Who will coach Obion County next season?

oc_rebel_25

I have to disagree with you. The talent is there at OC. You may not have seen it because you were looking for those players a coach loves to have- the ones who know everything already and who actually know their fundamentals. But take a look around at the kids who need just that little something else to get going and there you are- a competative team. No student wants to be on a team who cannot compete with the others in their distict, so they choose to step aside and let others play. But let them start winning and see how many go out for the team. There is ALOT of talent at OC now and in the future and I hope whoever the next coach is takes this talent and builds a program that others envy for years. Keep your heads up REBELS!!! Your time is comming!!!!

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are a competitive and talanted athlete, you will play regardless of team record and opponents winning percentages. The very soul of an athlete should be to compete even when the odds are against them. We call people that step aside and do not play because of those issues losers. Losers only play when everything goes there way. So what if they didn't like their coach, or didn't like the fact that they may lose, a real athlete sticks with it and plays. Looks to me like some people in O.C. don't have the fortitude to do what it takes to win or at least be competitive.

ballhawk,i agree with you 100 percent on that manner. a winner will show up anywhere anytime anyplace.you dont have to like someone to play the game.you either love the game more or make an excuse.winners find a way and loosers make excuses not to compete. hopefully they find someone who undersatands this and geterdone.

If you are a competitive and talanted athlete, you will play regardless of team record and opponents winning percentages.  The very soul of an athlete should be to compete even when the odds are against them.  We call people that step aside and do not play because of those issues losers.  Losers only play when everything goes there way.  So what if they didn't like their coach, or didn't like the fact that they may lose, a real athlete sticks with it and plays.  Looks to me like some people in O.C. don't have the fortitude to do what it takes to win or at least be competitive.

825614731[/snapback]

so you are saying that there is zero basketball talent in this school, so i guess the boys should just turn in their uniforms and delete the boys basketball program!

Whoever it is,they need to take their time and make a thorough search...

We don't want another fiasco they had in football a few years back with seperate coaches for offense and defense,like two seperate teams...Remember that stupid idea???

825611209[/snapback]

I dont think I would call that a fiasco. Back then they had 90 kids out...unlike the Larry shanks years..when they barely had 30..And one "co-head coach"..has done quite well since his departure. Id call the larry shanks days at OCCHS..a fiasco.

My understanding conversations with Melvin Smith have gone on all week between him and the administration... 

Anybody have a moving van he can borrow??

825615090[/snapback]

Sportster, I'm beginning to think you are coach Smith's agent. So, how much is your cut??? :lol:

Just having a little fun with ya.

It will be interesting to see who is hired to guide the Rebels.

No student wants to be on a team who cannot compete with the others in their distict, so they choose to step aside and let others play. But let them start winning and see how many go out for the team.

the above is the definition of LOSER in webster's dictionary

and no coach wants these types, win or lose

as for who will get the job, i hear Butch Hopkins, Spencer Hoffman, and Kim Decker are the top 3

I dont think I would call that a fiasco. Back then they had 90 kids out...unlike the Larry shanks years..when they barely had 30..And one "co-head coach"..has done quite well since his departure. Id call the larry shanks days at OCCHS..a fiasco.

825615109[/snapback]

When you have the offensive players and defensive players separated, not even allowed to dress in the same locker room or talk to each other on the sideline, that's a fiasco.

Yes, it's true that Larry did not have a winning record overall, but he did have one over-.500 season and two 5-5 years with three state playoff appearances. He spearheaded the construction of new home bleachers (replacing the wooden ones built by the OCCHS shop class back in 1960), and he oversaw the fieldhouse project, giving OC one of the finest high school football facilities in Tennessee. Before Larry, no one wanted to coach football at OC. After he left (was forced out???) coaches lined up for the job. Fiasco?? No. I call that laying the foundation.

Now, back to hoops, I think Kim would be an interesting choice. I can't believe Spencer would want to come back after all the things that were said to have happened while he was there (rumors are still discussed on occasion). So, it willbe interesting to see how that plays out.

I see that this post has generated a lot interest, and a lot of opinions. some seems to think that there is not much talent at OC. Some think that the coaching is lacking. I believe maybe both are right. Talent comes in many forms. You can have atheletic talent,which only can take you so far, and you can have little talent and a great coach and it will only take you so far. what little I saw of OC this season they lacked both,and please I'm not meaning to put anyone down. So I guess the best solution would be to find a good teacher/coach, someone who can take lesser talent and bring out the best in the young men who to play the game. I remember a team such as that, as many of you close to the program. I have no preference in any coaches mentioned on this post, just hope that players, coach, administration, parents and fans can get on the same page. Come on everyone let's get Rebel Power back.

i would love to see Rebel basketball get back to their powerhouse form they once were with this new coach. but as we all know God didn't create the world in one day. This is gonna take a few years. I all just depends on whether or not the unimportant factors( adminstration,parents,etc.,especially adminstration) will shut up and let the coach coach and the players play. There is the talent there to be good soon. It just depends how that young talent is used and how the upperclassman fit in to the coach's plans. If he wants to rebuild and give the younger kids a chance then they will have to learn to shutup and take their role like a man. Same thing with the younger kids if the new coach thinks they can win now. I just hope they can get up to the level the OC girls are on. Mayb then the fans will stay untill AT LEAST halftime of the boys' game.