D2 Changes for 2007-2009

jp2fan

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they stay in D2 then they will be in the big class based on enrollment.

Well the D2 committee at TSSAA may want to see how the D2AA schools respond to the change before they set enrollment numbers for that Division's classifications. The four smallest schools in D2AA are BGA, Ensworth, Webb and Harding Academy. They all have enrollment under 500. I know Ensworth plans on playing at the highest level but will they do it next year? Harding has already made the decision to move down (seems so according to the article mentioned above). Webb and BGA have the hardest choice because they have been a competative school in D2AA but will that continue? What are the benefits of D1 over D2A or D2AA for Webb? Can BGA compete like BA with low enrollment numbers (they lost quite a few players when Independence and Ravenwood opened)? These 2 schools' enrollment numbers probably will not increase much to give them the ability to compete.

Edited by jp2fan

Here are some of the 2006 enrollments (and adjustments) from http://www.tssaa.org/Classifications/e2007...enrollments.htm

CAK is big enough to be pushed to D1AAA but that won't happen right now. Somehow, Webb, CAK, and Knox Catholic belong in the same league.

Battle Ground Academy 356

Ensworth 370

Harding Academy 396

Brentwood Academy 446

Webb School of Knoxville 488

Christian Academy of Knoxville 499

Evangelical Christian School 515

Knoxville Catholic High School 548 986(D1)

Notre Dame High School 561 1,010(D1)

Briarcrest Christian School 612

Pope John Paul II High School 651

Baylor School 748

St. Benedict at Auburndale 776

Memphis University School 431 862

Montgomery Bell Academy 462 924

Father Ryan High School 926

McCallie School 625 1,250

Christian Brothers High School 850 1,700

The benefits of Webb moving to D1(AAA) is that they dont have to play McCallie, Baylor, MBA, and BA every year....They would loose anyone on scholarship, but Webb doesnt have but maybe 2 players on scholarship...If they go to D2AA they have to go out and get payers or they will get beat bad...The talent at Webb is falling off pretty fast.

i agree. the administration at webb is leaning more academic everyday. it seems like in 5 years there wont even be an athletic program for heavens sake. if they stay d2 the travel and size difference will probly kill them. if they went d1 3a i think it would be great for knoxville and webb. what a region. webb, catholic, fulton, austin east, anderson county, livingston academy, and kingston

Do the schools have the option to go D1 with the 1.8 multiplier? The Knoxville News-Sentinel has had no coverage of this which is par for the course. It isn't going to be a picnic for schools like ECS and JP2 to play the big boys.

D2 schools may move to D1 with the 1.8 multiplier if they don't have any athletes receiving financial aid. The D1 private schools can still give financial aid but those students will not be allowed to participate in TSSAA sponsored athletic events.

D2 schools may move to D1 with the 1.8 multiplier ...

Are you sure about that? I've heard that the decision that is due by Sept. 11th only is to decide which D2 division each school will compete in.

Allowing these schools to move to D1 with multiplier would cause some restructuring of current D1 classifications to take place, which I don't believe the TSSAA is willing to do. The next restructuring is not going to happen until the 2009 season.

I can't imagine any D2 school jumping to D1 on such short notice and causing aid athletes to be ineligible for season at that school or having to possibly transfer to a D1 school etc.

I know in the recent past that Webb has competed against Baylor and McCallie in football. I remember Webb beating Baylor once and losing all of the other games to them so you're right, moving into the large D2 division will be a HUGE challenge for the Webb, BGA, JP2 and ECSs of the world.

i dont think webb is going to stop giving financial aid to athletes. there is no reason they should. Webb wont stop helping people get a great education just to play football with other great public schools. no reason to punish someone and not give them financial aid just becuase there an athlete either. so really just a catch 22 seems to me for the spartans.