Ensworth

norespect

Don't take them for granted. They might just surprise you. JP2 scrimmaged them this year and our varsity beat them handily but Ricky Bowers is a great football coach and will have them ready this year for their varsity schedule. Good Luck to all. :thumb: JP2FAN

JP2, I'm not sure I would describe the EHS/JP2 scrimmage as you have. If my memory serves me correctly, Ensworth shut down JP2's offense for about 8-9 plays to open the scrimmage and then gave up a long run. True Ensworth's defense gave up several (2-3) long runs, but they were fairly successful at stopping JP2 offense, especially the passing. Ensworth's offense also moved the ball down the field for a few scores. If the two teams played a varsity game I'm sure JP2 would win. But, I don't think the scrimmage was complete domination.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

JP2, I'm not sure I would describe the EHS/JP2 scrimmage as you have. If my memory serves me correctly, Ensworth shut down JP2's offense for about 8-9 plays to open the scrimmage and then gave up a long run. True Ensworth's defense gave up several (2-3) long runs, but they were fairly successful at stopping JP2 offense, especially the passing. Ensworth's offense also moved the ball down the field for a few scores. If the two teams played a varsity game I'm sure JP2 would win. But, I don't think the scrimmage was complete domination.

okay :thumb:

If you are going to beat them it had better be within the next few years. IMO, they will be the premier program in Tennessee after five graduating classes. Ricky Bowers and the Ensworth staff knows how to win.

I'm not so sure you're right here. Rickey Bowers is a great coach, which is why he fielded some very good teams while at MBA, but he also had some exceptional athletes while he was there. I don't forsee Ensworth fielding the same caliber athletes that some of Ricky's past teams have had. In my opinion, Ensworth High School was founded on the concept of being a less competitive alternative to MBA (as well as a co-ed alternative to MBA), and from what I have heard, which is all second and third hand information, Ensworth has not had the dramatic impact on MBA's enrollment that many thought it would. Also, MBA gets the majority of its good athletes from schools other than Ensworth, and its middle school programs regularly beat Ensworth's as well, which is the main reason I think Ensworth was founded. To me it gives off the idea "I'm not gonna be a key player at MBA (or I don't want to compete as hard as I would at MBA), so I'm going to go to Ensworth and be a star." There's nothing wrong with that, and each person is going to have a school that is the right fit for them, but I don't think Ensworth will turn into the premier team in TN year in and year out.

Edited by Redtwin

I'm not so sure you're right here. Rickey Bowers is a great coach, which is why he fielded some very good teams while at MBA, but he also had some exceptional athletes while he was there. I don't forsee Ensworth fielding the same caliber athletes that some of Ricky's past teams have had. In my opinion, Ensworth High School was founded on the concept of being a less competitive alternative to MBA (as well as a co-ed alternative to MBA), and from what I have heard, which is all second and third hand information, Ensworth has not had the dramatic impact on MBA's enrollment that many thought it would. Also, MBA gets the majority of its good athletes from schools other than Ensworth, and its middle school programs regularly beat Ensworth's as well, which is the main reason I think Ensworth was founded. To me it gives of the idea "I'm not gonna be a key player at MBA (or I don't want to compete as hard as I would at MBA), so I'm going to go to Ensworth and be a star." There's nothing wrong with that, and each person is going to have a school that is the right fit for them, but I don't think Ensworth will turn into the premier team in TN year in and year out.

I'm with you on most points. Sounds like there's alot of love going on over there. However, I get the feeling that Ensworth will have (and already have) really good athletes. However, that's not to say that Ensworth's great athletes could all get into MBA. I think Ensworth has and will be more willing to take a chance on a kid than MBA would. I kind of see Ensworth as a bit of a blend of BA and MBA/Harpeth Hall.

As for Giles County: You better be prepared for a well disciplined, well coached, fundamentally sound football team. They won't beat you on athletic ability or experience(no seniors), but will have you on game plan and discipline.

