Roger Herndon denied Vandy entrance

CoachT

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That just shows us that Vandy is not about building an athletic program. They should exit the SEC and try and get in the Ivy or Patriot league. Nothing wrong with academics and athletics combined. If they want to remain in one of the best athletic conferences they should reevaluate their position.

Tennessean article

Interesting article. The family's view of this is impressive.

pic26142.jpg

825695580[/snapback]

I think it shows the true character, determination, and positive attitude Roger has always portrayed as a student athlete. It is also a reflection of how his parents have raised him and what his coaches have taught him.

Like many other colleges, Vandy recruited Roger throughout his senior year. He wants a Vanderbilt education and liked the coaching staff there. He attended every spring practice, all the team meetings, and even had his roommate set.

Most of us would have developed a negative attitude towards the school and the situation. Not Roger.....its not his character.

Thanks for posting the article.

The difference in this and the Mercer case is Herndon actually wanted to go to Vandy.

Vandy, according to Mercer, never was really in contention.

The similarities is that in recent administrations (subsequent to the days of Peabody) Vanderbilt athletics and academics are at odds with the concept of what is best for the institution.

I do not see a downside of admitting a Roger Herndon to your school. Academic success (read: "graduation) is predicated on a lot of factors going forward, with only one element being their academic preparation. Herndon appears to have this to most outside observers.

I submitted this to The Tennessean Letters to the Editor on 6/23/05 after I got sick of seeing the Vol thugs on the Sports section front page for a few days (of course, it wasn't picked to be published. But that's OK):

It never ceases to amaze me that some schools continue to let thug athletes have chance after chance, yet for those kids who are smart, have good morals and great character, they aren't worthy of the front page. Here we have Corey Campbell and Daniel Brooks continuously breaking the law up in Knoxville (according to The Tennessean, multiple times in the past two weeks) and kids like Greenbrier High's Roger Herndon can't even get an opportunity. He's the epitome of the student-athlete: very intelligent, respectful, hard worker, morally upright, 3-A Mr. Football and WANTS to do well in all that he does. Vanderbilt was recruiting him, pretty heavily, but at the last minute some 'brain' in the school admissions office says "no thanks," baffling even the coaches. Heck, all he's done is score a 27 on the ACT and graduate with over a 4.0 GPA. Is it me or is there something wrong with this picture?

Thanks, Jeff Lockridge, for a good article about a good kid.

That just shows us that Vandy is not about building an athletic program. They should exit the SEC and try and get in the Ivy or Patriot league. Nothing wrong with academics and athletics combined. If they want to remain in one of the best athletic conferences they should reevaluate their position.

First of all, before I start my post , I want to say that I am a HUGE college athletics fan. Football, Baseball, Basketball, Soccer, Hockey, Lacrosse, anything. I love college athletics. Also, I am a rising High School Junior , so I have no experience with this , and this is only my humble opinion. But I would like to ask the question : What is the purpose of college? Last time I checked , It was to get an education. No doubt Roger was a smart kid. With his ACT score and a 3.98 GPA, he is pretty much a lock for most colleges. But Vandy's admission standards are much higher. The middle 50% of admitted Vanderbilt students scored between a 28 and a 32. If these statistics are evenly distributed, that means that 25% scored below and 25% scored higher. Does anyone know if Roger took the SAT Reasoning Test? Because Vanderbilt is probably a selective school, and most selective schools would like you to submit an SAT and ACT score.

Anyway, that was only my opinion, and I wish Roger the best of luck and I hope he is admitted in 2006.

Go Trojans!

That is complete BS. How can Vandy expect to build not only their football program but also their whole entire athletic program. Herndon is the ideal Student Athlete. He has an almost perfect average, his ACT score meets their criteria, and He seems like a great kid. There seems to be something fishy about that whole thing, even if he did not get in with the football program, he could have also gotten in with his great kids. Not only is he smart but he also puts the numbers up on the board. If Vanderbilt will not accept a great prospect academically and athleticaly, then there is something wrong. Vandy can not compete at the SEC level if they keep making stupid decisions that can end up hurting their program. I say they need to get the heck out of the SEC if they do not care about their program, because that is what they showed by not admitting Herndon

This is crazy. What was the reason for him not getting to enrol at Vandy?

Don't take this the wrong way. I wonder if other top prospects will have the same problem next fall? I have nothing against any other player who goes to Vandy. I just think they need to be fair. I am sure there is other athletes who get special treatment. I was at a Senior Vandy camp early and heard a coach say that a 22 on the ACT is a good starting point to attend Vandy. There must be something else to this that is not being told.

825695654[/snapback]

For a football player coming in on an athletic scholarship, 22 on the ACT would be great. For the regular admission process, it would take special circumstances for it to be considered.

For a football player coming in on an athletic scholarship, 22 on the ACT would be great.  For the regular admission process, it would take special circumstances for it to be considered.

825695718[/snapback]

How about the right zip code? Such a great potential for Vandy with a great total package and they blow it. :lol: