Cards sign Sydney Ponson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Cards signed starting pitcher Sydney Ponson to replace Matt Morris...What's everyone's thoughts on this acquisition?

Good, cheap gamble that Jocketty has made a career out of making deals of. Since Baltimore is going to probably be picking up a majority of his 06 salary, it's really not a bad gamble. He's got the potential to win 15+ games if he keeps his head on straight and listens to Duncan. If not, big deal and we'll replace him with Reyes.

Plus, if he works out it makes getting rid of Marquis more of a possibly, and anything that well help make that happen is a good move to me. :thumb:

NOW JUST FIND A 2ND BASEMAN AND AT LEAST ONE PROVEN OUTFIELDER!!!!! I'm still angry they didn't resign Grud.

Good, cheap gamble that Jocketty has made a career out of making deals of. Since Baltimore is going to probably be picking up a majority of his 06 salary, it's really not a bad gamble. He's got the potential to win 15+ games if he keeps his head on straight and listens to Duncan. If not, big deal and we'll replace him with Reyes.

Plus, if he works out it makes getting rid of Marquis more of a possibly, and anything that well help make that happen is a good move to me. ;)

NOW JUST FIND A 2ND BASEMAN AND AT LEAST ONE PROVEN OUTFIELDER!!!!! I'm still angry they didn't resign Grud.

Who are some of the 2nd basemen and outfielders on the market?

Who are some of the 2nd basemen and outfielders on the market?

The exact problem, and exactly why they should have resigned Grud. I can live without an outfielder for a while, but dadgumit, resing Grud!!!!!

The only one I know is Soriano because of his unwillingness to play left field, but is that someone we want?

I keep telling myself "faith in Jocketty, faith in Jocketty, faith in Jockety...."

Plus, if he works out it makes getting rid of Marquis more of a possibly, and anything that well help make that happen is a good move to me. :thumb:

Good point, if Ponson can return to the form he was 2-3 years back, he is a steal for the Cards, if he doesnt, they can pick up a solid pitcher during the season via trade!!!!

I'm still angry they didn't resign Grud.

You and me both, brother.

Well, add Junior Spivey and Juan Encarnciaon to the Redbirds for the 06 season. Still got a lot of money left to spend. Really makes me wonder if Jocketty might spring something huge soon. Typical Jocketty offseason. Nothing too sexy, but hopefully filling in the right spots.

Juan Encarnaciaon is a good addition, but I don't know about Spivey. Ever since the whole steroid blowup, he hasn't done a thing for anybody (not incinuating anything :rolleyes: )

Juan Encarnaciaon is a good addition, but I don't know about Spivey. Ever since the whole steroid blowup, he hasn't done a thing for anybody (not incinuating anything :thumb: )

Interesting point about Spivey.

I read today that J-rod is tearing up winter ball. If they can just teach him to play the field, he's got potential to be a better-than average player.

Still waiting for the big deal..................