High School Drug Screen

eaglesin08

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Creatine appears naturally in red meat. Everyone manufactures around three grams a day internally. Taking in creatine as a supplement can raise your levels of other factors. However, being on a high protein diet can do that as well. There is no way they can say it is a banned substance when your body produces it anyway. They test for anabolics and prohormones as well as "street drugs" like marijuana and cocaine.

Creatine appears naturally in red meat. Everyone manufactures around three grams a day internally. Taking in creatine as a supplement can raise your levels of other factors. However, being on a high protein diet can do that as well. There is no way they can say it is a banned substance when your body produces it anyway. They test for anabolics and prohormones as well as "street drugs" like marijuana and cocaine.

I thought that was wierd as well about the creatine but coach said he couldn't take it. I didn't believe it so I was wanting to get more information but TSSAA believes everyone high school kid is Barry Bonds or something. I guess a problem is out there but we just want an athletic edge safely and legally.

Edited by eaglesin08

NO it is not! I bet if you asked on a post, you would see that several schools do some form of drug testing for their athletes

I have been told numerous times by coaches, administrators, and TSSAA officials it is illegal. No governmen organization can infringe on a student-athlete that way without consent. And that's exactly what it is.

I have been told numerous times by coaches, administrators, and TSSAA officials it is illegal. No governmen organization can infringe on a student-athlete that way without consent. And that's exactly what it is.

You are absolutely right AND wrong. The local school board has to make a policy that a student athlete has to consent to drug tests if they CHOOSE to play. They can not take a kid out of class and make them take a drug test. Athletics and other extra curriculars can be used for leverage though. So before they begin participation they sign a consent form or they don't play, then if they are required to give a sample they either give it or quit. I know of one school system that does this for a fact. There are many others. Again it is a local decision at this point.

You have to get their consent to drug test, however in order to let them play you need to have them sign the consent. Football is an extra-curricular activity. It is something that the school system does not have to offer. A coach can make it mandatory as part of his policies and rules that students sign a drug testing consent form as well as the parents if the student isn't 18 years of age. If the kid refuses a drug test it is no different than someone refusing an breath analyzer. I just thought this might help. I think some coaches are just afraid to test because they are afraid of what they might find out. Be smart, test those who you feel are abusing drugs, you can't afford to test everyone, only test when you feel there is a problem.

That doesn't sound fair but I guess they can do it based on the previous posts on here. (not doing all extra-curricular activities)

Ole Dad

Science Hill High School is going to start testing athletes next year, but not students who participate in other extra-curricular activities.