Oak Ridge v. Heritage

BIG CAT RIDGER

In response to jedave30:

Actually, My real name is Joe Montana. I won 4 Superbowls and few MVP's in the NFL. Not that I like to brag or anything, but I also won my Fantasy Football Superbowl last year, so I hope that enough credentials for you.

Now back to the Coaching debate. Stevens is a decent coach. His record shows it. Shattuck, as a coach by record may not be that good. If that where the debate ends, then that shows little to no knowledge of team sports and of coaching. Norm Chow as an OC, won several NCAA championships with USC. He now stinks because the Titans can't score on anybody, Right? Phil Jackson has won several titles in the NBA as a coach but last year, some horses were gone and no title. Does that mean he stinks as a coach? The reality is, coaching take on many different aspects. In football, assist coaches are vital. Talent is vital. In Clinton, no one in there right mind would say that Shattuck has had the talent that any Oak Ridge team has had in the past ten years. Stevens has had talented players every where he has been. Now, I believe that true coaching is maximizing a players potential. Randy Saunders leaves TN and Erik Ainge is coming back to the quarterback that every thought he could be. Does that make Fulmer a good coach or a good administrator by hiring Cutcliffe again? My point is being a head coach is only part of a very big puzzle. In order for a team to be successful it takes commitment from the team, the coaching staff, the community and some form of talented players. Coaching is all about maximizing players abilities and potential. If Stevens can do this, then he is a good coach. As for talent, Oak Ridge isn't as loaded this year as they have been in the past but they still are a good football team. Whatever the Wildcats do for the remainder of the season, don't fold up the tents. Support your boys, coaches and community and let the chips fall where they may.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just curious...what did you do with that full scholarship and all those awards? Most of us were suporting OR football when you were still pooping green. Does that mean that we can line up and play for USC as you mentioned. Surely not. But, do we have knowledge of the program for the past 60 years that it's been in existence? Many do. So, as the discussion moves on you are entiltled to your opinion and we to ours. Coaching is a tough business, if you don't believe that go ask the Great Pumpkin. I'm happy that you support the program, but you don't have to be a Yellow Dog Wildcat. I'm sure you know what that means.

Ole Dad

It amazes me that we keep talking about the coaches. Coach Stevens has won a state championship and played for a championship. How many other coaches in the State can say that? Did he win the State with an undiscipline team? Was he ranked number 1 in the state year in and year out with undiscipline teams? I'll also assume that USC lost the national championship last year because they were an undiscipline team.

We all agree that the Wildcats are inexperience. What do you expect when one of your experience players put the inexperience players in the hole early (2 fumbles and 2 interceptions (my bad one was better than a punt). Where talking about the guy who SHOULD be the leader. Know one is mentioning that. How can that be blamed on Coach Stevens. He has nothing to do with that. I guess he won the first 2 games because the teams he played were also inexperienced or had bad coaching.

Let's go back to week 1. Some of you guys are the same ones talking about how Coach Shaddock in Clinton is a good coach. This man has won 3 or 4 games over the last 3 or 4 years and you say he is a good coach. What did he do to be consider a good coach? When will Coach Stevens get his credit.

Once again, we talk about Coach Gaddis should've been the Head Coach. Outside of all his off the field problems, does anyone remember when he went 5-5. What excuses did we have for him? Since he is the almighty Coach everybody was wanting.

I played for Coach Gaddis if anyone is questioning me. I was All State 2 years and every other award giving out around the State for 2 years. I was giving a full scholarship. Do the rest of you Monday Morning quarterbacks can say that. What are your credentials?

Edited by Ole Dad

It amazes me that we keep talking about the coaches. Coach Stevens has won a state championship and played for a championship. How many other coaches in the State can say that? Did he win the State with an undiscipline team? Was he ranked number 1 in the state year in and year out with undiscipline teams? I'll also assume that USC lost the national championship last year because they were an undiscipline team.

We all agree that the Wildcats are inexperience. What do you expect when one of your experience players put the inexperience players in the hole early (2 fumbles and 2 interceptions (my bad one was better than a punt). Where talking about the guy who SHOULD be the leader. Know one is mentioning that. How can that be blamed on Coach Stevens. He has nothing to do with that. I guess he won the first 2 games because the teams he played were also inexperienced or had bad coaching.

Let's go back to week 1. Some of you guys are the same ones talking about how Coach Shaddock in Clinton is a good coach. This man has won 3 or 4 games over the last 3 or 4 years and you say he is a good coach. What did he do to be consider a good coach? When will Coach Stevens get his credit.

Once again, we talk about Coach Gaddis should've been the Head Coach. Outside of all his off the field problems, does anyone remember when he went 5-5. What excuses did we have for him? Since he is the almighty Coach everybody was wanting.

I played for Coach Gaddis if anyone is questioning me. I was All State 2 years and every other award giving out around the State for 2 years. I was giving a full scholarship. Do the rest of you Monday Morning quarterbacks can say that. What are your credentials?

jedave30,

While I may agree with some of your post. I don't agree with your assessment that you are more qualified than any other poster on CoachT. For one, when you call out ONE kid as the problem in a loss, you show lack of character. If you are indeed a former player, you should know better. Also, you have posted on CoachT that you have played for Coach Lussier and Coach Gaddis, and that Stanton is a close friend of yours. Your views or opinions may be a little biased, don't you think! If your going to brag about your credentials, then you need to back it up, with good, informative post!

jedave30,

While I may agree with some of your post. I don't agree with your assessment that you are more qualified than any other poster on CoachT. For one, when you call out ONE kid as the problem in a loss, you show lack of character. If you are indeed a former player, you should know better. Also, you have posted on CoachT that you have played for Coach Lussier and Coach Gaddis, and that Stanton is a close friend of yours. Your views or opinions may be a little biased, don't you think! If your going to brag about your credentials, then you need to back it up, with good, informative post!

