Omar Wattad announces on monday oct. 16th

heatplaya

OK Cap, don't take this the wrong way or anything... not trying to sound superior or anything like that...but language origin is my field of expertise. "Gratis" was first incorporated into the English language around the 12th century as a contraction of the Latin "gratiis" meaning"for thanks". We are technically both right...and wrong. "Gratis"appears in both the English and Spanish languages with the same spelling and both are derived from Latin. So you see while "gratis" is a spanish word, it is also an english("gratis" in spanish is "gratis") word so you probably should have saved your definition for someone unfamiliar with their native tongue.(of course you probablyknow some of these people better than I )

On another note...Am I to understand, in the future, that "you people" referred to in your posts does not really refer to "you people" but to a "few of you people"?

I am so ready for basketball...

Well…if trying not to sound superior is your goal, you are right on track. All of that in which you just rambled on about doesn’t amount to a hill of beans to me. And unless you teach on some level…your parents have to be a little disgusted about their investment into your education. :lol:

Many words in every language have more than one meaning…that’s why we use them in the context of a sentence. My use of the word Gratis was used as a reference to Omar’s education being “free of charge”, so there should have been no doubt as to what the meaning of my use of the word “gratis” as it related to the context. As a matter of fact…I gave you the origin (Spanish) and the definition (free of charge) in the same sentence. So…no…we are not “both technically right and wrong”. You are simple WRONG, because you tried to take the word out of its surrounding context to give it another meaning. And I take my earlier statement back. The teaching thing probably doesn’t work for you either!!! :D

Now take a deep breath and count to ten before you respond. Try to remember this is all in fun. Barb you sound like a very smart person...and for the sake of having positive dialog with you on future threads……………………..I give up. YOU WIN!! :thumb:

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well…if trying not to sound superior is your goal, you are right on track. All of that in which you just rambled on about doesn’t amount to a hill of beans to me. And unless you teach on some level…your parents have to be a little disgusted about their investment into your education. :D

Many words in every language have more than one meaning…that’s why we use them in the context of a sentence. My use of the word Gratis was used as a reference to Omar’s education being “free of charge”, so there should have been no doubt as to what the meaning of my use of the word “gratis” as it related to the context. As a matter of fact…I gave you the origin (Spanish) and the definition (free of charge) in the same sentence. So…no…we are not “both technically right and wrong”. You are simple WRONG, because you tried to take the word out of its surrounding context to give it another meaning. And I take my earlier statement back. The teaching thing probably doesn’t work for you either!!! :D

Now take a deep breath and count to ten before you respond. Try to remember this is all in fun. Barb you sound like a very smart person...and for the sake of having positive dialog with you on future threads……………………..I give up. YOU WIN!! :thumb:

You are obviously just like my husband....I should probably just say "yes dear" and roll my eyes. My parents had no investment in my education(god rest their souls)as I mentioned in my first response to you, I went on scholarship... gratis...free of charge. I am retired from teaching and am a freelance copy editor.(I read and correct grammar and usage for a living)Also have a degree in math if you would care to debate probability and statistics....but I guess that can wait until the season starts. Go back and reread our bantering posts then look up the words "origin" and "context" because you seem to be getting them confused. I NEVER used the word "gratis" in any context... I merely stated its origin...which is latin ... and etymologically correct.

Oh yeah, I like to have the last word too! :lol:

Edited by barb

I can't believe everyone don't see this!!!! Even the all wise Cap1. The one that started this thread "Heatplaya" is indeed Omar himself! :thumb:

I really don't think so but if you read all his posts since last year he is Omar's biggest fan. When you have Wattad's talent and Heatplaya, you really don't need to talk yourself up.

The clarification posts (including this one) were meant for the “special people” from Sullivan Central…namely brock20 and hessforprez, and apparently you. I think most others (may not agree) but they understand where I’m coming from. I’ve dealt with these two before, and the “giving it a bit more thought first” approach isn’t going to remedy the communication barrier there. I plan on going to CoachT and proposing a “POST BY PICTURE” thread for the reading impaired. :D:thumb:

Barb…please don’t take my sarcasm personal. If you have read my posts you would know that I have this insane sense of humor that these guys on here love to hate. And I’m probably not your most “politically correct” poster on here, but I say things, and make points that some agree with…but only think about, because they are fearful of how others will think of them. I don’t seem to have that problem. :lol: Matt 7:1-5

barb, all you have to know about Cap1 is that in a couple of months he will make some prediction that TN High will beat somebody and they will fall on their face. Then he will make a new screen name and then eventually ruin that name as well. He already has one waiting...I think it is "VikingVoice".

