Why was DII formed?

Antwan

Ok, Baylor is listed as 745 students. I think that is 3a, but it could squeak 2a...but again, I thought you were talking about unfair advantages to 1a and 2a publics??? Baylor is DII.

Ok, now for graduation rates. I thought you were trying to make the point that the small privates had more good athletes than the small publics by comparing the number of scholarship players. If not then I apologize. If so then my point is that you have to figure in drop out and eligibility numbers to get the actual number of athletes that are capable of college level play.

For instance: If the combined Hamilton/Marion County public school drop out rate is 40% (just an example) and of the remaining 60% only half are able/eligible to go to college, then you only have 30% of your students who are in high school going to college. Being generous and assuming that the athletes fall into the average range for students in general, only 30% of the college capable (athletically) Football players will actually be in a position to go on to college. So if the small publics in the area have sent 15 kids to D1a and aa schools in the last 10 years, they actually had something like 45 kids that could have played at that level but 30 of them weren't eligible to go to college for some reason.

On the other hand, the small privates have better than a 90% graduation rate and most have a 98%+. So if they have sent 15 (just for comparison) kids to D1a and aa they actually had 15 - 17 that could have played and almost all of them were eligible.

Thus, while the numbers look even and could be used to argue that privates have more college level athletes than the publics by population, the actual numbers of athletes are not even, and the argument falls apart.

Do the graduation rates make up for the fact there are twice as many publics in the 1A/2A range, and that's including all current Division II schools, but still the signees are uneven? I counted 92-39, and of those 39, 18 were below 200 students. Only five publics below 200, so many more seniors graduating this year in the 1A and 2A level even with a lower rate. I didn't count Baylor, they'd be low 3A with no partial split.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk like this has been only happening recently. ("As long as privates were successful in "country club" sports such as tennis and golf, no one cared") The best team in the state last season in boys' basketball was Brentwood Academy, with their 300 to 400 student body.

You're absolutely (W)right! BA casts a very large net.

Why was D2 formed? After reading the previous posts and some of my research, I came to this conclusion. With BA defeating Riverdale, that got things started. Second, Collinwood being eliminated by private schools two years in a row in the football playoffs. That led to a proposal being sent out on the subject of the split. Third, and this is based on facts that I researched, the event that was the straw that broke the camel's back was Class A baseball. From the year 2000 to 2005 all six Class A champions were privates. In five of those six championship games, both teams were privates. In those six seasons 36 teams qualified for the state tourney, out of those 36, 22 of them were privates. That my friends led to D2 and the multiplier. In 2006, all eight teams that qualified for the Class A state tourney were publics. However, one might see another trend coming, in Class AA, 3 of the 8 teams were privates. The small rural publics were getting dominated in baseball and addded with the the events that was mentioned in football united the small publics and it led to the formation of D2 and the establishment of the multiplier. That is JMO on why D2 was formed.

Stud

This is very simple: Rankin could not stand getting beat by Carlton Flatt and Brentwood Academy. No one even proposed the split when BA was playing in A and AA and beating the schools that were their own size but the minute that Riverdale got beat the wheels started to turn and the split took place. They should have named the split the "RANKIN RULE".

Why was D2 formed? After reading the previous posts and some of my research, I came to this conclusion. With BA defeating Riverdale, that got things started. Second, Collinwood being eliminated by private schools two years in a row in the football playoffs. That led to a proposal being sent out on the subject of the split. Third, and this is based on facts that I researched, the event that was the straw that broke the camel's back was Class A baseball. From the year 2000 to 2005 all six Class A champions were privates. In five of those six championship games, both teams were privates. In those six seasons 36 teams qualified for the state tourney, out of those 36, 22 of them were privates. That my friends led to D2 and the multiplier. In 2006, all eight teams that qualified for the Class A state tourney were publics. However, one might see another trend coming, in Class AA, 3 of the 8 teams were privates. The small rural publics were getting dominated in baseball and addded with the the events that was mentioned in football united the small publics and it led to the formation of D2 and the establishment of the multiplier. That is JMO on why D2 was formed.

Stud

See! It didn't have anything to do with golf and tennis. And if bowling had been around presplit, that wouldn't have been an issue either. I know what your thinking now, "Bowling is a TSSAA sanctioned sport???? What next, cheerleading??"

Laz,

I admit that those titles were after the formation of D2 (I'm not really for sure when D2 was actually formed). As privates continued to dominate Class A baseball after D2 was formed, it was realized that the formation of D2 was not working by itself and so the multiplier was established. I agree that those events in football led to the invention of D2 but the privates' domination of Class A baseball put it over the edge and caused the addition of the multiplier.

What year did D2 actually start?

Edited by StudCantrell

Laz,

I admit that those titles were after the formation of D2 (I'm not really for sure when D2 was actually formed). As privates continued to dominate Class A baseball after D2 was formed, it was realized that the formation of D2 was not working by itself and so the multiplier was established. I agree that those events in football led to the invention of D2 but the privates' domination of Class A baseball put it over the edge and caused the addition of the multiplier.

What year did D2 actually start?