Why was DII formed?

Antwan

Why does Father Ryan have the following tuition rate:

Catholic student with the parish contribution.

Catholic student with NO parish contribution.

Non-Catholic student fee.

Most Catholic schools in Indiana, Kentucky and Ohio have one tuition for all students (no Non Catholic fees) and some of the parishs contribute and some do not. What is the % of Non-Catholic students at Father Ryan and JP2? I heard a rumor that Father Ryan was less than 5% Non-Catholic while JP2 was around 50% Non-Catholic.

Edited by cbg

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You are right. Can't copy them here, even if you give them the credit they are due, because they are a paid-subscription site.

I'd give everyone my user name and password to the electronic version but I guess that wouldn't be Kosher either. They were very well written articles, thoughtfully done buy a writer, who don't believe has a dog in the fight.

Edited by soccerpro1

All Catholic schools that I am familiar with have a catholic and non-catholic rates, plus a catholic can take a parish assesment discount, which is not considered fincial aid. KCHS is about 11% non catholic, ND is higher I think maybe 30% non catholic.

I still don't understand this ND/KC DI thing. If you are a Catholic athlete in need of financial aid, I guess a Catholic education is not an option? Or can you still take the poor Catholics and just forbid them from playing sports?

I still don't understand this ND/KC DI thing. If you are a Catholic athlete in need of financial aid, I guess a Catholic education is not an option? Or can you still take the poor Catholics and just forbid them from playing sports?

It is my understanding any kid needing financial assistance to attend Notre Dame can work at the school during the summer prior to the school year. It doesn't matter if the kid is an athlete or not - strictly needs based.

BTW, ND was 33% non-Catholic when my kid attended.

When Catholic was move from DII to DI, the administration did not ask the coaches or take poor kids into account, we had kids that were told they could not do varsity sports anymore, we now have a new administration.

KCHS Coach What is now different, or is there a new approach from the new administration as it pertains to Coaches opinions or telling poor kids they would not be allowed to participate in Varsity sports?

• 2 weeks later...

forgive me if I missed something in the last six pages.

Most DI privates deal with kids who might be on scholarship in elementary and middle and then have to be told they can't play in high school. (hopefully they understand this before they get to high school)

That is one of the negatives for DI privates. If you can't pay, you can't play. Those kids end up going to public or DII schools that are allowed to give need based scholarship.

Not sure how TSSAA deals with work study plans. Hopefully no one is turning on the automatic sprinkler system for tuition bucks.

forgive me if I missed something in the last six pages.

Most DI privates deal with kids who might be on scholarship in elementary and middle and then have to be told they can't play in high school. (hopefully they understand this before they get to high school)

That is one of the negatives for DI privates. If you can't pay, you can't play. Those kids end up going to public or DII schools that are allowed to give need based scholarship.

Not sure how TSSAA deals with work study plans. Hopefully no one is turning on the automatic sprinkler system for tuition bucks.

Actually your first statement is way off...most DI privates just don't have the money to give much financial aid at all, so there is rarely if ever a conflict when kids get to high school.

Thus the one or 2 kids per year that this has an effect on can be offered work by the school to help pay for their tuition (or they can get jobs as lifeguards...I know what I would choose lol)...and believe me, they do not turn sprinklers on and off.

Ok, Baylor is listed as 745 students. I think that is 3a, but it could squeak 2a...but again, I thought you were talking about unfair advantages to 1a and 2a publics??? Baylor is DII.

Ok, now for graduation rates. I thought you were trying to make the point that the small privates had more good athletes than the small publics by comparing the number of scholarship players. If not then I apologize. If so then my point is that you have to figure in drop out and eligibility numbers to get the actual number of athletes that are capable of college level play.

For instance: If the combined Hamilton/Marion County public school drop out rate is 40% (just an example) and of the remaining 60% only half are able/eligible to go to college, then you only have 30% of your students who are in high school going to college. Being generous and assuming that the athletes fall into the average range for students in general, only 30% of the college capable (athletically) Football players will actually be in a position to go on to college. So if the small publics in the area have sent 15 kids to D1a and aa schools in the last 10 years, they actually had something like 45 kids that could have played at that level but 30 of them weren't eligible to go to college for some reason.

On the other hand, the small privates have better than a 90% graduation rate and most have a 98%+. So if they have sent 15 (just for comparison) kids to D1a and aa they actually had 15 - 17 that could have played and almost all of them were eligible.

Thus, while the numbers look even and could be used to argue that privates have more college level athletes than the publics by population, the actual numbers of athletes are not even, and the argument falls apart.

Seven of the eight players in Chattanooga with public 1-A or 1-AA offers are from private schools. More of the same (from McCallie, Temple, Baylor, Notre Dame, one from Brainerd). I would say Boyd-Buchanan's running back would have had them too, if not for two ACL tears, and he may still get them. That leaves the startups as the only private schools teams in Chattanooga with no senior Division I college talent. Do you think all the public schools there can say that? This has nothing to do with graduation rates.

Edited by Indian

Actually your first statement is way off...most DI privates just don't have the money to give much financial aid at all, so there is rarely if ever a conflict when kids get to high school.

Thus the one or 2 kids per year that this has an effect on can be offered work by the school to help pay for their tuition (or they can get jobs as lifeguards...I know what I would choose lol)...and believe me, they do not turn sprinklers on and off.

Baldcoach can you message me on here or email at scofflaw77@yahoo.com Thanks.

Edited by Indian