What is the key to Maryvilles winning???

fayfay05

I could care less, my son play for a Div II team.

But, the facts are facts.  Rutherford county has more talent then any county in the state.  If they had open enrollment they would dominate every year (Still do in a lot of years).  You can stick your head in the sand and think Maryville is great because of the coaches, or the history, or the facilities but any team could be good for years if they cherry picked their players from the entire county.  Just be grateful Rutherford and Williamson county do it the right way.  If Ravenwood or Riverdale could pick their players from the county, it would not be complete dominance by these teams.

Rutherford County has grown three times since 1990 in size moving people in here from all over the country before you jump down Maryville's back. Growing and cramming two thousand kids into a sardine can is what goes on there. Love to have two thousand kids to pick from and those kids you all have aren't all home grown, their transplants from other places. You all can't handle it because you can't beat us with your D-1 players. 97% of the kids on Maryville's team live in the City of Maryville and the other 3% pay $1,950.00 to go to school there. Maryville beat Blackman playing smarter which will always be any school's downfall from that county  against Maryville.

Rutherford County has grown three times since 1990 in size moving people in here from all over the country before you jump down Maryville's back. Growing and cramming two thousand kids into a sardine can is what goes on there. Love to have two thousand kids to pick from and those kids you all have aren't all home grown, their transplants from other places. You all can't handle it because you can't beat us with your D-1 players. 97% of the kids on Maryville's team live in the City of Maryville and the other 3% pay $1,950.00 to go to school there. Maryville beat Blackman playing smarter which will always be any school's downfall from that county  against Maryville.

The jealous, casual football fan is going to assume that Maryville just cheats all day long, when football people know that is far from the truth. For starters, Maryville has a staff that is probably better than alot of college staffs. It is not just all George Quarles, Coach Gaylor has been fantastic coordinating the defense.

Maryville also has a top flight feeder program, something that Rutherford County programs are starting to implement. These kids at Maryville are groomed from Day 1 being told that they great achievement they could hope to accomplish in their lifetimes is a gold ball for the hometown Rebels

Third. Maryville WILL NOT beat themselves. If you beat Maryville, it is a victory well earned victory. Siegel is the only team from 7-AAA that has come even close to playing a clean game against the Rebels. You turn the ball over against Maryville, you will lose, plain and simple.

When Maryville takes a risk (Trick/Special Plays) they ALWAYS work. It is amazing how it almost always pans out for them

Finally, consistently Quarterback play. A great QB does not always win titles for you, but a bad QB sure can ruin a chance at a title. Have not seen one QB at Maryville that I would label mediocre, and that is a credit to GQ himself

The jealous, casual football fan is going to assume that Maryville just cheats all day long, when football people know that is far from the truth. For starters, Maryville has a staff that is probably better than alot of college staffs. It is not just all George Quarles, Coach Gaylor has been fantastic coordinating the defense.

Maryville also has a top flight feeder program, something that Rutherford County programs are starting to implement. These kids at Maryville are groomed from Day 1 being told that they great achievement they could hope to accomplish in their lifetimes is a gold ball for the hometown Rebels

Third. Maryville WILL NOT beat themselves. If you beat Maryville, it is a victory well earned victory. Siegel is the only team from 7-AAA that has come even close to playing a clean game against the Rebels. You turn the ball over against Maryville, you will lose, plain and simple.

When Maryville takes a risk (Trick/Special Plays) they ALWAYS work. It is amazing how it almost always pans out for them

Finally, consistently Quarterback play. A great QB does not always win titles for you, but a bad QB sure can ruin a chance at a title. Have not seen one QB at Maryville that I would label mediocre, and that is a credit to GQ himself

Well said. Even when they don't have a great QB that mentioned QB still won't get them beat. Execution and limited turnovers is their M.O. Not to mention a great strength and conditioning coach and program. Something that is very underrated IMO. And last, but not least.....Depth. OR played with their starters for the most part in 2012, but when OR wasn't rotating in and out 20 other guys who were fresh Maryville was and it just wears the other team down eventually.

Edited by GaddisTossSweep

Great post. Most of Maryville's team is made up of your average good football players and every now and then there may be one that makes it to D-1 but not many. If I had to give someone one of the biggest reasons over the years that have helped them is that you either play defense or offense, not both. That has helped Maryville win so many fourth Quarter games in the past but so many teams that play us keep trying to play three or four kids both ways and by the fourth Quarter it bites them on the butt. A few trick plays haven't hurt either. Also one other thing that I enjoy more than anything is getting the ball with a minute or less left in the first half and taking it in and scoring while the other team is thinking about going to the locker room. You can bet out of fifteen games you will see Maryville score on someone at least ten times a year and it's almost became part of the game to us. So many times in the past this became the knockout punch for many teams we have played. Almost like a sucker punch before halftime.

Edited by BarneySox2007

Really Middle Tenessee guy?? I thought you picked your school to win it all...you didn't say this much about Oakland but sure got wadded up when I pick Blackman to beat them....SMH

• 11 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great post.  Spot on about the coaching staff. As great as George Quarles and Jim Gaylor are. I think the best coach on that staff is David Ellis. He is the OLine coach. I have seen many kids playing OLine at Maryville that were under 200lbs but did their job every Friday night. I will never forget Brad Coulter starting at RT at a whopping 170lbs. Kid was tough as nails and fearless.