Cap1, you get upset with me and the other people from Central because you can't win the arguments here on CoachT with Central and you couldn't beat Central on the court either...

barb, all you have to know about Cap1 is that in a couple of months he will make some prediction that TN High will beat somebody and they will fall on their face. Then he will make a new screen name and then eventually ruin that name as well. He already has one waiting...I think it is "VikingVoice".

Cap1, you get upset with me and the other people from Central because you can't win the arguments here on CoachT with Central and you couldn't beat Central on the court either...

Brock I don’t really get upset with anybody on here…especially not you and your little cheerleader hess. In fact…I think your moronic posts are amusing at times. Heck…you guys are the Beavis and Butthead of coacht. (hessforprez is definitely Butthead) :D:thumb::thumb:

Really, I have no beef with Cap. Yeah he comes across kinda arrogant and has the language skills of a cave man, but he supports his team and has a good attidude towards young athletes in general. Most everyone on CoachT at one point or another has made a comment or prediction they would like to run from. I have the dubious misfortune of being from Greeneville, the most inconsistant football team in the region. I get egg on my face more times than I care to mention. I don't like to admit I am wrong either so if I am I just lay low or switch topics for a while.(notice Cap, I am not admitting wrong just to appease you)

I would wager none of our sneakers have hit the courts in some time, so if we suppose ourselves to be basketball gurus, then maybe we should be coaching or prognosticating in Vegas. But since we aren't, then what's wrong with blowing our horn a bit on CoachT. The only person we are embarrassing is ourselves.

Now, back to Omar; With so many promising young athletes heading down the wrong road after graduating, I think it says a lot about a young man who can use his talent as a means to an end other than basketball. Georgetown is a fine institution but Washington D.C. is a crazy town. Wilmington is not quite as good but it is closer to home and has the beach. He told a reporter at Georgetown back on Oct 4 that he had narrowed it down to those 2 schools:

"Southern Illinois offered, Vanderbilt, UMass and I got like 30 or 40 smaller schools who offered. I was recruited by George Washington earlier, they kept pressuring me to commit but I wasn't ready but they offered. But I've narrowed it down pretty much to Georgetown and UNC Wilmington. But I still like Vanderbilt and UMass, they're in there but not really so it's mainly Georgetown and UNC Wilmington", Wattad mentioned about his recruiting activity." Hoyareport.com

There has been no mention of an offer from Georgetown,however I am sure one was tendered or they would not make his short list.

I think of those school mentioned he should go with Georgetown...more history, more exposure nationally and probably a better basketball conference than the rest of his choices.

That's a whole lot of strange choices in schools...UNC-Wilmington gives me the idea he's not as good as you'd think...UNC-Chapel Hill on the other hand...

I think of those school mentioned he should go with Georgetown...more history, more exposure nationally and probably a better basketball conference than the rest of his choices.

That's a whole lot of strange choices in schools...UNC-Wilmington gives me the idea he's not as good as you'd think...UNC-Chapel Hill on the other hand...

George Washington wouldn't have been a bad choice either or UTC. Both have good solid bball programs. I think maybe its the package they are offering that sets these schools apart from the others.

Do you have any idea how elite the group of players that garners even the slightest interest fron UNC Chapel Hill? Its like getting attention from Duke. Look at the list of schools that have at least a medium interest in Omar and you can easily see he is as good as everyone thinks. Arizona State, Geo. Mason, Southern Illinois, and Virginia Tech also had interest in him.

I don't understand what you think is so strange about the choices...I am sure he appreciates them

George Washington wouldn't have been a bad choice either or UTC. Both have good solid bball programs. I think maybe its the package they are offering that sets these schools apart from the others.

Do you have any idea how elite the group of players that garners even the slightest interest fron UNC Chapel Hill? Its like getting attention from Duke. Look at the list of schools that have at least a medium interest in Omar and you can easily see he is as good as everyone thinks. Arizona State, Geo. Mason, Southern Illinois, and Virginia Tech also had interest in him.

I don't understand what you think is so strange about the choices...I am sure he appreciates them

What I'm saying is Vandy, UMass and UNC-W are a little out of sorts alongside Georgetown...the Hoyas have a history of being competitive and have a NC to their credit...the other 3 listed are odd is all I'm saying. Of course I'm sure he appreciates the attention, but those 4 schools together sound odd in the same discussion when we talk about recruiting in any sport actually...