Maryville vs Melrose

REBELRON

Maryville[/url]Rebels' date='Dec 4 2004 - 05:40 PM']I think this is the first game that I've seen Quarles coach poorly...the field goals are going to bite him in the butt!

825467843[/snapback]

I agree with you. I think he could have an extra 6 pont cushion at least had he elected to go for field goals.

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wasn't able to go to the games because my car broke down this past week (had my reservations and everything ready to go!) --- so thank goodness they showed these games on TV this weekend.

It was an intriguing experience to see Maryville on TV for a change.

Congratulations to the players and the coaches!

I really did not know anything about Melrose whatsoever so that was also why I didn't stop by and post any opinions this past week. But the impression that I got that while I don't agree that Melrose was the best team on the field, they certainly had the best defense we faced all year.

I mean, I didn't think that we would run into anybody in Class 4A that would be able to hold us to 7 points. Even if we had kicked the field goals, that would still have been a pretty darn low scoring game for us.

But anybody that gives Hillsboro that much trouble, I'm not too surprised that Melrose gave us a challenge also because Hillsboro always did.

But Maryville always finds a way to win.

What a great game! Kudos to everybody who guessed correctly that this would be a low-scoring game.

And now if Maryville gets just ONE more state championship, they'll tie Brentwood Academy for having the most football championships in all of Tennessee. Be cool if that happens in the near future!

from an unbiased opinion from watching on tv..... Melrose actually appeared to be the better team but the best team doesn't always win and that was the case tonight.

825468085[/snapback]

TraderB here...

Congratulations to Maryville--2004 Class 4A State Football Champs.

Congratulations to Melrose. Great season.

Maryville, you beat us fair and square. NO EXCUSES! The best team won this ballgame. Overall, you outplayed us. You outcoached us, IMHO. My hat's off to you, Rebels.

Briefly, here are my post-game observations (I'm interested to know your post-game thoughts, as well):

1) Your Coach gets my coach-of-the-Year award..... Offensive mixture kept our defense on its heels. When Melrose clamped down on that short passing game, he went to that QB option, amongst other schemes....Defensive scheme kept our offense in check--no game-breaking big plays. Good job there.

If Maryville had lost, say, 12 to 7, he would get my BONEHEAD coach of the year award!! Maryville fans, tell me...Why on earth did he NOT attempt field goals on those 2 occasions, down in the red zone (6 pts potentially...)? I really couldn't figure that out! I thought ya'll had a decent FG kicker--don't you (as you know, Melrose does NOT have a kicking game...never has...)??

2) Your offense excuted like a well-oiled machine. Your defense surprised me, somewhat (I never figured they'd contain our speed as well as they did).

3) Melrose's coach gets Grade C+ ..... He made great defensive adjustments, after 1st qtr...Man, your QB "nickeled-&-dimed" us TO DEATH, with those short passes!

IMO, His offensive play selection was poor--TOO conservative! If was as if he was playing "not to lose..." He did NOT adjust his schemes, to take advantage of what was available/effective. He ran on 1st down way, way too much. It was NOT working--all night long! He didn't utilize enough schemes to take advantage/get Melrose's speed out into the OPEN field. The play-action pass was DEFINETLY setup, IMO; rollout, short passes/designed scrambles would also have been a plus.

4) Melrose's defense--it did it's job. Our offense just couldn't pop that big play (credit, Maryville), when we needed it.

Anyway, great game. Of course, I'm disappointed that Melrose did not win. It was a great season, anyway. Again, congratulations to all you Maryville fans. It was fun discussing the ins-&-outs of these teams, beforehand.

Edited by TraderB

TraderB here...

If Maryville had lost, say, 12 to 7, he would get my BONEHEAD coach of the year award!!  Maryville fans, tell me...Why on earth did he NOT attempt field goals on those 2 occasions, down in the red zone (6 pts potentially...)?  I really couldn't figure that out!  I thought ya'll had a decent FG kicker--don't you (as you know, Melrose does NOT have a kicking game...never has...)??

I attribute that to having a whole lot of confidence in the offense's capability to get a first down in crucial situations. It's not the first time all season they went for it on fourth down, even several times in the same game... but it's the first time they haven't converted in a while.. or from what I can remember.

But I'm sure Coach Quarles thought he would have plenty more opportunities to get down into the red zone later on in the game, and I'm sure he was pretty surprised that didn't happen. Remember Quarles, a former wide receiver at Furman U., is more offensive-minded than defensive-minded. If anything, I think our defensive coaches deserve more credit for this win than Coach Quarles, but it's a great staff overall and they work together very well.