I'm not saying one kid is the problem. I'm looking at the big picture. I saying it didn't help. That loss was a program loss and a community loss. That's why we're on here. Most of the finger point seems to be headed at Coach Stevens. I do agree that Coach Stevens needs to re-assess his team.

My point is; it's easy to sit on the hill, the stands or where ever you may sit and second guess. We see plays as they develop. It's a different story when you're in the trenches. This is an inexperience team, let's give them time to develop. Look at last year, there was a new system put into place and new results. Compare all the coaches before Stevens, when you were in the stands you knew what play the old coaches were about to call. When Stevens took the helm, he had you guessing and that's what offenses should be about. When Stevens took over, he said you will have to be able to pass the ball to beat a team like Riverdale and make it to the State. Should I say more.

We need to be patient. Where we really predicted to beat DB considering what we lost versus what they had coming back? The season is still early. If we're playing like this in week 7 or 8, then we have legitimate concerns.

That's bunk. We debated the run/pass ratio last year and the points scored per game and found that Lussier's teams actually passed more and scored more so this whole new system thing is baloney. Everyone in the stadium (OR fans) was embarrassed on the play calling and prepartion for the state championship game last year. But, I will say, give him a chance. He is now getting to work with his players and not the ones that Lussier and company left behind. We will know soon enough if a new system will make a positive difference.

Ole dad

I'm not saying one kid is the problem. I'm looking at the big picture. I saying it didn't help. That loss was a program loss and a community loss. That's why we're on here. Most of the finger point seems to be headed at Coach Stevens. I do agree that Coach Stevens needs to re-assess his team.

My point is; it's easy to sit on the hill, the stands or where ever you may sit and second guess. We see plays as they develop. It's a different story when you're in the trenches. This is an inexperience team, let's give them time to develop. Look at last year, there was a new system put into place and new results. Compare all the coaches before Stevens, when you were in the stands you knew what play the old coaches were about to call. When Stevens took the helm, he had you guessing and that's what offenses should be about. When Stevens took over, he said you will have to be able to pass the ball to beat a team like Riverdale and make it to the State. Should I say more.

We need to be patient. Where we really predicted to beat DB considering what we lost versus what they had coming back? The season is still early. If we're playing like this in week 7 or 8, then we have legitimate concerns.

That's bunk. We debated the run/pass ratio last year and the points scored per game and found that Lussier's teams actually passed more and scored more so this whole new system thing is baloney. Everyone in the stadium (OR fans) was embarrassed on the play calling and prepartion for the state championship game last year. But, I will say, give him a chance. He is now getting to work with his players and not the ones that Lussier and company left behind. We will know soon enough if a new system will make a positive difference.

Ole dad

How many of those passes that Lussier ran was downfield? That's my point. Did he ever go veritcal or do you need a simplified term? I guess we'll say Coach Stevens is like NFTA, "he doesn't make the product, he just makes them better". With those same kids that were left behind due to grade level, why didn't they make it past Riverdale? Once upon time, they had Corey Booker and Spencer in the backfield with an EXPERIENCE quarterback.

I'm not going to talk about the State game. Only if you knew. I'm not going to call one kid out, but from other players (key players that I add), I heard there was some checks not made on offense. There was some quick pass that we couldn't make. Don't this season looks familar

Well, this team certainly makes mistakes, much like Oak Ridge has of late.

By the way, I have no idea about injury situations with Heritage, most of this is pre-season knowledge after talking with coach Rewis.

On offense Heritage returned six starters from last season. Their leading passer is Dylan Morgan, he has tossed four tochdowns and five picks. His completion percentage is a tad over 50 (all of this according to second-hand information, by the way.)

On the ground, it appears three guys carry the load with Cody Lindsey, Bryan Wigington and Justin Caines. Wigington is a returning all-conference player and very dangerous in some situations.

but all three have decent averages per carry. Caines also appears to be the primary target most of the time through the air.

Heritage opened with games they were supposed to win, downing Seymour 18-15 and then Campbell County 29-14. The opponents got tougher and Heritage just doesn't have the program where it needs to be to complete. Farragut and Maryville handed them nice spankings.

Heritage lost eight starters on defense, from a team that finished 4-6 last season. Clark Kerns (6-1, 225 sr.) and two-way lineman Jamie Lotz (6-3, 245 sr.) were touted to be leaders on that side of the ball.

I do hear that they are capable of allowing teams to have huge nights through the air, so we will see. Oak Ridge needs to maintain some level of intensity, I don't care if they are playing me and my four cousins.

Hey Tank or DCCATVOICE what do you know about Heritage? I know they have a 235 lb running back and they play their safety really deep. Can you shed any light on their strengths, weakness, etc.? Now, I'll hang up and listen to your comments.:thumb:

Scored more points and allowed less. Last time I checked that's how they determine who wins and looses. So I guess going long is not always the answer. In fact ask Shiney Pants how that worked against The Dogs last week.

Ole Dad

How many of those passes that Lussier ran was downfield? That's my point. Did he ever go veritcal or do you need a simplified term? I guess we'll say Coach Stevens is like NFTA, "he doesn't make the product, he just makes them better". With those same kids that were left behind due to grade level, why didn't they make it past Riverdale? Once upon time, they had Corey Booker and Spencer in the backfield with an EXPERIENCE quarterback.

I'm not going to talk about the State game. Only if you knew. I'm not going to call one kid out, but from other players (key players that I add), I heard there was some checks not made on offense. There was some quick pass that we couldn't make. Don't this season looks familar