Alcoa Vs. Maryville

TnFootballfan

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a Maryville fan , i just want to give thanks that we have GEORGE QUARLES as our coach .

Quote from Alcoa coach Reid in the daily times  " It doesn't matter because they still couldn't beat us " Reid said . " They couldn't have beaten us if they'd brought somebody down out of the stands ."

What a fine classy example for the kids . Don't you Alcoa fans feel all warm and fuzzy knowing he's your coach ?? :D

825726551[/snapback]

Yea heard the same things from some of the WB faithful a few years back, but I'll not say anything negative about a Coach.

Today I pick up the local rag and read how John Brice thinks this penalty is far too severe for BW. He says it is unreasonable because of who this player is and who the game is against. What a bunch of B.S.! By the way the kid broke the rules and is being mentored by a staff that does not seem to care about personal actions and the role of a leader. Let the game begin between kids who can keep their composure and follow the rules. He is no factor in this game, period. Best he can do is take his punishment like a man and support his team emotionally the best he can.

I agree with JC, I don't see any team scoring more than 28 points unless one team lies down. Never seen Maryville do that but I've seen Alcoa do it. The Maryville players know the kids at Alcoa and have never bought into all the hype in the press and like the perception of being the underdog. Alcoa has the tools to beat Maryville, but will they. Saying your more talented and a better team is one thing but being the better team one give night is quite another. Heck the paper did not even name the kids for Maryville who will play linebacker, but make no mistake at the end of the game the Alcoa running backs will know who they are, win or lose!

The biggest factors in this game IMO is mind set and coaching adjustments. Maryville “Knows” they can beat Alcoa and have! Alcoa “Thinks” they can beat Maryville but have not in 4 years, and less than 1/3 of the time the rivalry has been in existence. There is a difference in Knowing and thinking.

I wish both teams the best and thank them for their hard work so people like me can have fun talking about it and have the pleasure of watching the game being played for nothing more than bragging rites for a year! Coach Lou Holtz has said during his coaching days two things I think apply to this game;

“If I had to choose between a guy with speed and intelligence, I’d take intelligence any day. A guy with great speed going the wrong direction is worse than a guy who is slow going the right way.”

“Show me a person who is a success, and I’ll show you a person who has overcome adversity.”

I wish both teams the best and thank them for their hard work so people like me can have fun talking about it and have the pleasure of watching the game being played for nothing more than bragging rites for a year! Go Reb’s

I hope you are a student so that you can learn and grow to the point that you will understand that everyone who does not share your point of view is not a liar. If Warren played for Maryville he would likely be suspended by Quarles, at least for a half even if the TSSAA did not. Quarles suspended 6 or 8 starters in 2001 for the first half of the Halls game for breaking team rules. And your comment "especially if he was #1 player in state" really just solidifies the point some of us are trying to make. The rules are the rules regardless of status. I would hope a coach would fight for any player regardless of their status. And you guys and the officiating. Geez I hate to hear it if you actually do lose a game this year.

825723484[/snapback]

Is a half of football the right punishment for getting caught drinking under age at a party. Seems to me that all the maryville fans think gq is so tuff but i beg to differ, just from things that I personally know of. Almost all of the top maryville football players party on a regular basis. If I am not mistaken, 21 is the legal drinking age. Quarels would have done the same thing that Reid did, if not more.

Is a half of football the right punishment for getting caught drinking under age at a party.  Seems to me that all the maryville fans think gq is so tuff but i beg to differ, just from things that I personally know of.  Almost all of the top maryville football players party on a regular basis.  If I am not mistaken, 21 is the legal drinking age.  Quarels would have done the same thing that Reid did, if not more.

825726698[/snapback]

The drinking had little to do with breaking a rule in football. How about kicking a top player and starting RB and the previous MVP from the state game off the team completely? To top it off the kid’s dad, a fine guy was a county commission at the time. Get over it and let the game begin. You'll have your excuse if Alcoa loses if that is what you want.

hey a-town1408 , since your an Alcoa fan i just wanted to ask you if you approve and are you proud of your coach for making the following statement ??

