Alcoa vs. Huntingdon for the 2a State Championship

MarshPitManiac

And here's another:

Alcoa has one last treasure to plunder

2004-11-27

NASHVILLE -- Johnny Depp's pirates of the Caribbean are fortunate they never ran into this bunch. They would have joined David Lipscomb's Mustangs at the bottom of the sea.

Alcoa High School, which sails its ship in the form of a bus and does its damage on a gridiron sea, secured its voyage to next Saturday's Class 2A State Championship Friday night with a 35-14 plank-walking of the host Mustangs.

``You know, you don't want to be the freakin' `Good Ship Lollipop' or anything,'' said head coach John Reid, who has steered the Tornadoes' program back to the state championship for the first time since 2000.

``We try to tell our kids some fun theme. Coach (Brian) Nix and I said we're just taking the pirates away because you've got to try and get some kind of theme when you go on the road.''

There were two recurring themes on this night: Lipscomb's dominance from a year ago, and the way Alcoa parlayed that 55-6 humbling into a year-long source of inspiration.

``The thing we were talking about at halftime was that we wanted to embarrass them on their field like they did us last year, when they knew that they were twice the team we were with experience and talent,'' said junior quarterback Joei Fiegler.

``Everybody doubted us, and even people at our own school said that we weren't good enough. So this is for everybody that doubted us. We're No. 1 in the state for a reason, and that's why they're No. 2.

``Last year's loss drove us all. It's what we talked about in the huddle. They were in the way of our goal. (The Mustangs) talked about going on, but they had to get through us first. That wasn't going to happen. We wanted to beat them worse, and we had full control of this game from the opening kickoff.''

Total command thanks mostly to the performance of tailback Dustin Lindsey -- the guy who wasn't a Mr. Football finalist -- and his unrelenting offensive line. The bruising junior sailed through Lipscomb's defense for 273 yards and two touchdowns on 39 carries.

``On Monday, we started out with all the bad remarks we heard about David Lipscomb, about how bad they were going to beat us,'' said Lindsey, whose total yardage was well past 300 after a couple of clutch receptions. ``We put it in a bucket, and we caught it on fire. It was a motivation.''

The fire fueled Alcoa's performance on both sides of the ball. The Tornadoes had their hands on the Mustangs' reins with a swarming, sideline-to-sideline defense that was one highlight hit after another.

``Last year, I don't even think we knew where we were,'' said sophomore offensive/defensive lineman Colton Reid. ``We had no clue of what we were playing for. This year, it was a whole different thing.

``We knew what we were playing for, and we did it, right here in front of everybody. Everybody told us we couldn't do it, and we did it right here in front of everybody. We were sick of hearing it.''

Coach Reid made sure his players never lost sight of important information -- his team, the coach noted, carried a No. 1 ranking into the contest.

``We kept telling our kids we're No. 1, and we've got the ones to be reckoned with,'' John Reid said. ``We kept telling them that because you've got to. And I was just thinking about that when the seconds ticked off. I think now people might take note that we're pretty darn good, but we've got to finish. We've got to finish next week.''

Completing the journey is already on the players' minds.

``Every game, they're getting better,'' Lindsey said. ``So, imagine what the state game is going to look like.''

Let your imagination run free the way Lindsey did against the Mustangs. The Tornadoes are loading up their pirate ship, and a piece of gold in Murfreesboro is the only acceptable plunder remaining.

John Brice is sports editor at The Daily Times. Write to him at: The Daily Times, P.O. Box 9740, Maryville, Tenn., 37802-9740, or e-mail him at: john.brice@thedailytimes.com

• Replies 762
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Weathers had one that's what it would have been.

hype n. 1. Something intended to decieve.2.Exaggerated advertising or promotion.

throw a d on it for slang!LOL

825457980[/snapback]

If you're saying that Weathers didn't deserve the Mr. Football award, which he didn't receive, I beg to differ. You apparently know nothing about him or this team. He has rushed for over 2300 yds. this season. During the regular season he had 1680 yds rushing, 21 TDs, over 200 yds receiving, and 5 interceptions. I understand your frustration that Lindsay didn't get nominated but don't take it out on a very deserving high school player. I'm sure Friday you'll see that there is no "hype" involved when it comes to Boo.

Go Mustangs

excuse the typo "WON"

825457983[/snapback]

Us backwood country folks do get to go into town on Saturday and who would have thunk that at our library, well they have these computers they let's us use for free,I'm not pulling you leg, I mean FREE. Now I don't know about some of the rest of the folks in these part's but I use some of my time on this web site so I can learn a little about things from people like you. In my quest to learn things, I have ran across some information that I feel I need to share with you because you know us country folk, we are all family.

