State Duals Location?

cbg

Several people feel that the state duals need to be moved to a larger venue but the question is where should they move to.

1. Austin Peay University in Clarksville: Clarksville could still host them but the venue would be larger.

2. Municipal Auditorium: Nashville-who would be the host school and do the work

3. David Lipscomb University: Nashville-David Lipscomb High School could be the host

4. Belmont University: Nashville-host school? This may be the best location and the facilities are great

If the traditional tournament is going to remain in Chattanooga then the dual tournament should be in Middle Tennessee. It would be great if they did the finals on 1 mat and have it elevated like the NCAA Tournament. You could run the finals @ 3:00pm A/AA, 5:15pm AAA, 7:30pm D2. This would allow everyone to watch all of the matches.

But we all know that this will not work because it is a good idea and the T$$AA never uses a good idea.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an idea: Wrestle the state duals in the city where they have the best venue, will consistently draw the most fans and has the most knowledgeable fans. Wait a minute, that would be Chattanooga. Naw, that would make way too much sense! Oh, just leave it somewhere in Middle Tennessee. We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. It's just such a pain having to cart all those tropheys back to Chattown.

Here's an idea: Wrestle the state duals in the city where they have the best venue, will consistently draw the most fans and has the most knowledgeable fans. Wait a minute, that would be Chattanooga. Naw, that would make way too much sense! Oh, just leave it somewhere in Middle Tennessee. We wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. It's just such a pain having to cart all those tropheys back to Chattown.

Okay, trophys for duals are one thing (50% Chatt this year), but all of that Indiv. State hardware stays Mostly in West & Middle TN. Should we ease the pain of the majority and go back to swapping out the Individual State venues again?

Okay, trophys for duals are one thing (50% Chatt this year), but all of that Indiv. State hardware stays Mostly in West & Middle TN. Should we ease the pain of the majority and go back to swapping out the Individual State venues again?

Sure, if the TSSAA finds itself flush with cash and decides to become an eleleemosynary organization (that's not for profit for you guys from the former penal colony) and no longer wishes to maximize revenue. I hear Memphis in February is spectacular! Of course, you might be able to find 50 local wreslting fans if you told them it was going to be "live" and the Rock was going to be 'rasslin. Nashville can be a little cold this time of year but they might be able to fill up a high school gym if a local team is in the hunt. Ronnie's already taken away away the Spring Fling after we "birthed" it and threatened to do the same thing with the girls' soccer championships. We're used to being abused!

Great Ideal!

That way the sport will never grow in the State and the Rich get Richer.

There have programs dieing throughout the state and you want to keep it in the one area that the sport dosn't need any additional press.

How would you like traveling to Memphis every year to watch your kid wrestle in the State. It needs to rotate and let some other programs shine besides Clarksville, Baylor etc.

Great Ideal!

That way the sport will never grow in the State and the Rich get Richer.

There have programs dieing throughout the state and you want to keep it in the one area that the sport dosn't need any additional press.

How would you like traveling to Memphis every year to watch your kid wrestle in the State. It needs to rotate and let some other programs shine besides Clarksville, Baylor etc.

Rigger - I generally ignore you but...what does location of the tournament have to do with growth?

Check your math. 3 for 3 is not 50% where I come from.

I noticed that too but didn't want to trot out my superior mathmatical talents.

Actually, I believe having both tournaments in Chattown would help the sport in the state. What more could a kid ask for than to come to the Emerald City for the championships? Can you imagine the incentive of being able to see Chattanooga and having your motel room paid for to boot. Can you imagine anything worse than losing a state wrestling match and having to be in Memphis at the same time! Talk about double jeopardy. Probably has something to do with why The Spring Fling had better attendance even when you take into account several teams had to bring body gaurds to Memphis with them. Don' get me wrong, Memphis is a wonderful town if you want barbeque or to watch ducks in a hotel.

I noticed that too but didn't want to trot out my superior mathmatical talents.

Actually, I believe having both tournaments in Chattown would help the sport in the state. What more could a kid ask for than to come to the Emerald City for the championships? Can you imagine the incentive of being able to see Chattanooga and having your motel room paid for to boot. Can you imagine anything worse than losing a state wrestling match and having to be in Memphis at the same time! Talk about double jeopardy. Probably has something to do with why The Spring Fling had better attendance even when you take into account several teams had to bring body gaurds to Memphis with them. Don' get me wrong, Memphis is a wonderful town if you want barbeque or to watch ducks in a hotel.

THIS DISCUSSION GETS SO OLD. MAYBE YOU FOLKS IN CHO CHO TOWN WOULD LIKE TO SECEDE FROM THE STATE SO YOU WON'T HAVE TO WRESTLE ANYONE FROM THE MIDDLE OR THE WEST. YOU COULD HAVE YOUR OWN STATE TOURNAMENTS AND GET ALL THE METALS.

I DID NOT GET TO ATTEND THE STATE DUALS THIS YEAR , BUT IN YEARS PAST I DID NOT NOTICE THERE WAS ANY PROBLEM IN FILLING ALL THE CHAIRS. IN FACT SOMETIMES THERE WAS STANDING ROOM ONLY.

AND MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THE HOTEL ROOMS HAS TO BE RAISED BY THE WRESTLERS OR THIER PARENTS NOT COVERED BY THE SCHOOLS. MAYBE THE EAST DOESN'T LIKE STAYING IN HOTELS.

THIS DISCUSSION GETS SO OLD. MAYBE YOU FOLKS IN CHO CHO TOWN WOULD LIKE TO SECEDE FROM THE STATE SO YOU WON'T HAVE TO WRESTLE ANYONE FROM THE MIDDLE OR THE WEST. YOU COULD HAVE YOUR OWN STATE TOURNAMENTS AND GET ALL THE METALS.

I DID NOT GET TO ATTEND THE STATE DUALS THIS YEAR , BUT IN YEARS PAST I DID NOT NOTICE THERE WAS ANY PROBLEM IN FILLING ALL THE CHAIRS. IN FACT SOMETIMES THERE WAS STANDING ROOM ONLY.

AND MY EXPERIENCE IS THAT THE MONEY TO PAY FOR THE HOTEL ROOMS HAS TO BE RAISED BY THE WRESTLERS OR THIER PARENTS NOT COVERED BY THE SCHOOLS. MAYBE THE EAST DOESN'T LIKE STAYING IN HOTELS.

You're right, when you have it in a small enough venue, it certainly looks large. At least see if one of the local colleges will host it.

Edited by takedown3

Is everyone in Chattanooga as arrogant and ignorant as the group in this thread? Maybe they are all related. I do agree that it could be in a larger more accommodating location. Austin Peay I think would love to have it and I bet the other schools in the area would like to help run it. That is just my opinion. I simply like seeing the kids get wrestling time and to compete at a high-ranking tourney makes it all the more wonderful.