Why was DII formed?

Antwan

Recruiting, as far coaches calling up players, likely doesn't happen too much. That's not really an issue for me..what is an issue is that for whatever reason, the small privates-I include BA in that even though they play up-have much more success, many more 1-A and 1-AA signees than the small publics. Notre Dame, mediocre over the years in Division II, moves back into Division I, even takes away aid according to the Division I polices, and advances to the 3A semifinals their first year with a multiplier in effect too. That just seems too coincidental for there not to be a major competition problem with the schools, overall. I think their last year in Division I, 1996, they were 9-1. Exceptions, yes, Alcoa, Trousdale, a couple more, but those are few and far between. Look how many small privates have sent players to Division 1-A schools the last five years, Alabama, USC, Auburn, and how many small publics have (including 2A that are in metro areas).

Let's look at that Indian, how many small private (1 and 2a) players have been recruited to D1 schools in the last 5 years...I'm game. Except you can't include DII privates...you guys already kicked them out, so the issue of fairness doesn't apply there, does it? I'm betting less than 5... I think Tyner alone beats that

Laz and I got into this a year or so ago. Turned out that the small privates DID have a higher percentage of Football players getting scholarships (mostly to DII and NAIA schools) than the small publics did. BUT they also had a much higher percentage of graduation and college attendance...when that was factored in it turned out that the small publics actually had more college level athletes, it was just that a lot of them couldn't or didn't go to college for other reasons (academics, test scores, economics, etc).

By the way, what small private school (or large one for that matter) has ever put together a championship streak equal to Riverdale, Maryville, Alcoa or Trousdale? Answer, Brentwood Academy. How many schools have clamored to have those guys tossed because they must have an unfair advantage like they did for all the privates because of Brentwood? Answer, none. Am I the only one who sees rampant hypocrisy here? There are only 2 non-hypocritical solutions. One, put everyone back together and agree that some schools both public and private will have advantages and the others will have to overcome them to win. Two, instigate a merit system so that those schools that do have advantages will migrate to higher divisions regardless of size or public/private affiliation.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm. The quarterback for BA two years right after the split was Benji Walker, who is, I believe, from Brentwood. He enrolled at BA as a sixth grader.

Just who was this QB that "Rankin was so afraid of"? Your fact checking seems to be about as thorough as Ronnie Carter's.

This was the QB BEFORE the split that BEAT R'dale so bad. He also told me about the 'special classes' he had a BA just for football and the neat toys he got to use to help his vision get better at spotting rushers. A sort of virtual reality head set.

If and when I investigate something, somebody is going to jail. Just ask Fate Thomas the EX sheriff in Nashville as I was the lead investigator that sent him to the pen. I will NOT gloss over wrong doings just to keep the money flow coming in.

This was the QB BEFORE the split that BEAT R'dale so bad. He also told me about the 'special classes' he had a BA just for football and the neat toys he got to use to help his vision get better at spotting rushers. A sort of virtual reality head set.

If and when I investigate something, somebody is going to jail. Just ask Fate Thomas the EX sheriff in Nashville as I was the lead investigator that sent him to the pen. I will NOT gloss over wrong doings just to keep the money flow coming in.

I applaud your effective police work, and thank you for it.

How many ego driven 20 year olds who refuse to testify were utilized in the Fate Thomas case?

...wonder what they ever did with that "virtual reality head set"? Never saw it, so he must have taken it with him to MTSU...

I applaud your effective police work, and thank you for it.

How many ego driven 20 year olds who refuse to testify were utilized in the Fate Thomas case?

...wonder what they ever did with that "virtual reality head set"? Never saw it, so he must have taken it with him to MTSU...

No ego driven 20 year olds were involved in the Fate Thomas case, but a bunch of 20+ ones were used to testify about their 'extra' work done for Fate was in court.

As the the ego driven 20 yo that told me what he did, I have no idea and that was why I asked him up front if he would testify to it.

As to the virtual reality head set, I don't know. Just said what I was told. If it was a lie then shame on him.

As to my police work, you are welcome as is every citizen who I work for. I take my work VERY seriously as tax dollars come hard for folks that pay my salery.

I really don't have a very strong opinion about the other sports. Football is what most of this thread concerns. Football is what caused DII...not the other sports.

I'll disagree with you that football caused DII. I think that private school success in tennis and golf also led to the split. Football only stepped to the front because of BA's success in Class 5A.

