Maryville Rebels...how far will they go?

rowdyrebelfan19

:rolleyes: I suppose you like to spice things up quite alot. Maybe I don't understand your statement on jealousy. I know that I don't feel any jealousy, nor do I think any of the other folks posting on this thread. Nonetheless, I don't proclaim to be a Melrose aficionado but can tell you for certain that their offense is not garbage or awful. Or maybe I am wrong and you are a Maryville fan that spends most of the time in Memphis watching football down there.

Knowing nothing about Melrose prior to these past two weeks, one thing is for sure. Had it not been for a horrendous Melrose kicking game, the championship last year may have looked alot different...

oh believe me the jealous ones are out there. wait until central week, the ones that wish they went to maryville will come out, the ones that talk the most just wish they were a maryville alumni so that they could enjoy winning every now and then. they dont always show it, but they are there. different yes, but a lot differet, no. one point different, and had that extra point been scored i dare say gq would have gone for at least one of those three field goals he passed up last year, giving us the same result.

no im not in memphis watching football, im just here to get people like you to comment on stuff like that, and it worked :P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh believe me the jealous ones are out there. wait until central week, the ones that wish they went to maryville will come out, the ones that talk the most just wish they were a maryville alumni so that they could enjoy winning every now and then. they dont always show it, but they are there. different yes, but a lot differet, no. one point different, and had that extra point been scored i dare say gq would have gone for at least one of those three field goals he passed up last year, giving us the same result.

no im not in memphis watching football, im just here to get people like you to comment on stuff like that, and it worked :rolleyes:

Point taken! Don't know much about Maryville, other than a friend I had back in the mid-80's who played TE there.

I believe Maryville wins another gold ball. They're fundamentals are second to none. The kids all believe in the system and seem to always be in the right place at the right time. They believe in their coaches and each other and believe they are going to win. It is quite and impressive program. When you watch them practice you leave there thinking, "Man, what a machine!" Good luck Rebels

Hammontree lucky? Hard to believe the older more knowledgeable Maryville fans haven't taken you to the wood shed.

Agree. Hammontree came in at a time when Maryville had not even been going to the playoffs for some time (exception 1992). It was his vision that got us to where we could two platoon and not have people playing both ways, which seemed unheard of at the time. We went to the state in 97 and lost to an all world Pearl Cohn team with John Henderson, Santonio Beard and Reggie Ridley just to name a few and made a decent showing losing i think 36-16 or something like that. The next year we ran the table and blasted Whites Creek for the title. Quarles made a difference in the offense no doubt. They actually changed the offense near the end of the 96 season putting McCray at QB and moving Will Curtis from QB to receiver. Hammontree had the insight to scrap the wing t and go to the multiple offense we run now. Quarles was the brains behind the offense but Hammontree deserves credit for the willingness to change, and let's not forget he was the one who brought GQ on board so that he was there to take over after Hammontree left. Coach Quarles had a great foundation to start with and I feel confident he would tell you the same thing.

Actually Hammontree had little to do with it. Hammontree's Maryville teams were awful until GQ came to the staff. Had GQ not come to Maryville and Hammontree stayed at Maryville they would not have had the success they have had over the past five years. Ask Hammontree how his stint in Georgia went.

That is a load of crap. Obviously you know nothing about maryville football....How in the world could anyone say that about the man who REBUILT maryville football. If you think i dont know what i am talking about i played for Hammontree and GQ. Hammontree was the most influential coach i have ever met in my life. He was more than a football coach, he was a difference maker on and off the field. His vision and determination to bring back Maryville football what it is today is unmatched. Oh, and who ever said that crap about the 98' team just being loaded and any coach could have one with that group, you go back and ask anyone on that team what they thought of Coach Hammontree....

Any complement going Alcoa's way would be your territory. They are, from your posts, your second love? But they aren't disciplined, so well coached or at Maryville's level in the kicking game, defensive schemes or balance on offense. But then, who is? Right? What they are is the best small classification team this state has ever seen.

Now, go insult someone else. And quit sending daily pm's to me. I can't decide which is more funny. Your kissing up or all the nasty names you call me. sad Also, would you consider changing your name again? When anyone looks over any sites mentioned on their messages (such as knoxpreps) your name is all the way up & down the message board. Gets old, ya know?

hahahahahahahaha...ok twee, I'm done. Don't want you to cry. :lol: Besides, your witty comebacks are too much for me.

Set em straight sweetreb! :thumb:

Edited by Rebel Nation

Hammontree brought toughness and discipline back to Maryville football. The late 80s and early 90s teams were soft. Hammontree deserves a lot of credit for Maryville's success right now. George Quarles has took Maryville to a new level. Quarles has brought in some great schemes but kept the toughness and discipline that Hammontree had.

Great post mhs.