New players at CPA

Hater247

For the life of me, I cannot figure out why this is allowed to go on at CPA.  He can't be bothered with the kids who are already there. They aren't good enough. Maddux is not there to be a high school coach, or develop his teams from the students in his school. Basketball is a completely different sport from all the others there.  He is there to build his own basketball academy. 

CPA just enables him to do so, by allowing him to enroll whoever he wants into the MS, whenever it's convenient, unlike the other kids who go through a process that can take months.  They give him an open gym for his elite/select leagues, rather than ask him to offer development for current students. Parents who hope their own kids are going to be his "next big thing" willingly house these players, pay their tuition, give their parents jobs, and take the good coach on vacations. It's unbelievable. It's a pattern, and if TC isn't enough proof, people are blind.

By following Coach on twitter, I don't recall seeing Coach tweet about any academic or other extracurricular activities.   And he is the director of admissions.  I'm going to ask him about their drama club or their band next time I see him. 

confucius say....broken pencils are pointless...chickhot2 definitely a broken pencil.

I agree with you slim, I have read chickhot's posts and he/she is smarter than this and knows that an 8th grader of this type will be starting from day one, in fact I would not be surprised if he was promised a starting position from day 1.

I have heard from more than one person that the split is a done deal after the 2014/15 season

is completed. CPA admin apparently know this and are being open and could care less what the TSSAA rules are since they will not be competing with publics after next year. If you think it is bad now, wait till the split happens and the bidding war between the privates will be in full force with no holds barred.

I agree with you slim, I have read chickhot's posts and he/she is smarter than this and knows that an 8th grader of this type will be starting from day one, in fact I would not be surprised if he was promised a starting position from day 1.

I have heard from more than one person that the split is a done deal after the 2014/15 season

is completed. CPA admin apparently know this and are being open and could care less what the TSSAA rules are since they will not be competing with publics after next year. If you think it is bad now, wait till the split happens and the bidding war between the privates will be in full force with no holds barred.

It will most likely be after the 16-17 season. With the next meeting not being until December, it is not going to happen unless football holds off on its scheduling til January. It does need to happen now and not three years from now. Let the privates compete for the talent among themselves. It should be understood that privates do have to recruit or they wouldn't have a school. They don't just show up (especially from Iowa).

The schools in CPA's district should make a statement and forfeit all their games to them to let the TSSAA know how unfair it is for public schools to have to compete on such an uneven playing field.

confucius say... the real problem in getting the split to happen is letting the 5A and 6A programs and administrators have a say in it...when it really doesn't affect them at all, with 98% of all D1 privates being in A and AA!!!  The voting and committees should be set up to reflect this 98% equation, but i'd bet that 50% of them will be from AAA schools.

confucius say... the real problem in getting the split to happen is letting the 5A and 6A programs and administrators have a say in it...when it really doesn't affect them at all, with 98% of all D1 privates being in A and AA!!!  The voting and committees should be set up to reflect this 98% equation, but i'd bet that 50% of them will be from AAA schools.

Excellent point! Gary Rankin started this problem because he couldn't beat Brentwood Academy.

I was just at the 7th grade AAU tournament and i watched coach Maddux approached several of the top players at the tournament.  He even approached my son and went as far as to offer "a sponsor family" if i was unwiling to move to nashville with him.  Its funny hes hailed as this excellent coach yet his team didnt even finish in the top 8 in the D2 division at the 7th grade tourney. Its easy to win HS championship when you run an AAU team on the court to compete against teams that have to develop talent based on whats available to them locally. Maddux uses these aau tournament as recruiting tools.  Its unfair to the kids that have to compete against these teams each yr. 

Edited by twhite21

You should report these tactics to the TSSAA. Try Bernard Childress, bchildress@tssaa.org or Matthew Gillespie, mgillespie@tssaa.org. Without someone doing something it will just continue, and unless a split takes place immediately it will continue in Division I for the next three seasons at least.

I was just at the 7th grade AAU tournament and i watched coach Maddux approached several of the top players at the tournament.  He even approached my son and went as far as to offer "a sponsor family" if i was unwiling to move to nashville with him.  Its funny hes hailed as this excellent coach yet his team didnt even finish in the top 8 in the D2 division at the 7th grade tourney. Its easy to win HS championship when you run an AAU team on the court to compete against teams that have to develop talent based on whats available to them locally. Maddux uses these aau tournament as recruiting tools.  Its unfair to the kids that have to compete against these teams each yr. 

I have no reason to doubt your story, but you do need to report this to TSSAA. That is blatant recruiting and needs to be stopped.