Maryville vs Alcoa '06

GovMan

I must be an idiot, but you cannot read.

I never said they were not well coached. They were coached to near perfection to play as a 4A or 5A team. The team was pretty well prepared, The came out a little flat, but I expected it since they had a buy the first weekend of the season. The coaching tonight reminded me a lot of when Spurrier went to the pro's to coach. It was not the same game as much as he wished to make it so. He coached some great college ball with pro players which did not work. He realised that he would not change thier stripes and went back to what he was suited to.

My comment is that the coach did not play traditional Alcoa football and play to thier potential strengths. They have some great hands on that football team (Some would say 2 division one prospects). They also have some very good outside speed with a highly mobile QB, and a good inside game when the others are working and you keep the defense guessing.

Compare the number of running plays to touch downs scored with what they did when they attempted a three dimensional passing game tonight. I think if you will look at passes over 15 yds they scored on one and dropped one. As soon as they made the long strike the corners and ends eased up some which opened the running game up a touch. The "all over you", 3 demensional game plays to speed and mobility of Alcoa football.

And unless you are afraid to actually debate, and not just call me an idiot, then explain to me how what i have just said was wrong.

The new coaching got ya 17-14 with a chance to win the game ... that " traditional Alcoa coaching " got you 42-21.... and it wasn't even as close as the final score indicated . GQ has already said this is the best Alcoa team he's ever faced .... guess what .. he meant best coached .

• Replies 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rankins coaching wasnt that bad. They DEFFENTLY needed to throw the ball more. Alcoa has Lanxter and Sommers at wideouts and i think they might, MIGHT have had 6 catches. Now i blame this on 2 things. Rankins choice of play calling AND lack of blocking on the Alcoa Offensive line. Alcoas OL tonight, in passing situations, were one of the worse lines ive seen in a long alcoa time. Cobb had no time to step back and pass.

One thing that bothers me was the lack of "hustle" it seemed Lanxter had. He walked around and walked back to the huddle tooooo much. Thats one thing i HATE. When the play is over get your rear off the ground and hustle back to the huddle.

One thing that killed Alcoa was the 40 some odd yard pass i believe in the 2nd QT. This im pinning on Rankin. For some reason i assume Sommers did something he didnt like and pulled him from the game. Next play the new corner was burnt for 40 yds. I think theres a time to discipline a player for a lack of play and thats the next day at practice by running him. You dont discipline him by hurting the team.

Also Alcoa CANNOT let Maryville score before the half like they did. Same play back to back 10000 people saw it yet the 100 or so on alcoa sideline didnt and then couldnt stop it. Thats a shame

Overall both teams played an extremely great game. I honestly dont believe that Maryville will be in Boro come december. I could and kinda hope im wrong but i just dont see it. I dont see why Alcoa shouldnt be. 2a is pretty easy until playoff time. Also I think with Riverdales loss to McCallie it proves again that the Top 2 teams in the state of Tennessee are in Blount County

I was impressed with Maryvilles defense. Justin Smith played great. After a rough start Jeffery Booker played very well. I wouldn't trade any 2 linebackers for Tanner Caylor and Landon Hall.

Tyler Maples played great but cramps did him in. Steven Shiver took a big hit. With all the suspenions and Maples being out with cramps Maryville gutted this win out. 3 biggest plays was Tyler's touchdown,Aaron Douglas jump ball catch and the pass to Ryan Singleton in the flat to seal the win. Great win by Maryville.

Alcoa is better than they were the last 2 years. Chris Shiverdecker should be offered a scholarship by UT right now. Every time he gets the ball you are scared to death he will break one. Lankster and Sommers are great players.

Alcoa played extremely hard. Bart Hicks is a bad man. I was impressed with the discipline that Alcoa has now. You don't see the chant and trash talk in warmups now. Alcoa looked like a team that meant business.

Alcoa will win the 2A championship. If they don't I will be shocked.

I have never been that impressed with Lanxter. As you pointed out 74 lack of hustle IMO and on quick slants he seems to be listening for footsteps. I am not going to give up on the Boro just yet, way too soon to tell. We have played both of our first two games without our best runningback and we are starting two or three sophmores on the defensive line and they looked much better this week than last week. Maryville hurt themselves with three turnovers or i don't think it would have been as close as it was. JMO. Maryville normally gets a lot better from week to week so maybe we can sneak back in there. We lost our first four six years ago and got there. I have confidence in our coaching staff.

Edited by mhs

It was a good game played well by both sides I will admit. The only thing that made me mad was when it was over was the maryville students ran across the field to the Alcoa student section and held up a coon, everyone is always sayin how Alcoa has no class and maryville does that, that shows no class at all.

That was the class mascot....what's the problem with a racoon as the class mascot? Are you trying to say something else was going on?

The new coaching got ya 17-14 with a chance to win the game ... that " traditional Alcoa coaching " got you 42-21.... and it wasn't even as close as the final score indicated . GQ has already said this is the best Alcoa team he's ever faced .... guess what .. he meant best coached .

You are still having problem with that reading part PerpVol...

I said he coached a great game, the team was well prepared, made no comparisons to last years coach and said it was great football....

I also asked you to debate any of what i wrote as wrong in any of my posts. I guess i am not the only idiot on the forum. Maybe you need some help with what debate means.

You cannot however debate the fact that tonight Alcoa played to what amounted to a one dimensional offensive football game. Also, i would even say that had GQ been our coach tonight the game would have gone our way.

It was a good game played well by both sides I will admit. The only thing that made me mad was when it was over was the maryville students ran across the field to the Alcoa student section and held up a coon, everyone is always sayin how Alcoa has no class and maryville does that, that shows no class at all.

And before the game Alcoa students held up a sign that said "Booze it and Lose it". Yep that was real CLASSY. :(

Do not take offense where none was intended. Its a Raccoon thats it. Why a Raccoon, I do not know, but whats the harm, the students can hardly do anything at the games anymore. Let them have some fun and do not read anything else into it.

Edited by MenInBlack

And before the game Alcoa students held up a sign that said "Booze it and Lose it". Yep that was real CLASSY. :(

Yes and I admit the sign wasn't real classy but those players brought that upon themselves, our players did nothin to deserves that. Also how would a coon be a maryville rebels mascot, that makes no sense at all.