Because the success at the so-called minor sports reached across the board, and not just football, it most likely garnered more support from schools that weren't concerned about who was winning championships in football.

I'll disagree with you that football caused DII. I think that private school success in tennis and golf also led to the split. Football only stepped to the front because of BA's success in Class 5A.

Because the success at the so-called minor sports reached across the board, and not just football, it most likely garnered more support from schools that weren't concerned about who was winning championships in football.

I don't agree. If BA had not won the 5a title...I doubt DII would have been formed at that time. The other sports didn't matter too much. They still don't.

Heck...very very few care about tennis or golf. You must be kidding...right?

Edited by Antwan

I don't think you can say they are the very best every year. I think they are some of the best alright.

The reason DII was formed IMO is two letters. You know what they are.

If BA had not beaten 5a teams...I don't think it would have happened. If MBA had won...or Christian Brothers...or Baylor...I don't think it would have happened when it did. It is the fact that such a small school beat 5a schools.

I would qualify this even further. DII was fomed because of BA. If BA had beaten someone besides Riverdale in 1995, DII would not have been formed when it was.

JMHO

In the same fashion, the multiplier would not have happened if a certain Wayne County principal's school hadn't lost to a 1A private school in 2001.

Again, JMHO

In the same fashion, the multiplier would not have happened if a certain Wayne County principal's school hadn't lost to a 1A private school in 2001.

Again, JMHO

One thing I admired about him, though, and I know you agree: he was upfront about his feelings, told everyone how he felt, yet treated everyone who went there to play with class.

Let's look at that Indian, how many small private (1 and 2a) players have been recruited to D1 schools in the last 5 years...I'm game. Except you can't include DII privates...you guys already kicked them out, so the issue of fairness doesn't apply there, does it? I'm betting less than 5... I think Tyner alone beats that

Laz and I got into this a year or so ago. Turned out that the small privates DID have a higher percentage of Football players getting scholarships (mostly to DII and NAIA schools) than the small publics did. BUT they also had a much higher percentage of graduation and college attendance...when that was factored in it turned out that the small publics actually had more college level athletes, it was just that a lot of them couldn't or didn't go to college for other reasons (academics, test scores, economics, etc).

By the way, what small private school (or large one for that matter) has ever put together a championship streak equal to Riverdale, Maryville, Alcoa or Trousdale? Answer, Brentwood Academy. How many schools have clamored to have those guys tossed because they must have an unfair advantage like they did for all the privates because of Brentwood? Answer, none. Am I the only one who sees rampant hypocrisy here? There are only 2 non-hypocritical solutions. One, put everyone back together and agree that some schools both public and private will have advantages and the others will have to overcome them to win. Two, instigate a merit system so that those schools that do have advantages will migrate to higher divisions regardless of size or public/private affiliation.

I'm not sure why you throw out Baylor, even though they're Division II, when you're talking about college players produced by small privates and small publics. They could be playing in Class 2A, and as for them being Division II, unless players are specifically going there for football the aid should not make a difference. I can look up more later, but in the Chattanooga area this year, Notre Dame had one 1-A signee, Temple and Boyd-Buchanan each had one 1-AA signee. Baylor had one 1-A signee and five, I believe, 1-AA signees. Three not counting Baylor, nine counting Baylor. It's at least one by the four established private school teams, one by non-established Temple, and none by the start-ups. As for the publics, in 1A and 2A: Lookout Valley, South Pittsburg, Whitwell, Copper Basin, Sequatchie, Marion, Tyner, Bledsoe combined for one 1-AA signee, none to 1-A.

Edited by Indian

I also know personally one who was attempted to be recruited to MBA, and NO I will not testify either as I really do not know who the booster was who called me.

Totally reckless of you to post something like this. The fact that you are a police officer makes it even worse. You know someone "personally", yet you "really do not know' him...ridiculous. I can put up with all the recruiting talk, but when you drag MBA into it, I cannot. You clearly do not know what you're talking about and your credibility on these boards has just gotten worse.

Totally reckless of you to post something like this. The fact that you are a police officer makes it even worse. You know someone "personally", yet you "really do not know' him...ridiculous. I can put up with all the recruiting talk, but when you drag MBA into it, I cannot. You clearly do not know what you're talking about and your credibility on these boards has just gotten worse.

:thumb: ...so NOW he's reckless...