Maryville vs. Alcoa

Rebel Nation

Region 4AA Tournament  

43 members have voted

1. 1. Region 4AA Tournament

To me the big thing in any game is controlling the line of scrimmage. I give Maryville's D line a better chance of pulling this off than the O line. But it will be tough for both of them. Maryville has linemen going both ways so the usual depth advantage is not there this year.

Maryville needs to run, but be able to pass enough to keep Alcoa from putting 8 or 9 in the box. Ball and clock control will be important for Maryville IMO. The easiest way to keep Duck and co out of the end zone is to keep their offense off the field as much as possible.

Alcoa on the other hand is no doubt going to want to slow Maryville's ground game and make the QB, making his first varsity start beat them throwing the ball.

Offensively Alcoa wants to be balanced and use all their weapons. Maryville needs to try and control the line of scrimmage, slow the running game, and try to get pressure on Joei. And they MUST try to avoid giving up big plays to Alcoa. Like I said. They have a real challenge.

What do you think Tn23? Maryville clearly has their work cut out for them. I think they will come in with a little chip on their shoulder, not because of anything Alcoa has done or said, but just the way the game is shaping up this year. Alcoa is getting a lot of well deserved Pub. If it is close mid way through the fourth quarter I like our chances, just due to the fact that Quarles has had so much success in so many games like that in the past. But having it close at that point is Maryville's ultimate challenge.

What do you know about Hopkinsville TNVols? I have heard they are a 3A team in Ky that usually makes it to about round 2 or 3 of the playoffs but not much more than that.

Edited by mhs

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopkinsville is the runner-up I believe from their division last year. They have a new coach, which came from a cross county rival to coach them. Other than that, I don't know much.

I think that Hunt will have to be especially sharp, but more importantly, the Offensive line will have to perform at at least an A game to give Hunt the chance to be a factor. The biggest challenge will be Alcoa stopping the running game.

Maryville has their work cut out for them on D. They basically get to pick their poison: Stop the run and bring the safeties in & let Joei throw it on them, or play cover 2 and let Shivy and Duck run all night. The way they win is by picking the less potent one on that given night.

Maryville has their work cut out for them on D. They basically get to pick their poison: Stop the run and bring the safeties in & let Joei throw it on them, or play cover 2 and let Shivy and Duck run all night. The way they win is by picking the less potent one on that given night.

825716799[/snapback]

4 plays and now you think you are an expert..... :P

How soon do you forget that this is basically the same defensive front 7 that shut Alcoa down last year. Add depth at LB and the defensive line and there you have Maryville's front seven. I guess you don't know Maryville as well as you think 23. If you think Alcoa runs over Maryville then check out the other teams through the last several years that thought they could run over the Maryville defense.

Maybe you need to ask the Oak Ridge players and hear what they had to say regarding the comparison of Alcoa and Maryville. thumb

Alcoa has great athletes, sure, but it's not like the guys from MHS are fat, slow, and dumb. When you start making comparisons based on a 3rd party then it's getting into a lot of gray area in my opinion. I think it will be harder for MHS to win if they can't throw it though. Their QB is going to have to keep Alcoa honest. You never know though, MHS could rush for 300 yards and win 35-0. Edited by p9morbid

If you alcoa fans think that you are gonna score 28 points on the Maryville D, you have a rude awakening coming. This is the same D who when their starters have been in haven't given up a score to OR, DB, or AE . . . and that was without atleast a couple starters in each. Now i'm not getting on here saying that Maryville is gonna beat the crap out of alcoa or anything, or even that alcoa won't score. It is gonna be a battle, but I think that Maryville's depth, front seven on D, Maples, and the RB's are gonna be the difference for Maryville. I see Maples scoring atleast 1 td, and breaking some big gains on punt returns. The RB's at Maryville are just as good as the ones you have over there at alcoa, know that.

My prediction is MHS- 24 AHS-14

If you think Alcoa can be held under 20 points you might be in for a rude awakening. There is a huge difference in this year and last year...maturity. This years team would kill last years team and I am afraid the same is not true for Maryville. Now I am not predicting a winner here, but I am saying you guys are underestimating the scoring potential this game has. Anyway I will let you guys get back to the fussing that carries on on these things. thumb

Edited by coachspet1449

I saw Maryville in a scrimmage recently, and I know they're not like an actual game, but it does give an idea of what they're capable of.

Maryville's defense tightened on DB... WHEN THEY HAD TO. Their offense seemed pretty decent. I preferred their running due to the power of Ryan Tallent and his ability to avoid tacklers.

Their punter has the ability to nail the ball if he has time to do so, which could put Alcoa in bad field positions.

Overall, their ability to function as a unit seemed to be their best trait. Their biggest flaw is that injury bug that's going around down there.

My prediction

Maryville 21

Alcoa 14

ok, so here is how it is all going to go down this year. Maryville is going to go to alcoa, (flags in hand), and coach quarles is going to outcoach alcoa again. we arent going to win by brute force,we ar egoing to win because we are smarter than they are. alcoa has a very good offense yes, but tobe honest our defense should be one of the best we have had in recent years. we have an all senior linebacker group that can compete with anyone in the state. gary tucker is going to tear apart thealcoa line because they dont have anyone that can match up with him. lindsey is good, but what can he do when his line cant block our front four....nothing. andtheir passing game, dont make me laugh, i dont know what the big deal about fiegler is, he isnt really that good and i dont see him beating our dbs deep because maples is the fastest kid on the field, anlong with ryan tallent at the corner. our offense is sufficient enough to take alcoas defense because we all know they get tired in the fourth quarter. and we all know offense is coach quarles section,and no one in the state compares to his genius on offense. tallent will be the difference in this game. if he runs well, we win. i just dont think hunt has what it takes yet to control the game with his arm. our line isnt fantastic, but knowing coach ellis he will do whatever it takes to get them ready for the game, he always does. i think Maryville will win this one but not by a large margin, yes we will hold alcoa to twenty points or less because our defense is just too good for them. im predicting 24-17, go Rebs

825716799[/snapback]

4 plays and now you think you are an expert..... ;)

How soon do you forget that this is basically the same defensive front 7 that shut Alcoa down last year. Add depth at LB and the defensive line and there you have Maryville's front seven. I guess you don't know Maryville as well as you think 23. If you think Alcoa runs over Maryville then check out the other teams through the last several years that thought they could run over the Maryville defense.

Maybe you need to ask the Oak Ridge players and hear what they had to say regarding the comparison of Alcoa and Maryville. thumb

825716848[/snapback]

Come on now....I've always viewed myself as an expert :P I don't think that Alcoa will be running over Maryville though, I never said that. I just said that we have more depth at RB now, and a more mature QB. Also, our defense has matured and improved greatly.I think it will be a heck of a game.

Maryville wins big 21-0 bottom line the big head will get Alcoa and being the rivalry will help Maryville. Go Maryville!!!!!!!!!

825716964[/snapback]

And if you think that ALcoa will be shutout, then you are crazy.

Edited by TnVols23