When you make an error on one of your own post's,you can easily go back and edit it yourself,naw I mean it , you can. Learned that one from Miss Sally, she's worked in our library for years and she help's some of us out who didn't make it past the sixth grade. Sure was glad talking to you on a Monday though, it's a special treat to come to the library on a Monday. Good luck and if you need any help with that editing thing,well, Miss Sally will be glad to help you!!!!! :D

GO MUSTANGS!!!!!!!!!

If you're saying that Weathers didn't deserve the Mr. Football award, which he didn't receive, I beg to differ.  You apparently know nothing about him or this team.  He has rushed for over 2300 yds. this season.  During the regular season he had 1680 yds rushing, 21 TDs, over 200 yds receiving, and 5 interceptions.  I understand your frustration that Lindsay didn't get nominated but don't take it out on a very deserving high school player.  I'm sure Friday you'll see that there is no "hype" involved when it comes to Boo.

Go Mustangs

825458007[/snapback]

easy water boy, I didn't say he wasn't deserving. I am simply voicing my opinion and obviously you took it wrong.

If Alcoa didn't have two recievers, one with over a thousand and another with almost a thousand. I guess Lindsay would have rushed for 3000 or more. he actually has around 2000 after last friday. When I find the stats exactly I will post all of them. It's just that Alcoa's Offense is geared around 4 to 5 atheletes that make big time plays instead of two GOOD running backs.

Us backwood country folks do get to go into town on Saturday and who would have thunk that at our library, well they have these computers they let's us use for free,I'm not pulling you leg, I mean FREE. Now I don't know about some of the rest of the folks in these part's but I use some of my time on this web site so I can learn a little about things from people like you. In my quest to learn things, I have ran across some information that I feel I need to share with you because you know us country folk, we are all family.

When you make an error on one of your own post's,you can easily go back and edit it yourself,naw I mean it , you can. Learned that one from Miss Sally, she's worked in our library for years and she help's some of us out who didn't make it past the sixth grade. Sure was glad talking to you on a Monday though, it's a special treat to come to the library on a Monday. Good luck and if you need any help with that editing thing,well, Miss Sally will be glad to help you!!!!! :D

GO MUSTANGS!!!!!!!!!

825458020[/snapback]

:D

FUNNY... I would be willing to compare MY credentials with yours anytime.. hillbillee. Ain't younz down around those parts where the fimed dat dar delivereance?

easy water boy, I didn't say he wasn't deserving. I am simply voicing my opinion and obviously you took it wrong.

If Alcoa didn't have two recievers, one with over a thousand and another with almost a thousand. I guess Lindsay would have rushed for 3000 or more. he actually has around 2000 after last friday. When I find the stats exactly I will post all of them. It's just that Alcoa's Offense is geared around 4 to 5 atheletes that make big time plays instead of two GOOD running backs.

825458044[/snapback]

Actually, I would say if you didn't have those other weapons Mr. Lindsey would have had nowhere near the yards rushing he does now. JMO. Congratulations to all on a relatively "clean" thread so far. I'm sure the dam will bust any day now though. :D

:D

FUNNY... I would be willing to compare MY credentials with yours anytime.. hillbillee. Ain't younz down around those parts where the fimed dat dar delivereance?

825458059[/snapback]

Boy,get out of my head, how did you know that? You must one of those there mind reader's. Ain't that something!! As to go comparing things, well Mama says that there ain't right,so I guess that's out!!

Good Luck to you and your's Friday night and I truly hope we have an injury free game.

On another note, I am sorry your boy got overlooked, from what I have read about him he was most deserving. We had the same problem here last year and it wasn't fair to the player's.Politic's I guess. I do hope he get's to break the record Friday night but I hope we win!!!!

GO MUSTANGS!!!!

825458044[/snapback]

[/qu

The stats I have for him may be wrong but I have 2109 yds. and 40 TD's. I have a good feeling about Duck at least tying the record.

I hear Donald is a potential D-1 Rb, well Lindsey is too, in fact a few weeks ago he got a hand-written letter from Pete Carroll at USC, and our commentators said that he runs like a junior or senior in college. I can't wait for Donald to meet Ray Sykes (6-4, 235) or Brandon Warren (6-3, 230) at the ends, it'll be a good matchup.

I believe that Alcoa will come out victorious in this game, because Alcoa has too many weapons. If they somehow shut down Duck, Fiegler will hurt the Mustangs through the air hitting Warren, Lanxter, Sommer, and Bell.

Alcoa 27

Huntingdon 18

I just wish I was smart enuff to figure out how to add one of my own pictures to my signature like everyone else seems to be able to do :(

825458182[/snapback]

Go to "my controls" at the top of the page. Then click on edit signature. Add your text and set the font size and color. Click on Img and enter the url from the pic. Find the url by right clicking on the picture and going to properties. If this works I should have one of your pics below.