Why was DII formed?

Antwan

Exactly my point with the privates. Where is the proof.

I think it is funny that the same reasons some use for publics becoming and staying good don't apply to privates. Like people can't believe that kids with aspirations of playing D1 collegiate football would choose to go to BA and pay the tuition for that chance. Just like 6'3" girls basketball studs move to Shelbyville of all places.

I have not accused anyone of recruiting...public or private. You have...so you have the burden of proof. You have made accusations of schools you have no idea if they recruit or not. If they do...turn them in. I'm with Indian on this one...it's really a non-factor to me.

Edited by Antwan

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is the silliest part of this infinite debate.

Public and private school coaches have recruited.

Why debate it? It happens.

If you need proof, get out of your house.

You must be living in a cave.

Exactly my point with the privates. Where is the proof.

I think it is funny that the same reasons some use for publics becoming and staying good don't apply to privates. Like people can't believe that kids with aspirations of playing D1 collegiate football would choose to go to BA and pay the tuition for that chance. Just like 6'3" girls basketball studs move to Shelbyville of all places.

Edited by StanTrott

This is the silliest part of this infinite debate.

Public and private school coaches have recruited.

Why debate it? It happens.

If you need proof, get out of your house.

You must be living in a cave.

Who recruits? Let's hear it. You may think they have...but do you really know? I doubt it. The line is ambiguous at best. That's why it's a nonfactor. Privates do recruit students by advertising. Publics do very very little of that. That's another thread.

Edited by Antwan

How about talking about the public schools that obviously recruit? I can name TONS - Magnets and open zoners like Hillsboro, Maryville, Alcoa, MLK, Liberty Tech (championships in the first year or two of existence) and then others like Riverdale, Oak Ridge, Shelbyville, Jackson County, and Melrose. All putting together all star teams year in and out. Why aren't the publics that do this an issue too? :lol:

Just look at Rankin's decision to move to Alcoa. His zone change requests were about to become a thing of the past with a new county admin that did not favor Riverdale.

He went somewhere that gave him the same advantage. And don't give that he wanted to give his kids the chance to attend high school in a small town crud ... he could have easily moved 5 minutes away and had them attend Eagleville while he coached there. Or he could have moved back home to Carthage. But we all know that he would not have come close to achieving "Riverdale success" at either place ... not even close compared to the advantages that Alcoa offers to him.

HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA...EXACTLY!!!! His kids ALREADY lived in a small town called Christiana.

Edited by 2priceless

Who recruits? Let's hear it. You may think they have...but do you really know? I doubt it. The line is ambiguous at best. That's why it's a nonfactor. Privates do recruit students by advertising. Publics do very very little of that. That's another thread.

I think all schools recruit based on their own success and word of mouth and reputation. This may not be as true in Smith county, but it`s true in big cities whether you are a private or public school. Private schools may advertise more than public schools, but they certainly can`t force anyone to go there. I really think it would be nice if public schools advertised more. There`s a lot of good things going on at public schools and too many folks make decisons from misinformation. Bad news always travels faster then good news. It`s sad but true. Many public schools in larger cities need some good PR to keep parent`s from sending kids to private schools.

I think one question that needs to be answered is what is recruiting and what is undue influence. I don`t think the TSSAA can really explain what undue influence is and is not. But that`s just my opinion. I certainly have never heard a good explaination of what it is. I think the TSSAA really needs to take a long look at taking that wording out and being more precise.

I think all schools recruit based on their own success and word of mouth and reputation. This may not be as true in Smith county, but it`s true in big cities whether you are a private or public school. Private schools may advertise more than public schools, but they certainly can`t force anyone to go there. I really think it would be nice if public schools advertised more. There`s a lot of good things going on at public schools and too many folks make decisons from misinformation. Bad news always travels faster then good news. It`s sad but true. Many public schools in larger cities need some good PR to keep parent`s from sending kids to private schools.

