Maryville- No Flags, signs, etc

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So what happens when a band that performs at halftime has flag twirlers? Are they also banned? Doubt very seriously if they would be.

Why not let the schools show their spirit - wave flags, clap, cheer, chant (ala a local baseball team).

Seems to me the administration has fumbled the ball here. It must be the debil that makes dem wave de flag.

The point is, if Maryville changed its nickname from "Rebels" the flag would not be so controversial. Period. You get what you pay for, and in this case...Maryville isn't kidding anyone. I do not believe the flag waving to be deliberately insensitive; however, it IS insensitive nonetheless. If you've been hiding underneath a rock for the past 200 years, the flag was used as a means of identification for Confederate states during the Civil War -- a war fought for many economic reasons, most notably the livelihood of Southern slave owners being diminished by Lincoln.

Anybody that honestly believes in their heart that a rebel flag is "heritage not hate" is:

A. Perhaps not old enough to understand the complexity of historical context(s)

or

B. Just a stupid redneck

(i'm not black)

I think most people would fall under B. I know that the Maryville fans want their flag because it represents their team. I don't see a problem with this. I just hate seeing people that wear rebel flags and wave them because of racism. That is one of the most ignorant things I think a human being can do.

I feel compelled to comment on the Rebel Flag issue based on something that happened in my home county in Kentucky a decade ago.

At Todd County Central HS in Western Kentucky our nickname was the Rebels. As you entered the school you were faced with the school logo which incorporated an American flag. On our basketball floor were painted two rather portly Confederate soldiers holding the Stars and Bars. Waving the Rebel Flag wasn't a regular practice but its presence was everywhere (including the yearbook cover). I never really thought much about it. I saw it as part of the symbol of my school. I knew it was a symbol of the Confederate South (and later the more historically correct Confederate battle flag) but I never thought about the fact that others might find it offensive.

My class of '91 senior ring has a track logo on one side and a Rebel flag on the other. Again, it was pride in my school and in no way an indication that I had any racist feelings whatsoever.

If you walk into the halls of Todd Central today you'll find no sign of the Rebel flag (except for old copies of the yearbook in archives) and there's good reason why.

Ten years ago three black students shot and killed a white TC graduate. The white guy was driving through a predominantly poor minority neighborhood with a large rebel flag flying from the back of his pickup, and he was also supposedly saying some racial epithets not printable here.

It brought to a head the racial symbolism of the flag and its ability to incite passions on both sides of the issue in a quiet rural county in Kentucky.

I was at my 10th reunion a few years ago and the topic of the flag was brought up while I was talking with a few friends, some black, some white. The black friends said that they didn't really feel like they could express that they didn't like the flag becuase nobody would've listened to them. I was wearing the ring that night but haven't worn it since and I'm thinking about paying to have the rebel flag removed.

I guess my point is that the Stars and Bars CAN and DOES often spike passions on both sides that are better handled through rational conversation. There should still be enough passion at a Maryville football game without waving the flag.

Now, it will be impossible to eliminate ALL offensive symbols to ALL who attend an event (for example, PETA members upset the football's made of leather). However not being allowed to wave a flag (or fire an annoying air horn) shouldn't change the passion Maryville fans have for a football program that's no question one of the top half dozen in the state.

I feel compelled to comment on the Rebel Flag issue based on something that happened in my home county in Kentucky a decade ago. 

At Todd County Central HS in Western Kentucky our nickname was the Rebels.  As you entered the school you were faced with the school logo which incorporated an American flag.  On our basketball floor were painted two rather portly Confederate soldiers holding the Stars and Bars.  Waving the Rebel Flag wasn't a regular practice but its presence was everywhere (including the yearbook cover).  I never really thought much about it.  I saw it as part of the symbol of my school.  I knew it was a symbol of the Confederate South (and later the more historically correct Confederate battle flag) but I never thought about the fact that others might find it offensive.

My class of '91 senior ring has a track logo on one side and a Rebel flag on the other.  Again, it was pride in my school and in no way an indication that I had any racist feelings whatsoever. 

If you walk into the halls of Todd Central today you'll find no sign of the Rebel flag (except for old copies of the yearbook in archives) and there's good reason why. 

Ten years ago three black students shot and killed a white TC graduate.  The white guy was driving through a predominantly poor minority neighborhood with a large rebel flag flying from the back of his pickup, and he was also supposedly saying some racial epithets not printable here. 

It brought to a head the racial symbolism of the flag and its ability to incite passions on both sides of the issue in a quiet rural county in Kentucky. 

I was at my 10th reunion a few years ago and the topic of the flag was brought up while I was talking with a few friends, some black, some white.  The black friends said that they didn't really feel like they could express that they didn't like the flag becuase nobody would've listened to them.  I was wearing the ring that night but haven't worn it since and I'm thinking about paying to have the rebel flag removed. 