Quote from Alcoa coach Reid in the daily times " It doesn't matter because they still couldn't beat us " Reid said . " They couldn't have beaten us if they'd brought somebody down out of the stands ."

hey a-town1408 , since your an Alcoa fan i just wanted to ask you if you approve and are you proud of your coach for making the following statement ??

Quote from Alcoa coach Reid in the daily times " It doesn't matter because they still couldn't beat us " Reid said . " They couldn't have beaten us if they'd brought somebody down out of the stands ."

825726746[/snapback]

Could you post a link to these statements?

LOL!!  Yeah, he's only the best player to come out of Blount County in 15 years...he wouldn't make a difference at ALL.... :D

825726457[/snapback]

Oh that's a an opinion on that! It also remains to be seen. The best player ever to go through the county was Lynn Swann, ever hear of him? He lived in Alcoa but moved to CA before HS. He was pretty good. But I sure you mean play in Blount County High School. Warren is not even close to being the best player ever my friend. I think is might be up in the top 50 but not even close to #1. We'll have to argue about that later. I am saddend I won't get the pleasure of watching him vs a good team friday or until maybe the play-offs or the 2A state game.

Could you post a link to these statements?

825726760[/snapback]

This Hopkinsville experience was bad from the time Alcoa step on the field. Starting with a 20 minute memorial to their returning hero and newly appointed head coach, Dickey Jones. The BW issues was only the most notable. I beleive JR was tired of all the questions about BW and the Hopkinsville player and the fact he scored their only TD. By the way, against Alcoa's 2nd team.

Is he perfect and does everyhting right and always say the perfect quote that everyone wants to hear, no. However, he is a class act when it comes to directing his players and team in doing the right things to be the best they can no only as FB players but students and future citizens. What about last week..an exception far from the case.

By the way, as head coach JR until this game never had a player ejected. I believe looking at what he has done in the past can provide some validity to him doing the right things in practice.

If you have never made a mistake or been mis-quoted I guess you're better then JR, Me and the rest of the world.I support JR 100% and am proud to have him as our coach.

To sum it up, JR is a very good coach, you Maryville fans do not believe that yet but in time, starting this Friday and then next year, you will. thumb

This Hopkinsville experience was bad from the time Alcoa step on the field. Starting with a 20 minute memorial to their returning hero and newly appointed head coach, Dickey Jones. The BW issues was only the most notable. I beleive JR was tired of all the questions about BW and the Hopkinsville player and the fact he scored their only TD. By the way, against Alcoa's 2nd team.

Is he perfect and does everyhting right and always say the perfect quote that everyone wants to hear, no. However, he is a class act when it comes to directing his players and team in doing the right things to be the best they can no only as FB players but students and future citizens. What about last week..an exception far from the case.

By the way, as head coach JR until this game never had a player ejected. I believe looking at what he has done in the past can provide some validity to him doing the right things in practice.

If you have never made a mistake or been mis-quoted I guess you're better then JR, Me and the rest of the world.I support JR 100% and am proud to have him as our coach.

To sum it up, JR is a very good coach, you Maryville fans do not believe that yet but in time, starting this Friday and then next year, you will.  thumb

825726843[/snapback]

Geez guy! With all of that talent how good of a coach does he have to be? No offense to Reid and I could care less what he says in the paper, although the team would have probably been better served if it had not been turned into a media circus because it was bound to have been a distraction to them this week. But with 5 or 6 D1 prospects it would be hard for any coach NOT to look good. Like I said before. Next year and ESPECIALLY 07 is when you will find out how good he really is. He has won a State Championship and likely will win another one this year so he has made the most of his opprotunity. But he also happened upon the scene when arguably Alcoa's best class ever was starting their Sophmore year. He may end up being the best coach you have ever had and if so that is great. But he has not had to re-load yet at Alcoa. When he does we will all know.