white house loses to Melrose

kwc

I have to say that the atmosphere was nicer than I expected. I had no problems during the game or the long walk back to my car. About the only thing I heard was the home crowd yelling at the refs on a couple of occassions: "You f%^&ed up". Which the ref didn't. I did not see or smell any illegal products at the game. The sidewalk cookers did have some great smelling bar-b-q going! :(

The White House players were not intimidated at all. It appears the coaches on the other hand were. :blink:

All in all a good game and good luck to Melrose next week. thumb

• Replies 267
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to say that the atmosphere was nicer than I expected.  I had no problems during the game or the long walk back to my car.  About the only thing I heard was the home crowd yelling at the refs on a couple of occassions:  "You f%^&ed up".  Which the ref didn't.  I did not see or smell any illegal products at the game.  The sidewalk cookers did have some great smelling bar-b-q going!  :(

The White House players were not intimidated at all.  It appears the coaches on the other hand were.  :blink: 

All in all a good game and good luck to Melrose next week.  thumb

825454774[/snapback]

Dandy82, BigWheel11, Tnhsball1, & All the White House Fans,

First I would like to congratulate you on an outstanding season. You are a class act and have an excellent football team that earns respect on and off the field.

I am very happy that you came to Orange Mound and not only enjoyed two outstanding teams compete but glad that you came.

I know that you guys are going to 3A next year and the opportunity for us to play again may be a while coming, but hard fought clean battles between our teams is a testimony to what is good and right with High School Football. Good luck and I hope to meet some of you at State.

---OrangeMoundWest

White House website is updated. Couple of new features for our fans, a poll and a forum. Go easy on the forum...it's a school site. Keep it positive and encourage the boys. It doesn't have the space or moderating capacity of Coach T. Remember that for us.

White House Football Online

Story on seniors there also. Congrats to these fine young men on a great season.

One final note to the Melrose players and coaching staff. You are a fine and classy bunch of young men. To come to the buses and shake hands and congratulate our players was very classy -- it was heartfelt and genuine. Very mature group of young men.

825454654[/snapback]

Bdpweb, I didn't get to see the Melrose players come to the buses, but that is a class act. There was no way to shake hands at the end of the game because Melrose fans were rightfully celebrating their victory. I want to make sure everybody understands I enjoyed my trip to Orange Mound. Their fans were rabid and they cheered the whole night and that is a great high school football testimonial. Most metro teams we see have no fan base, but Melrose was different. There were some talkin' at the end of the game, and I would rather keep the trash talk on the boards, but I also spoke to a couple of young fans leaving the game and while they will talk smack, they also compliminated our team for a good, hard fought game, so I believe a lot of the talk is about the aura created at a Melrose game, because there were no problems. It is part of their home field advantage.

What?  It isn't cool to taunt in person, but it is cool to talk smack on a message board?

Let me guess...Melrose talked smack at the end of the game for no reason?

825454725[/snapback]

Stan, I'm surprised you can't see the difference. I thought you were brighter than that. Were you at the game or are you just one of the many ignorant masses who wanted to stir up trouble?

Congrats, Melrose. It was posters like Stan that made many believe Orange Mound is a heck hole. As a White House fan, I forgive the posters like Stan who don't understand the Melrose football program or the fans.

Congrats to Melrose. They have the athletes to win. I thought we played about as good as we could and just got beat by a better team and there is no shame in that.

Orange Mound...... First, the stadium was old, but it was a great place to watch a game. Plus, I didn't see too much slipping, even though the field gets a lot of play. Second, they do have fans sit in the visitors section and they are quite loud, which is good, if you're the home team. Third, I didn't witness drinking, but there was a certain odor in the air..... Forth, and probably why Melrose gets the reputation they have, were the fans who taunted us as we left. Not cool and nary a parent or police to stop it.

Melrose did a good job controlling the ball. Their running back is the real deal and their passing attack is there if they need it. We didn't have the speed or quickness to match up. I also thought their discipline was good and their playcalling, again, when they needed it, was good.