I think one question that needs to be answered is what is recruiting and what is undue influence. I don`t think the TSSAA can really explain what undue influence is and is not. But that`s just my opinion. I certainly have never heard a good explaination of what it is. I think the TSSAA really needs to take a long look at taking that wording out and being more precise.

The problem with the recruiting is that no one wants to get involved in an investigation so no one turns anyone in. They just tell other schools what they suspect and the rumors get circulated but nothing gets done. The TSSAA does not have an investigator and they tell schools, when they pass rules, that they are not going to be sending anyone around to check on them, that the schools are to self-regulate (that is not the word I am looking for) themselves.

Also, if a parent/family moves into a school district for any reason, athletics or not, there is nothing that can be done. You cannot tell people where they can live. The parents that pretend to move but really don't, and I can show you where a couple of them live today, are not caught because the schools are not going to investigate it and the TSSAA doesn't want to. Then you have the private schools and open-zone schools with no zones, no residency rules, and you have a mess.

If public schools advertised the money would come from tax-payer funds (or general funds which would then have to be recouped from tax money, most likely) which the community would see as a waste of money, in most cases.

Well I guess I will throw my $.02 in here. "RECRUITING" does go on in High School football and we all know it. Thing is it is VERY hard to prove and the folks who get recruited will not testify in court.

For example the QB that Rankin was so afraid of at BA WAS recruited from Fla. The young man who was that QB is currently at MTSU and admitted it to me personally at a R'dale v Oakland game two years ago. I asked him if he would testify and he told me NO WAY as it would ruin it for others coming up later. I also know personally one who was attempted to be recruited to MBA, and NO I will not testify either as I really do not know who the booster was who called me.

Publics do it also, but not with tuition but 'boosters' help Dads and Mothers find jobs, apartments, or whatever else they need to get the child wanted in the 'right' zone or even town.

So it goes on but it is done in ways it is hard to prove by BOTH sides. Saying it does not either makes us ostraches that hide our heads in the sand or hipacrits.

As to keeping the split, it does not matter to me one way or the other because it goes on BOTH ways.

And 'Rooster' I know who you are and more importantly what name you post under here. I commanded the National Guard Battalion the unit in YOUR town was under and still have lots of friends there.

I also know personally one who was attempted to be recruited to MBA, and NO I will not testify either as I really do not know who the booster was who called me.

Considering your profession, I'm surprised you don't have caller ID, or access to equipment to trace calls.

Maybe it was Deep Throat.

Considering your profession, I'm surprised you don't have caller ID, or access to equipment to trace calls.

I personally know 2 of my son's friends who were "recruited" to play at a local public school. My son was talked to as well but stayed at his zoned school. The other 2 were sorry that thye made the choice when it was all said and done. My son got the ring and they got sent home in the first round.

I do not have caller ID as it costs money which I chose not to spend on a cops salery. As to the 'trace' it has to be planned for in advance and costs taxpayers money that is spent on much more important investigations. There is also the matter of a warrent needed to trace calls. For a misdomeanor like this it is hard to get unless the calls involve threats.

As to it being 'Deep Throat', no it wasn't. It was someone who evidently owned a car dealership as a car was offered also. I should have asked but instead I just hung up on them as I was NOT about to send my kid to another county just to play ball.

For example the QB that Rankin was so afraid of at BA WAS recruited from Fla. The young man who was that QB is currently at MTSU and admitted it to me personally at a R'dale v Oakland game two years ago. I asked him if he would testify and he told me NO WAY as it would ruin it for others coming up later. I also know personally one who was attempted to be recruited to MBA, and NO I will not testify either as I really do not know who the booster was who called me.

Hmmm. The quarterback for BA two years right after the split was Benji Walker, who is, I believe, from Brentwood. He enrolled at BA as a sixth grader.

Just who was this QB that "Rankin was so afraid of"? Your fact checking seems to be about as thorough as Ronnie Carter's.