2)  Your offense excuted like a well-oiled machine.  Your defense surprised me, somewhat (I never figured they'd contain our speed as well as they did).

This year was kind of unusual as far as our defensive play. I think Maryville's defense has overachieved the majority of the time, but sometimes they've had their share of problems (especially against, say, Alcoa, Powell and Central). So I never knew what to expect from the D. But they played great today.

4) Melrose's defense--it did it's job.  Our offense just couldn't pop that big play (credit, Maryville), when we needed it.

Yep, Melrose did a fantastic job on defense. It was an enjoyable game. If Melrose's offense had pulled off just one big play that both Alcoa and Huntingdon seemed to do at will in the 2A game, we would have been in REALLY big trouble. It felt good to get out of there with a win. :unsure:

I'm sure that if Maryville goes back to state next year (depending on how our passing game does more than anything, I think, with the loss of so many key players) Melrose will be there to meet us. Have a great off-season in the meanwhile.

1) Your Coach gets my coach-of-the-Year award.....  Offensive mixture kept our defense on its heels.  When Melrose clamped down on that short passing game, he went to that QB option, amongst other schemes....Defensive scheme kept our offense in check--no game-breaking big plays.  Good job there.

If Maryville had lost, say, 12 to 7, he would get my BONEHEAD coach of the year award!!  Maryville fans, tell me...Why on earth did he NOT attempt field goals on those 2 occasions, down in the red zone (6 pts potentially...)?  I really couldn't figure that out!  I thought ya'll had a decent FG kicker--don't you (as you know, Melrose does NOT have a kicking game...never has...)??

825468311[/snapback]

He said on the TV broadcast at halftime that they believed they would win and lose this game with touchdowns, not field goals...he's well aware that Melrose doesn't have a kicking game, haha.

Has Melrose ever thought about what my dad's alma mater (East St. Louis, Ill.) did the year they won the national championship? They got a big kid from special ed, taught him how to kick, and basically told him anytime you see this ball, kick it through those pipes. Hit almost every PAT all year, a few FG's too. And it'd be a good way to get a couple of kids involved in football that normally don't get that chance.

3)  Melrose's coach gets Grade C+ ..... He made great defensive adjustments, after 1st qtr...Man, your QB "nickeled-&-dimed" us TO DEATH, with those short passes!

IMO, His offensive play selection was poor--TOO conservative!  If was as if he was playing "not to lose..."  He did NOT adjust his schemes, to take advantage of what was effective.  He ran on 1st down way, way too much.  It was NOT working--all night long!  Rollout, short passes/scramble were available-- anything to get Melrose's speed out into the open field!

825468311[/snapback]

I wasn't there, but it didn't look on TV like Melrose even tried the short passing game tonight, and that may have been their downfall. I didn't have a problem with running on first down...the two sustained drives were run-based (first TD off a play-action, which helped set it up). The second one, only had one completed pass. I didn't think Melrose was consistent enough -- there were some big plays, but they couldn't consistently chew yards out, which Maryville was able to do -- get some yards, but not points.

4) Melrose's defense--it did it's job.  Our offense just couldn't pop that big play (credit, Maryville), when we needed it.

Anyway, great game.  Of course, I'm disappointed  that Melrose did not win.  It was a great season, anyway.  Again, congratulations to all you Maryville fans.  It was fun discussing the ins-&-outs of these teams, beforehand.

825468311[/snapback]

It was a great game to watch. I enjoyed it a lot.

i thought melrose defensivebacks should of got penelized the way they blasted the recievers after they saw he had no shot at catching the ball, on one drive they got away with 3 or 4 vicious late hits on rebel recievers. props to the rebel recievers for jumping right back up after getting cheap shoted. cade thompson is the best divison 1 A QB prospect in the state. melrose did look like they had more natural talent but just got out coached and out played.

Congrats to Melrose....Memphis is proud of you!!!

Opperman....I must put my 2 cents in....There is much more to kicking field goals and PAT's than "getting a big kid out there and telling him to kick it through the pipes". The Ridgeway kicker is in 10 grade, lucky to weigh 145 pounds and is 8 field goals short of breaking the shelby county record for field goals! He played from the middle of September with a broken ankle (injured it in a soccer tournament) and took the cast off the week they won their first game against Craigmont and hopped out on the field and booted in several field goals and did the kick offs and hopped back to the sidelines hoping the special teams would stop the return so he could get off the field.....you must have some discipline, accuracy and a love for your coach to do that!!!! (By the way, the dr. relased him the week of the Melrose game...ironically he didn't even get a chance to kick a field goal in that game!)