I guess my point is that the Stars and Bars CAN and DOES often spike passions on both sides that are better handled through rational conversation.  There should still be enough passion at a Maryville football game without waving the flag. 

Now, it will be impossible to eliminate ALL offensive symbols to ALL who attend an event (for example, PETA members upset the football's made of leather).  However not being allowed to wave a flag (or fire an annoying air horn) shouldn't change the passion Maryville fans have for a football program that's no question one of the top half dozen in the state.

825690579[/snapback]

Great post <_<

At Todd County Central HS in Western Kentucky our nickname was the Rebels.  As you entered the school you were faced with the school logo which incorporated an American flag.  On our basketball floor were painted two rather portly Confederate soldiers holding the Stars and Bars.  Waving the Rebel Flag wasn't a regular practice but its presence was everywhere (including the yearbook cover).  I never really thought much about it.  I saw it as part of the symbol of my school.  I knew it was a symbol of the Confederate South (and later the more historically correct Confederate battle flag) but I never thought about the fact that others might find it offensive.

My class of '91 senior ring has a track logo on one side and a Rebel flag on the other.  Again, it was pride in my school and in no way an indication that I had any racist feelings whatsoever. 

Ten years ago three black students shot and killed a white TC graduate.  The white guy was driving through a predominantly poor minority neighborhood with a large rebel flag flying from the back of his pickup, and he was also supposedly saying some racial epithets not printable here. 

I was at my 10th reunion a few years ago and the topic of the flag was brought up while I was talking with a few friends, some black, some white.  The black friends said that they didn't really feel like they could express that they didn't like the flag becuase nobody would've listened to them.  I was wearing the ring that night but haven't worn it since and I'm thinking about paying to have the rebel flag removed. 

I guess my point is that the Stars and Bars CAN and DOES often spike passions on both sides that are better handled through rational conversation.  There should still be enough passion at a Maryville football game without waving the flag. 

Now, it will be impossible to eliminate ALL offensive symbols to ALL who attend an event (for example, PETA members upset the football's made of leather).  However not being allowed to wave a flag (or fire an annoying air horn) shouldn't change the passion Maryville fans have for a football program that's no question one of the top half dozen in the state.

825690579[/snapback]

Excellent post. With recent racial incidents in Blount County including the situation at William Blount high school and the recent vandalism of a Mexican store, Maryville City schools are being progressive thinkers once again...dealing with a potential problem before problems occur. I applaud them.

I am as southern as can be. Born and raised here and proud of it.

Many good men died fighting for the south that never had the means to own a slave or really be affected by anyone owning one. My ancestors were dirt poor share cropers that fought for the south they crtainly never owned a slave and fought honarably------- on the wrong side of a horrible issue. why would I want to celebrate that heritage?

I don't neeed a rebel flag or whatever to show that I love the south.

If I never saw a rebel flag again it would not change my sothern rooots or my love for the south.

Pretty much every time I see a rebel flag I don't swell with pride and think of my "heritage" I just think "wow what a redneck loser"

Can someone update me as to what has been going on in Blount Co to cause this? I honestly have no clue. If a plus member will just PM me that will be fine. Del, Emeritus, someone?

I have feeling about the whole issue that are pointless for this conversation, but I do think it is stupid to ban ALL signs, flags, banners, etc. We all know what the root issue is, so don't try to hide it. Maryville students are some of the best I have seen, and I love watching high school kids acting crazy to support their school (within reason of course). I suspect they will come up with something clever instead.

The lone thing I will say is that from my experiences, usually when something like this gets banned, right or wrong, it usually just breeds more feelings of anger than eventually are going to cause an explosion somewhere that I am afraid will have dire consequences.

I am as southern as can be. Born and raised here and proud of it.

Many good men died fighting for the south that never had the means to own a slave or really be affected by anyone owning one. My ancestors were dirt poor share cropers that fought for the south they crtainly never owned a slave and fought honarably------- on the wrong side of a horrible issue. why would I want to celebrate that heritage?

I don't neeed a rebel flag or whatever to show that  I love the south.

If I never saw a rebel flag again it would not change my sothern rooots or my love for the south.

Pretty much every time I see a rebel flag I don't swell with pride and think of my "heritage" I just think "wow what a redneck loser"

825690654[/snapback]

Ok you are missing the point. MHS kids do not bring the flags to the games to show pride in their heritage or roots. They bring them to show pride in their school. They are not confederate flags to them they are "rebel" flags more specifically "maryville rebel flags". If is kind of interesting that you resorted to name calling and profiling a particular group like that also, I mean is sensitivity toward certain groups not what got this started to begin with?