Oak Ridge @ Riverdale-Round 4

ORhoneydoll

I have been fortuneate enough to see both Riverdale and Oak Ridge play this year.  Both are very fast, athletic, well coached, and straight up GOOD football teams.  The one thing that seems to have come up a lot in this thread is the weakness of Riverdale's schedule.  I have only seen the Warriors play a few of times this year, including last Friday night versus Cookeville - and if Riverdale fans are expecting an Oak Ridge team that is similar to, or worse than, Cookeville, you Riverdale fans will be in for a very unpleasant surprise.  The only time I saw Oak Ridge play was against Dobyns-Bennett earlier in the year, and I can say that both Oak Ridge and Dobyns-Bennett would handily beat Cookeville as worse, or even more so, than the Warriors did Friday night.  Both Oak Ridge and Dobyns-Bennett have better players and teams than what was on the sideline for Cookeville Friday night.  This game will NOT be one-sided at all.  This will be a great matchup - the winner of this game Friday night most likely wins the state championship.

825444407[/snapback]

That is exactly what we had last year and exactly what I expect this year.

It's the semifinals of the state playoffs, both teams have multiple weapons, great defenses, and they look pretty evenly matched physically.

I'm not ready to put up a prediction yet...working on that now...but it will be a close game. Obviously, Oak Ridge has the best offense we've seen this year. They have balance and an explosive back.

Riverdale had the advantage in speed last year and likely has that again this year. Riverdale was smallish last year and had trouble with teams that could get really physical. They have grown up a lot and you can't go 'physical' on them anymore.

Last year, both teams came off of huge road games before the semi-finals. Riverdale had #1 Lincoln County, OR had old nemesis DB. I really didn't think either team was very sharp in last year's 'snow bowl'.

This is going to be a tough game....

• Replies 751
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, Gaston won't be playing college football next year.

He is just a JUNIOR...another year to break and set records! trust me unless things change...he will be a lock for Mr football.

825443864[/snapback]

I think he should have been in the running this year. The kid is a sensational back. He hits the line of scrimmage as fast as any high school back I have seen. We sat with his parents at the Blue Cross Bowl last year, and they are a class family. That young man should have a bright future ahead of him.

I was at the rdale vs cookeville game

some thoughts

1.Riverdale will begin the intimidation in warm ups. They will little by little drift over to your side of the 50. This is test no#1 to see how far you will you back up and defer to them? If you do you have lost test no# 1. My advice if the come to your side you go to their side.

2.They will walk slowly to the field during their entrance through the band. They will then throw their spear into the midfield R and start jumping around and taunting every player and coach in site. If you are on the field getting ready to kick off or receive they will get right in your face (I was suprised they didn't get a flag last week). My advise be ready for it and don't back up one inch or wait them out and come out last.

No one ever wins due to pre game stuff but if you are not prepared you can lose before you start.

Rdale has few weakness but a couple that may give a slight glimer of hope

1.Their secondary is average and their wealest link. Cookeville had people open all night and if they had caught the passes they had open it would have made it interesting.Passes over the middle or deep down the middle were open a lot.

2.Throw at no # 5 with your tallest receiver. he is very short and Cookeville took advantage of him several times. They eventually replaced him with no# 37 who is much better at coverage and a little taller.(really don't know why he doesn't start?)

3.Their o line especially no# 77 were sucking wind in the forth quarter. They began to hold a lot and were called for it late in the game. The not having to play whole competitive games may hurt their big lineman late in games.

4.Do not punt to #9 period

5.Miller does not want to go to the sideline on sweeps. Everyone plays him by getting up filed and turning him in and that is exactly what he likes. He will cut up field at the first chance. Stretch the field and make him bounce outside as far as possible.

6.Sell out sto top the run and make em throw they are very average throwing and the last 2 games have not looked sharp at all throwing( I guess when you run for a zillion yards a game there is not much need)

Just some unsolicited advice from someone that has seen them 3 times in person and a few on tape.