Defensively, Melrose is quick and getting to the corner is difficult. We were able to early but Melrose took that away in the 2nd half. We didn't get to exploit their kicking game and I thought that was big for Melrose.

Not pickin' on the refs, but I noticed, especially in the first half, that we had a couple of players who twitched almost every play, but it wasn't called. On the other hand, Melrose could have been called for holding almost every play, as they seem to have a habit of grabbin' defensive ends. Didn't really have an effect on the game, though. They let us play.

825454585[/snapback]

Great summary, Dandy82.

White House has an excellent team, great fan support...overall CLASS act! You all represented Nashville (?) well. I've never seen a visiting team bring that many fans (what, 14 chartered buses or so?) to the 'Mound! Very impressive.

I apoligize for the disrespectful actions of those overzealous fans.

Congratulations on a great season. I hope you'all had a safe trip home.

--TraderB

My hat is off to the White House program and it's fans. Did I see eleven chartered buses on the grounds and parked along the outside of the front gate? You guys brought quite a contingent of fan support ... kudo's to you all. Well done ... well done indeed! Those of you who made the trip ... I hope your experience was a good one... except for the loss, mind you.

That was a good game ... I was at the front gate ... in a very very very long line purchasing my ticket when Melrose scored it's first TD. I witnessed the rest. That was a spectacular performance by both teams.

I think Mr. Ladd is the real deal ... you could see his explosiveness. He just happaned to be running against a very formiable defense. I think every one who witnessed the game realiozes that both RB's are pretty good even though the Melrose RB had a better showing. I would like to hear from the White House fans on what they thought of 'Baby Ray' ... #52, the MLB of Melrose who is nominated for Mr. Football. I thought he had a very solid game ... heck ... the whole defense did. I agree with another poster ... Melrose took away the corners.

I even met some White House folks afterwards when most folks had left. I think the guy told me he was the dad of the fullback. We talked about the game ... they gave my boys a couple of Dr. Peppers to share between the four of them. Very nice folks ... they drove up to the game. I hope the directions I gave them to the Liberty Bowl got them to their destination.

All and all ... very good game ... what a semi-final game in the state playoffs should be like. I enjoyed the game White House, I hope you did too.

-OrangeMoundWest ... I was very impressed with Madison's play. He pulled out from under center too quick once ... but otherwise ... he played very well.

My hat is off to the White House program and it's fans. Did I see eleven chartered buses on the grounds and parked along the outside of the front gate? You guys brought quite a contingent of fan support ... kudo's to you all. Well done ... well done indeed! Those of you who made the trip ... I hope your experience was a good one... except for the loss, mind you.

That was a good game ... I was at the front gate ... in a very very very long line purchasing my ticket when Melrose scored it's first TD. I witnessed the rest. That was a spectacular performance by both teams.

I think Mr. Ladd is the real deal ... you could see his explosiveness. He just happaned to be running against a very formiable defense. I think every one who witnessed the game realiozes that both RB's are pretty good even though the Melrose RB had a better showing. I would like to hear from the White House fans on what they thought of 'Baby Ray' ... #52, the MLB of Melrose who is nominated for Mr. Football. I thought he had a very solid game ... heck ... the whole defense did. I agree with another poster ... Melrose took away the corners.

I even met some White House folks afterwards when most folks had left. I think the guy told me he was the dad of the fullback. We talked about the game ... they gave my boys a couple of Dr. Peppers to share between the four of them. Very nice folks ... they drove up to the game. I hope the directions I gave them to the Liberty Bowl got them to their destination.

All and all ... very good game ... what a semi-final game in the state playoffs should be like. I enjoyed the game White House, I hope you did too.

-OrangeMoundWest ... I was very impressed with Madison's play. He pulled out from under center too quick once ... but otherwise ... he played very well.

825455066[/snapback]

The internet stream had some challenges and I spent the game getting updates from my brother and entering posting them on CoachT. I am making arrangements for state and look forward to meeting you and others.

On Madison, wow, he's only a sophmore. I also heard that the TD catch that Monte made in the second quarter was special. I'm looking forward to seeing the tape.