Alcoa Vs. Maryville

TnFootballfan

This Hopkinsville experience was bad from the time Alcoa step on the field. Starting with a 20 minute memorial to their returning hero and newly appointed head coach, Dickey Jones. The BW issues was only the most notable. I beleive JR was tired of all the questions about BW and the Hopkinsville player and the fact he scored their only TD. By the way, against Alcoa's 2nd team.

Is he perfect and does everyhting right and always say the perfect quote that everyone wants to hear, no. However, he is a class act when it comes to directing his players and team in doing the right things to be the best they can no only as FB players but students and future citizens. What about last week..an exception far from the case.

By the way, as head coach JR until this game never had a player ejected. I believe looking at what he has done in the past can provide some validity to him doing the right things in practice.

If you have never made a mistake or been mis-quoted I guess you're better then JR, Me and the rest of the world.I support JR 100% and am proud to have him as our coach.

To sum it up, JR is a very good coach, you Maryville fans do not believe that yet but in time, starting this Friday and then next year, you will.  thumb

825726843[/snapback]

I agree but not the best choosen words for a head coach IMO. He no doubt made a mistake and was frustrated. Bet Alcoa keeps thier butts closer to home next time! Oh well, hope he don't think that this week because there will likely be a few "Actual real live" D1 players in Maryville's stands this week!

I remember on the radio Coach Helton from Central was asked what he thought of Maryville that year and he said I don't think they have much, or something to that effect. Talk about locker room fodder! The Reb's could'nt wait to get at those catz that year and it was a clinic!

Edited by FBEmeritus

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the link pep. Before reading the article I thought that Reid had made those comments regarding the upcoming game with Maryville. I'm glad to see he's not that unintelligent. So the statement is not as bad as I thought it was originally, but it's still about as classy as I've come to expect from that guy.

825726967[/snapback]

I thought it was about Maryville too, which is why I asked for the link.

Yea heard the same things from some of the WB faithful a few years back, but I'll not say anything negative about a Coach.

Today I pick up the local rag and read how John Brice thinks this penalty is far too severe for BW.  He says it is unreasonable because of who this player is and who the game is against.  What a bunch of B.S.!  By the way the kid broke the rules and is being mentored by a staff that does not seem to care about personal actions and the role of a leader.  Let the game begin between kids who can keep their composure and follow the rules. He is no factor in this game, period.  Best he can do is take his punishment like a man and support his team emotionally the best he can.

I agree with JC, I don't see any team scoring more than 28 points unless one team lies down.  Never seen Maryville do that but I've seen Alcoa do it.  The Maryville players know the kids at Alcoa and have never bought into all the hype in the press and like the perception of being the underdog.  Alcoa has the tools to beat Maryville, but will they.  Saying your more talented and a better team is one thing but being the better team one give night is quite another.  Heck the paper did not even name the kids for Maryville who will play linebacker, but make no mistake at the end of the game the Alcoa running backs will know who they are, win or lose!

The biggest factors in this game IMO is mind set and coaching adjustments.  Maryville “Knows” they can beat Alcoa and have!  Alcoa “Thinks” they can beat Maryville but have not in 4 years, and less than 1/3 of the time the rivalry has been in existence.  There is a difference in Knowing and thinking. 

I wish both teams the best and thank them for their hard work so people like me can have fun talking about it and have the pleasure of watching the game being played for nothing more than bragging rites for a year!  Coach Lou Holtz has said during his coaching days two things I think apply to this game;

“If I had to choose between a guy with speed and intelligence, I’d take intelligence any day. A guy with great speed going the wrong direction is worse than a guy who is slow going the right way.”

“Show me a person who is a success, and I’ll show you a person who has overcome adversity.”

I wish both teams the best and thank them for their hard work so people like me can have fun talking about it and have the pleasure of watching the game being played for nothing more than bragging rites for a year!  Go Reb’s

825726695[/snapback]

Coach Reid is a good man. Thanks for showing class FBE.

Coach Reid is a good man. Thanks for showing class FBE.

825727039[/snapback]

i never said he was a bad man , i just think he needs to set a better example for his kids .... and yes he is in a role model position . how can he expect his kids to be disciplined when he can't be??

Geez guy! With all of that talent how good of a coach does he have to be? No offense to Reid and I could care less what he says in the paper, although the team would have probably been better served if it had not been turned into a media circus because it was bound to have been a distraction to them this week. But with 5 or 6 D1 prospects it would be hard for any coach NOT to look good. Like I said before. Next year and ESPECIALLY 07 is when you will find out how good he really is. He has won a State Championship and likely will win another one this year so he has made the most of his opprotunity. But he also happened upon the scene when arguably Alcoa's best class ever was starting their Sophmore year. He may end up being the best coach you have ever had and if so that is great. But he has not had to re-load yet at Alcoa. When he does we will all know.

825726868[/snapback]

Looks like you have bought into the talent rules over coaching. These players just where born FB stars. I sure it had nothing to do with the hard work in the weight room or the hours of practice, oh maybe a little coaching. Also, Im sure that GQ has no talent on his team right? he wins it soley on his coaching!

Yes Alcoa has developed some very good players just as Maryville has develop some very good players. Having a plan then identifing each players skills/talent, and then implementing it within the teams goal is coaching.

What's bothers me is that the media and most others who do not have a clue, think that talent can win by itself.

After this year, the clueless will have no case!

thumb

Here is my prediction:

Alcoa will not score on Maryville's defense.  The loss of Brandon Warren will cripple this team.  Coach Quarles will play patient on offense like he has for the past 2 years with this group of players.  Score:  21-0. Maryville.

825726658[/snapback]

This is SIMPLY ridiculous! :rolleyes:

Ask these Maryville players what happened to them in middle school.. Yes I know it is different in H.S. and you all have Quarles as your coach but to simply say ALCOA won't score is ABSURD!!

You might should hope maryville can!

Good Luck.

My guess is Maples is asking coach Quarles at halftime, "coach who won the girls game"LOL

ALCOA -35

MHS -17

it will be the hardest hitting game of the whole year for both teams , i hope there's no injuries for either team because of that .  thumb

i wish Alcoa would bring in some extra seating for this game

825727706[/snapback]

I don't think that will happen. The ticket sales will be their anyway. The visitor side is bettern than normal. We replaced all that seating year before last. it can probably seat 2500 or more.

You keep talking about these "wrinkles" and "adjustments". If Alcoa is that loaded why do they have to revamp everything because they lost one player? What about this ungodly depth we have been hearing about? I hope they do make changes because at times Reid tends to "over coach" IMO. I left the championship game last year almost feeling like they won despite the coaching they had that game. I can assure you the Maryville staff has anticipated everything under the sun. Remember we were preparing for Alcoa last week while you guys were in KY crying about the referees.

825726544[/snapback]

mhs - the way alcoa is treated we will be the ones getting bad calls at home..just look at the referees tonight and recognize who they are and which city their affiliated with. anyway we beat hoptown and their five refs, we will beat maryville and their five refs

As a Maryville fan , i just want to give thanks that we have GEORGE QUARLES as our coach .

Quote from Alcoa coach Reid in the daily times  " It doesn't matter because they still couldn't beat us " Reid said . " They couldn't have beaten us if they'd brought somebody down out of the stands ."

What a fine classy example for the kids . Don't you Alcoa fans feel all warm and fuzzy knowing he's your coach ?? :)

825726551[/snapback]

can't stand reid , very arrogant, keeps his kids out of trouble, anywhere else they would be expelled. as reid how it is to clean up after a yard being rolled...lol...we go with whatwe got