Alcoa at CAK

mmm71690

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

O and, RebelRon, Alcoa is not better than they were last year. Are you kidding? Look at the athletes they've lost. Sure they have Shiverdecker, Cobb, and Lanxter, but Lanxter has been known to show up for some games and not for others. Cobb is decent and Shiverdecker is pretty good.

Shiverdecker is "pretty good", you need to stay away from crack or whatever it is you are smoking, because Chris Shiverdecker aka Shivy is one excellent ball player and he can run that ball down the field quicker than anybody in the state and another thing that makes him an excellent athelete, is the fact that he is very humble, he's not a showboat!

RebelRon excellent post!!!

This one will not be a blowout for sure. It will be a one touchdown game maybe 10 pts(i doubt alcoa has a kicker). go warriors!

O and, RebelRon, Alcoa is not better than they were last year. Are you kidding? Look at the athletes they've lost. Sure they have Shiverdecker, Cobb, and Lanxter, but Lanxter has been known to show up for some games and not for others. Cobb is decent and Shiverdecker is pretty good.

Well Shiverdecker, Cobb, and Lanxter are all pretty good. In fact they are better than they were last year. No doubt, it's hard to replace Lindsey, Warren, and Fiegler. But the Alcoa team this year has developed players that are top notch. The one player that no one seems to talk about is Bart Hicks. What a linebacker!! CAK had better find a way to limit his ability of getting to the QB. This is a better overall Alcoa team than the previous 2 years because the coaching and discipline have taken them to another level.

The only way CAK can win is if Alcoa is sleeping through this game and with Rankin at the helm, I don't believe that will be the case.

Alcoa 42

CAK 14

I too believe Alcoa is a better disciplined, and better coached team this year. CAK will have a hard time making a game of this one. I also agree that Bart Hicks is underrated, he is a force at linebacker. This may be the game where Cobb gains confidence in his arm. Shiverdecker has replaced Dustin better than I expected. Warren is nearly impossible to replace at tight end. Rae will turn up his game and bring a much needed pass rush. Alcoa has all the weapons needed on offense to form a powerful attack. One player no one has yet mentioned (at least that I have seen) is Sam Thompson. He booted the first punt of the game and was in on a majority of tackles, and is only a Sophmore. He has great potential, he has his two brothers at Annapolis and I believe he has equal potential. He may go under the radar this year but he will be big in the next couple.

Alcoa 28

CAK 7

I too believe Alcoa is a better disciplined, and better coached team this year. CAK will have a hard time making a game of this one. I also agree that Bart Hicks is underrated, he is a force at linebacker. This may be the game where Cobb gains confidence in his arm. Shiverdecker has replaced Dustin better than I expected. Warren is nearly impossible to replace at tight end. Rae will turn up his game and bring a much needed pass rush. Alcoa has all the weapons needed on offense to form a powerful attack. One player no one has yet mentioned (at least that I have seen) is Sam Thompson. He booted the first punt of the game and was in on a majority of tackles, and is only a Sophmore. He has great potential, he has his two brothers at Annapolis and I believe he has equal potential. He may go under the radar this year but he will be big in the next couple.

Alcoa 28

CAK 7

You are correct Thompson really impressed me on Friday night. Not only punting the ball but his defense as well.

There is no doubt that this year's Alcoa has a different feel than last years team and thier are some things that point to a different style of team play but I dont know how it comes down to more discipline on this team. The only real indicator so far is the lack of penalties (yes there were some in Maryville game unlike last years team).

I think that the new coach has put his stamp on this team. They play a more conservative game then last years team. Is conservative bad, not in of itself. If I compare the two styles of play both can win for you. Being old school I think the conservative play puts you in charge of one aspect of football most people over look, The clock.

When i look at this years team they appear a little more confident and mature. Last years team was a little wilder and off the hook to borrow a phrase from todays vernacular. As for talent on this team. I dont know how Alcoa does it with such a small pool of players but they come up with some great players year after year.

Two more comments, No one is going to catch shivy when he gets a one one or one on two situation, and if Bart Hicks hits you solid you need more than a BC powder to make you feel better.

In closing I think their play matches the style of the coach. The question yet to be answered is will they both produce champions.

Edited by k12koop

I'm not sure I completely agree that Alcoa is conservative. The coaches called back to back trick plays against Maryville. They did run the ball more but how much of that was do to Cobb starting his first game?

I think it is a little too early to classify Rankin's play calling. As he said in the paper, he wanted to keep the game close going into the 4th quarter. He implemented that strategy almost to perfection because he felt that was the best way to stay close to the Rebs. You could see the strategy unfold, especially after Cobb hit Lanxter deep. Alcoa had a chance to win.

I would imagine that things will open up more. I look for this week's game to be a statement game for Alcoa.

I'm not sure I completely agree that Alcoa is conservative. The coaches called back to back trick plays against Maryville. They did run the ball more but how much of that was do to Cobb starting his first game?

I think it is a little too early to classify Rankin's play calling. As he said in the paper, he wanted to keep the game close going into the 4th quarter. He implemented that strategy almost to perfection because he felt that was the best way to stay close to the Rebs. You could see the strategy unfold, especially after Cobb hit Lanxter deep. Alcoa had a chance to win.

I would imagine that things will open up more. I look for this week's game to be a statement game for Alcoa.

That comment would be my only complaint so far with the new coach. I dont ever want to keep the game close especially against Maryville because Coach Quarles is a magician. If I was playing them I would want to crush them soundly (if you could) . Play the game close sounds like prevent defense, which almost always kills you in the end.

As for Cobb being up for the test. My money is on that he will be known as one of Alcoa's great players some day. Hard to believe he is a JR., and if you look at his size this year to last year he made big strides over the summer.

In fact as a team as a whole I would put them on par with last years, maybe a little stronger in some places and a little weaker in others.

For those with season tickets you will get your monies worth.

Edited by k12koop

Next year Alcoa will slip. They will still be a good team. They won't be as dominant. They lose 25 seniors. A lot of them have played 3-4 years.

Don't look for Alcoa to "slip" next year. The freshman team beat MURVUL's freshman team last night 22-16. Really good game! There are guys who,as they grow and get bigger, will fill in the void.

Great comments from everyone-Ron you know your football and you especially know your Maryville/Alcoa stats (Excellent post up there by the way) however I disagree with you on your Next year Alcoa will slip comment-even with the loss of the seniors that will still be in a great position for another run at state. They have some freshmen and sophs who will be ready to play............

Edited by alcoafan72