Franklin

BooWhoWiseMan

I heard that the kids went a visit during the week or something like that and the coach kicked them off the team. However, this could be wrong but idk. Even though I agree players should follow coach rules,  there really is no need for a ton of contact during  in season practices. 

Edited by zoneread56

53 minutes ago, workinprogress said:

I could be wrong but I don't think the school can give a statement due to privacy laws.

From what the paper said the dad was worried about the amount of contact. There are rules in place for this and I would guess the coaches follow those rules.

Page 30 of TSSAA Handbook pertaining to practice regulations.  No more than 3 hours in pads on a given single practice.   

14 hours ago, BooWhoWiseMan said:

From what I have been told OSU coach comes to practices to visit his recruit.  Tells recruit he doesn't like how practice is being run due to all the contact and then tells the recruit that he should not practice and only play in the game.  Webb says no practice no play and the parents are throwing a fit.  I do not blame the kid, parents, or Webb.  The college coach has absolutely no place to encourage or make those kinds of statements.  He should be fired on the spot for stupidity!

This all sounds very sensible to me. OSU is also recruiting the younger brother (and why wouldn't they, everybody else is), so what holds true for one ("Don't practice, it isn't safe, and you're 1-7, so it isn't worth it, either") holds for the other.

As to whether OSU coach should be fired... good luck with that. He's protecting his investment, he and his management probably feel entitled to talk this way, and they don't need to make any friends in middle Tennessee. The OSU brand trumps that. If Urban sees another kid a year or two from now that he wants, he will go after that kid, and there isn't anything Webb can do about it.

By the way, there is also a younger brother in the house, a younger kid, who will be a similar prospect in a few years.

38 minutes ago, Osage said:

This all sounds very sensible to me. OSU is also recruiting the younger brother (and why wouldn't they, everybody else is), so what holds true for one ("Don't practice, it isn't safe, and you're 1-7, so it isn't worth it, either") holds for the other.

As to whether OSU coach should be fired... good luck with that. He's protecting his investment, he and his management probably feel entitled to talk this way, and they don't need to make any friends in middle Tennessee. The OSU brand trumps that. If Urban sees another kid a year or two from now that he wants, he will go after that kid, and there isn't anything Webb can do about it.

By the way, there is also a younger brother in the house, a younger kid, who will be a similar prospect in a few years.

They don't need to make friends in middle tennessee it's true, but they sure as heck don't want to make enemies in a area that is growing exponentially in terms of talent, especially don't want to make a enemy of Donnie Webb, who is universally loved among coaches in this state. Webb may not be able to stop OSU from recruiting another player of his, but he's well within his right to ban them from his practices

Edited by MidTennFootball

From what I have heard the Wray family is a solid family and the kids are all athletically talented as well as high academic achievers.  It is well known that Coach Webb has a great reputation as a coach and as a person.  Although the Rebels are one game from being done since they are out of the playoff hunt.  It would be nice if things could be patched up before Friday so that Max would be able to play in his last high school game as a Rebel.  I wonder if the OSU coach is more concerned about protecting his investment because he knows there is no chance for FHS to make the playoffs and with nothing to gain why take the risk?  I can't say that I blame him but ultimately he should stay out of it and leave that decision up to the parents and coaches.       

10 hours ago, apsugov7 said:

I knew the Christian McCaffery effect would start trickling down to high school.

Yep, and the Bryce Brown effect as well. This is so sad for HS football!

13 hours ago, runtheball said:

If you are saying Webb is the problem then what you are hearing is wrong. The only thing outrageous is any alleged involvement by another coach. If any involvement by another coach is true then either follow rules of coach Webb or follow advice of outsider. Pretty simple to me.

There are always two sides to every story and what I heard there is stubborness involved here.

Webb is heavy handed and always has been. Saying that I'm going to put a huge BUT in here and say he is not wrong in this. It's called disclipine. No practice and no play! The parents are trying to make a stand here and if they don't get their way then they are going to show him.

Sad part is, regardless of another coach starting tbid ruckus, it's going to impact those two boys!

I understand both side, maybe what the college coach said got misconstrued ,

at 1-7 your senior season is done there is no reason to risk a serious injury , with all the heavy contact that your team is doing, playing for pride amounts to nothing at this point.  Then how is it fair if the other kids are practicing and the superstars are not.

the system put these two kids in a bad predicament, the high school coach and college coach should have talk this over first, and came up with a solution.  I can understand not wanting to take to much risk with the older brother, but the younger brother he got plenty  of time to get bang up and heal.

that $170,000 scholarship become lesser in value, and a unacceptable commit can change things if you

receive a major injury before you get to college now days , its all about risk while having a bad season, and these kids became victims .

This same scenery is now being implemented and played out in colleges prior to a kid knowing that he is a high draft pick, athlete are foregoing the final post season games  , just so they want have risk injury before the draft.

so where is he balance

Edited by riots