Bell Glades FL Vs Byrnes SC

Purple & Gold Standard

Well Dobyns-Bennett took some players over to SC to a big scrimmage and from what I heard Byrnes looked elit very very good.....you have to realize they are use to being the number one team and the biggest and best and to play another top team takes some getting used to but overall good game for byrnes waaaaaay to many penalties though alot of that was the teams fault but sometimes you just got to let the kids play

I honestly think the officials wanted to be on ESPN. Way too many penalties. We are talking about high school kids.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From what I saw of this game, there were too many penalties called. Especially holding. The intentional grounding call was a good one, there was not a receiver anywhere near the ball as it sailed out of bounds. There is not a provision in HS ball for the QB to throw it away when outside the tackles. The unsportmanlike on the Fla player for spiking the ball after he ran with a recovered fumble was also a good call. Someone has been watching NFL and trying to put those rules into place for HS games.

Well, I had to miss the leave before it was over, but I'm assuming that Byrnes held on. Overall, I thought the officiating was below average. I don't have a problem with the unsportsmanlike conduct and most personal fouls, I agree 100% (I hate spiking the ball at mid field), but the nit-pick holding calls ruined the flow of the game, as well as made it about 15 minutes longer.

I thought overall the play was sloppy, but I thought the same thing last year when I watched Nease and Hoover. With all of the intangibles thrown into the game, I can see why it would be. I think RRR pointed it out earlier, but Byrnes was a more well coached team. BG probably had more raw talent on the field, but Byrnes was very well coached. The interview of the Byrnes coach summed it up for me when it talked about the two middle schools that feed into his program and how in middle school the placed a strict emphasis on fundamentals. Overall, it seemed like a Maryville/Melrose game on a higher level.

Also reinforced yet again this weekend about what wins in high school football......well-coached fundamental teams.

I would love to see a Byrnes/Hoover showdown sometime. That, my friends, would be a game.

Agreed, Solomon, and there may be some form of "home-cooking" in play here (I wonder if these are SC officials - I would assume so).

Glades has size and talent, but the play-calling and discipline is poor. Teams like Glades probably just try to "out-athlete" their opponents.

You've pretty much summed up south Florida HS football there. The talent is incredible, and even in a poverty stricken area like Belle Glade, the facilities are first rate. But discipline is very poor. The unsportsmanlike conduct call on the Glades TD that was called back is pretty typical.

This is slightly off topic but I went down to the South Panola (MS) game versus their big rival Clarksdale and I was equally unimpressed with the performance there. Panola was huge and had some obvious talent on the field but the discipline just wasn't what you would expect from a nationally ranked football team. I think it just goes to show you that there really is no logical way to rank the 25 best football teams in the country -- there are too many teams and too many games to watch for one guy to slop together a top 25. To cut corners they generally look at a team's past credentials which don't have anything to do with the team on the field.

This is slightly off topic but I went down to the South Panola (MS) game versus their big rival Clarksdale and I was equally unimpressed with the performance there. Panola was huge and had some obvious talent on the field but the discipline just wasn't what you would expect from a nationally ranked football team. I think it just goes to show you that there really is no logical way to rank the 25 best football teams in the country -- there are too many teams and too many games to watch for one guy to slop together a top 25. To cut corners they generally look at a team's past credentials which don't have anything to do with the team on the field.

Maybe Germantown can give South Panola a run for its money this year. I know SP won handily last year, but Germantown is one of the few Memphis programs I would want representing Tennessee in a matchup with Mississippi's finest. Maybe GHS can play good defense against SP like they did against JCM last Friday.

The speed of this game would make a Riverdale-Melrose game seem like it was played on a field of molasses.

This is a stupid statement coming from someone who usually has good posts on this site and their opinion is well received.

I certainly didn't mean to disrespect either TN team, but sometimes it's necessary to use extreme analogies to get a point across.

Obviously, Riverdale and Melrose have speed, but after seeing Byrnes in person last year and this game on TV Saturday, the speed of Byrnes (and GC) seemed markedly different from what we generally see here in TN. By speed, I'm referring not so much as to speed in the sense of 40 times, but more so to speed in the sense of the purpose with which players on both side of the ball react and move.

Perhaps a more fitting analogy with molasses would have been the duration of the game time, which seemed like a half-day with all of the yellow hankies being tossed around.

Byrnes is a good team year in and year out...however, they lost in a scrimmage a couple of weeks ago (as if scrimmages mean anything)...just throwin that out there...one of the other teams in SC thats nationally ranked is Summerville...throwin that out there as well...

Byrnes is a good team year in and year out...however, they lost in a scrimmage a couple of weeks ago (as if scrimmages mean anything)...just throwin that out there...one of the other teams in SC thats nationally ranked is Summerville...throwin that out there as well...

Well,that scrimmage was against Independence out of Charlotte,N.C...A team, according to the Byrnes web-site, that has won 92 games in a row...A scrimmage by the way Byrnes led 21-0 before the Independence reserves rallied against the Byrnes reserves to win 28-21....A scrimmage that saw 7,500 people attend...Just throwin the whole story out there.... :blink: