Cards sign Sydney Ponson

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, ownership is bugging me right now.

The Cards had a self-imposed cap of roughly $90 million last year. All we have heard from ownership recently is how a new stadium would allow more revenues to be used to players. And what do they do? Tell Jocketty that his budget is $90 million again this year!

I realize pro sports is a business and that Dewitt and Co. want to make a profit. Fine, I'm a capitalistc as they come. Yay capitalism! But don't tell the fans one thing and then when the time comes do a 180. The ownership has done enough recently to infuriate Cards fans (KMOX). St. Louis is the best baseball town in America, but ownership may find very quickly that fans won't stand for a subpar team, or ownership, either. (Not that I think this team will be subpar by any means, but you get the idea.)

As for Morris, he's not worth what he was wanting to me. He's well past his #1 pitcher days and is probably a 3 at best, IMO a 4 or 5. For nostalga's sake I'd been all for paying him up to $6 million or so, but not what he wanted.

I just hate Marquis. He wasn't worth the $3.1 he was making, much less $5.2. :angry:

Yes, ownership is bugging me right now.

The Cards had a self-imposed cap of roughly $90 million last year. All we have heard from ownership recently is how a new stadium would allow more revenues to be used to players. And what do they do? Tell Jocketty that his budget is $90 million again this year!

I realize pro sports is a business and that Dewitt and Co. want to make a profit. Fine, I'm a capitalistc as they come. Yay capitalism! But don't tell the fans one thing and then when the time comes do a 180. The ownership has done enough recently to infuriate Cards fans (KMOX). St. Louis is the best baseball town in America, but ownership may find very quickly that fans won't stand for a subpar team, or ownership, either. (Not that I think this team will be subpar by any means, but you get the idea.)

As for Morris, he's not worth what he was wanting to me. He's well past his #1 pitcher days and is probably a 3 at best, IMO a 4 or 5. For nostalga's sake I'd been all for paying him up to $6 million or so, but not what he wanted.

I just hate Marquis. He wasn't worth the $3.1 he was making, much less $5.2. ;)

Ditto....

I couldn't agree with you more. :angry:

I have been talking to one of my friends about this and neither of us can understand what the Cards are thinking? Maybe they are expecting a breakout year, but wait and let him prove himself before you go paying him!!!

I have been talking to one of my friends about this and neither of us can understand what the Cards are thinking? Maybe they are expecting a breakout year, but wait and let him prove himself before you go paying him!!!

Well, you can also add every single Cardinals fan I have come in contact with the last 24 hours to that too.

You know it's sad when the Cubs fans in your office tell you they feel for you when you are a Cardinals fan. :thumb:

I know just giving you a Cardinal fans a hard time!

Yeah, I realize that now. I'm stressing out over the cardinals and the season hasn't even started yet. Go figure.... :thumb:

Breakout year..... Gosh, I am just praying that he doesn't have a breakDOWN year. Visions of Rick Ankiel keep running through my head. This is just more money wasted. At least the contract is only for a year, so really, you are probably right.

Hopefully with Rolen back next year, he and Pujols can produce enough runs so that we don't have to worry about our pitching.

Edited by Fuggly63

The Cardinals are my 2nd favorite team. As a Cardinal fan, I am really worried about the signing of Ponson. He is 76-91 for his career. He has had one winning season (2003) in his career. There is a reason why the O's cut him loose. He is fat and out of shape besides being a head case. I don't have a good feeling about this guy. This is not a typical Cardinal move.

JMO

• 1 month later...