.

I think another thing that will give Maryville the edge over THS is our experience, and the Viking's lack there of. Maryville will be making our fifth-consecutive appearance in the semifinals; THS has never played more than a 13-game season in the program's history. Another fact that stands out is in the playoffs under GQ, the Rebels are an incredible 23-2. Need I continue?? Well there are the facts, you figure it out. Like I said earlier, Maryville Rebels will be rollin onto the Boro.

:ph34r: I think your going to be surprised at how well the Vikings defend the pass. The Viking secondary is yet to give up a signal big play over the top!!! That’s no exaggeration! And as I’ve said before the Vikings set a new school record for most interceptions in a season (24 I believe) two games ago. As far as “never defending the quick strike passing attack”… you are right in a sense. There has been no quarterback have enough time to establish a passing attack on the Vikings! ...

I look forward in see how you view your comparisons with THS to these other teams after you have actually seen the Vikings play. The funny part is you guys think you know what’s coming and have all the answers. The fact is that YOU haven’t seen or played a team like you are going to see tomorrow!! ...

Vikings 24

Rebels 17

825452749[/snapback]

Nisstek & 1tshelley - Vikings' special teams are just one of the keys to Viking Victory! O & D will step up to the challenge of playing a very good Maryville team. (We know they like a challenge.) The coaches and players have prepared and will adjust as needed.

Vikings have a total PF-557 PA-111 Rebels have a total PF-536 PA-129

Avg PF-42.846 PA- 8.538 Avg. PF-41.230 PA-9.923

Margin of Win - 34.538 Margin of Win - 31.308

Opponent's Record: 77 W 68 L Opponent's Record: 77 W 68 L

(Va High's playing tonight for the title game.) (Any opponents left playing?)

On paper, you couldn't have two more well matched teams, but we all know it's not played on paper or in the past, it's what you do on the field tonight!!!

Vikings we love to watch you "bounce"... you will hopefullytake care of your keys and unlock the door to your ultimate goal.

Maryville Rebels - (Somedude's 3 TD's prediction) - 21

THS Vikings - 24+

This will be one hard fought battle. May all who attend be safe in our journeys, show good sportsmanship, and all the players on the field injury free.

I know its very late and you surely want to get to bed. But, I don't understand the last sentence of your post. Please help me with what you mean. I'm old!

825452916[/snapback]

None of the Maryville or THS players that will be on the field tonight participated in high school football before 1999 so they had no contribution to the success or lack there of in the years before that. Even the most senior players of this THS team have only had 3 other opportunities to advance to see competition outside UET. To make a statement about either of these teams before they were able to contribute doesn’t count. Does that make any sense? :ph34r:

Well, I finally had enough of just sitting back and reading all of these lovely posts, so I'm ready to through my 2 cents in. Let it be known, I'm a real REBEL through and through, my blood is black, and nothing will make me happier then to see good ole MHS win another one. I have seen THS play twice(im a college student, and i know a lot of THS alumni there, went 2 seem them with my friends) and i would say they seem pretty decent. now on with the real stuff. i've taken time out of my busy schedule 2 see 2 mhs games(alcoa and central #1) with some of these same THS friends, and there jaws hit the ground. comming from THS diehards, they dont think they stand a chance. sorry, but u havent seen anything like the red and black attack. and about casteel, he gave me heck all 4 years i was there, but he really is just a big softy. brown on the other hand, can get real p*ssy. just dont do anything stupid and get kicked outta the games for the rest of the year, but even if he tell u that, there are ways around it. and seniors, there will be a bunch of heck raisin former students in the stands this weekend helping yall. and a request, we attempted this last year, for the senior gift, try and get a picture of hershcel walker runnin over casteel and get walker to sign it for him. he'll love that

:ph34r: I think your going to be surprised at how well the Vikings defend the pass. The Viking secondary is yet to give up a signal big play over the top!!! That’s no exaggeration! And as I’ve said before the Vikings set a new school record for most interceptions in a season (24 I believe) two games ago. As far as “never defending the quick strike passing attack”… you are right in a sense. There has been no quarterback have enough time to establish a passing attack on the Vikings!

Cade is a real good quarterback… not a great one, and I think those big linemen should receive more credit for his success!

Bottom line… Maryvilles offensive linemen hold the keys to their success in this game. If they are able to give Cade time he will probably have a good game and the Rebels will wake away with a victory.

I look forward in see how you view your comparisons with THS to these other teams after you have actually seen the Vikings play. The funny part is you guys think you know what’s coming and have all the answers. The fact is that YOU haven’t seen or played a team like you are going to see tomorrow!! I have yet to hear any of you mention the special teams of the Vikings. A group that has scored more points than allot of offences in YOUR conference!!! KICK TO US… I DARE YOU!!!!!!!!!

By the way… Brandon isn’t the fastest of the THS backs although he is the weapon of choice (for obvious reasons). I guarantee you will remember several names in the THS backfield after this game… win or loose. And believe it or not… a couple of them will be back next year.

Vikings 24

Rebels 17

825452749[/snapback]

Good thoughts and your right the MHS "O" line and really the "D" Line of Maryville will need to step it up. No question the lineman have done a great job allowing Cade to look the field and maybe he is not a great QB, but he's very good most times and sharp. Cade has enough experience that he should not make mistakes throwing to double coverage. MHS does not always look for the deep pass but has done it when GQ see's a weakness or a player taking a play or two off, as some do. I am very certain Cade will have time to throw. One of the great adjustments that Central made was to get off the quick throw. In the first meeting Centrals QB tried to move around and found MHS to be fast into the backfield. They made a great adjustment as did Maryville to defend it. Maryville has had a very tough road this year in the play-offs and I thank the challenges presented by Powell and Central has well prepared the Rebels for the fight to come tonight.

On the kicking game, Maryville has not had to punt too often but defends it very well. Great hang times allow quick cover guys to get down field and generally force the other team to call for the fair catch. On kick offs, I doubt you'll get one short enough to return, so get ready to start 80 yards from the goal line after every kick-off. Drive safe and enjoy the game, you'll find most Maryville fans have class and are passionate about our kids and expect to be in Murfreesboro next weekend. Most also respect TN HI for their season but this is the big time up here, every year. Good luck. Go Reb's

Bristol Herald Courier Prediction

Football fans from Mountain City to Memphis have awaited this clash since September. Now it's here and many feel Maryville's tradition, versatility, and physical style make it a big favorite. But THS will have something to say about that.

I don't have time right now to finish it but I will give the predicted score.

Maryville 24

Tennessee 21