Be interested to know what "riverdale" poster thinks of my asessment Am I hitting the few areas that may give OR a chance?

Remember as noted on goverment required warning labels.

"These suggestions are for the amusement of our audience all individuals should seek the expertise of a qualified professional" :rolleyes:

Guest region4fan

Cat.........two more things to add.

Dodge the Spear when they throw it at you......probably not the best to stand your ground there.

Wear 2 protective cups and watch out when you are in a pile-up for that CHOP.

Cat.........two more things to add.

Dodge the Spear when they throw it at you......probably not the best to stand your ground there.

Wear 2 protective cups and watch out when you are in a pile-up for that CHOP.

825444480[/snapback]

Don'r forget, RedRaider will be on the field with Jeff Fisher, scouting the potential of Miller.

OR - QB Scott McMahon  12-22, 192 Yards, 1 TD pass, 1 Int, 1 Rushing TD

RB Spencer Gulmire  21 carries for 131 yards, 1 TD

WR JJ Wells 5 receptions 100 Yards

DB - QB Duran Ferguson  16-38, 187 yards,1 TD pass,2 Int,1 rushing TD

RB Stephen Moten  8 carries for 74 yards, 3 receptions for 53 yards

WR Lamon Williams 5 receptions for 43 yards

TOTALS for both teams

OR    33 rushes for 171 yards, 192 yards passsing,1 int, 1 fumble lost

DB    21 rushes for 131 yards, 187 yards passing, 2 int, 1 fumble lost

825442980[/snapback]

]

So you think you can run on Riverdale. Just look at the stats from the Cookeville game. All i heard all week is how good there running back was and that he was the best in the state. So look real hard at their rush yards and think again.

http://db.tennessean.com/hs/site/tennessea...=8623#morestats

82cat,

You said you attended the game? Were you there for warm-ups? Your first #1 above is about the exact opposite of what I saw during warm-ups. Cookeville warmed up on 60 yards of playing field and Riverdale warmed up on 40. Rather that create an incident, which is likely what Cookeville wanted, Riverdale just moved down 10 yards and continued running plays.

You saw something different than that?

AND Mr. Thompson is right . .all that kind of talk winds up posted in the Riverdale locker room just like their trash talking of us does in our locker room.  He does love Oak Ridge and supports them totally.  That's why he wants the boys to show what they can do instead of talking about it.  Any given Friday night any thing can happen 

I agree totally with Oakridge and Boyfromsi. In my humble opinion, we should show respect for Riverdale while showing support for Team Wildcat.

CAN YOU BELIEVE IT... Oak Ridge lost 30 seniors off of last year's team and we're back in the semifinals. The tradition still lives on in Wildcat Country.

RIVERDALE'S DECADE OF DOMINANCE... The Warriors have been the top football team in the state the last ten years.

OAK RIDGE'S DECADES OF SUCCESS... Team Wildcat has won a State Championship in the 1950s, 1960, 1970s, 1980s, and 1990s. Still looking for one in this decade.

HERE KITTY KITTY KITTY... I wasn't going to go to the game until I read that garbage. I'm PUMPED and FIRED UP now. :rolleyes:

SHUT UP... Okay, that is my one post for this week's game. Best of luck to the Cardinal and Gray. Back down to no team!. Good luck Warriors.

I KNOW, I KNOW, I SAID I WOULD SHUT UP BUT...One last thing, Oak Ridge posters, try not to argue with each other. Lets be as one. GO TEAM WILDCAT! :)

Whew, NOW I'm done :D

very simple this game comes down to OR finding ther way to stop miller running wild and riverdale needs to get outta ther big head after playing the weakest teams possible.If or played in that region gulmire would have more yards then miller dreamed about. they havent seen a team wit talent of or and they be ready this should be a great one. go cats

dont overlook the best junior running back in this game MR GULMIRE