I'm not so sure you're right here. Rickey Bowers is a great coach, which is why he fielded some very good teams while at MBA, but he also had some exceptional athletes while he was there. I don't forsee Ensworth fielding the same caliber athletes that some of Ricky's past teams have had. In my opinion, Ensworth High School was founded on the concept of being a less competitive alternative to MBA (as well as a co-ed alternative to MBA), and from what I have heard, which is all second and third hand information, Ensworth has not had the dramatic impact on MBA's enrollment that many thought it would. Also, MBA gets the majority of its good athletes from schools other than Ensworth, and its middle school programs regularly beat Ensworth's as well, which is the main reason I think Ensworth was founded. To me it gives off the idea "I'm not gonna be a key player at MBA (or I don't want to compete as hard as I would at MBA), so I'm going to go to Ensworth and be a star." There's nothing wrong with that, and each person is going to have a school that is the right fit for them, but I don't think Ensworth will turn into the premier team in TN year in and year out.

I am not sure what you are drinking but I need some of it. Don't take this the wrong way but everyone needs to understand that Ricky is already getting good athletes and he will get more. Jeff Rutledge is a great football coach but Ricky Bowers built that program @ MBA into a power and he will do it again at Ensworth. JMO, but Ricky has a chip on his shoulder and he will do everything possible to show the world that he is a great coach. Ricky will do everything in his power to not only beat MBA but run the score up on them if possible and if that means taking marginal academic students he will do just that. He has already stoped the former athletic pipe lines that he developed at MBA and those same type students are now going to Ensworth. While I like MBA and how they run their football program I feel that it will be many years before MBA reaches the success level they had just a few years ago. The national ranking day's are over because you don't have the same skilled athletes and remember that Ricky was responsible for bringing those athletes to MBA.

Edited by cbg

We are preparing to play a pretty good football team, if our team took one thing away from coach johnson before he left it was how to stay focused, and never underestimate the other guy. I dont know what they have at running back or qb but i can guarantee you, somebody better get on their horse if GC's big defensive line gets after them, or if they're trying to catch Sam Edgemon, either or.

I don't think that athletics weren't that big of a factor in the decision to found Ensworth High School. I would hope that in a few years EHS fits in well with MBA, Harpeth Hall, and USN as one of the top private schools in the city. As for athletics, I think it's way too early to know how Ensworth will compete with MBA, BA, Ryan, etc. Check back in 10 years.

Typical MBA arrogance. No wonder people hate on MBA.

For example to hear MBA supporters talk on CoachT, you would think they invented football yet they won 0 (zero) state championships between 1968 and 1998, a span of 30 years. They never, let me stress NEVER, won a championship since the playoff system was instituted until Division II was formed.

MBA is an excellent school but there are a lot of MBA graduates and supporters that need to get over themselves.

Why can't you just give Ensworth credit for also being an excellent school?

I am not sure what you are drinking but I need some of it. Don't take this the wrong way but everyone needs to understand that Ricky is already getting good athletes and he will get more. Jeff Rutledge is a great football coach but Ricky Bowers built that program @ MBA into a power and he will do it again at Ensworth. JMO, but Ricky has a chip on his shoulder and he will do everything possible to show the world that he is a great coach. Ricky will do everything in his power to not only beat MBA but run the score up on them if possible and if that means taking marginal academic students he will do just that. He has already stoped the former athletic pipe lines that he developed at MBA and those same type students are now going to Ensworth. While I like MBA and how they run their football program I feel that it will be many years before MBA reaches the success level they had just a few years ago. The national ranking day's are over because you don't have the same skilled athletes and remember that Ricky was responsible for bringing those athletes to MBA.

I have to disagree with several of your points here. First, Ricky did not build MBA into a power. It was a nearly one hundred year old football program when he took over, and it was in pretty good shape at that time. He certainly raised the standard some, and his results speak for themselves, but the program was top flight long before he got there.

I am not aware of any acrimony surrounding his leaving. He was well compensated and highly regarded. He indicated to me that a big factor in his leaving was that he could be around his daughters at school with the Ensworth position, something he obviously couldn't do at MBA. If he plays MBA, will he try to win? Absolutely. Would he view it as a grudge match? I see no reason for it to be cast that way.

Show the world he's a great coach? Clearly that's been done. He broke his nose playing freshman football and spent the rest of the year in an undefined position that looked to an outsider a lot like an offesnive coordinator. People at MBA recognized his talents a long time ago, and it seems to me (in my limited correspondence with Ricky) that the parting was solely to take advantage of a once in a lifetime opportunity: to build a program from the gound up at a top notch school.

Edited by KWoodroof