Strong Rumor............Oak Ridge vs Maryville Week 0 2007

MLREB

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would be surprised to see Maryville play this game. I guess we'll see....

Really? Why?

You think Maryville would not welcome the opportunity to play another great program like Oak Ridge? I hope this is true and maybe WB needs a break from such stiff competition to move the program in another direction. Maryville could use some stiffer competition to transition into 5A.

For years Maryville has been acussed of being “Scared” to play up all the while having two 5A programs on their schedule every year. And in beating teams the past 8 years in the play-offs and during state championship games vs. some of those great teams Maryville was able to beat like Melrose, Hillsboro, Knox Central, Morristown West, Memphis East also beat 5A teams on their schedule.

I hope it happens.

Excuse me for being ignorant on this subject, but how does WB's administration control this? Doesn't it take two teams to form a contract? Couldn't Maryville say no and move on to schedule whoever else they wanted to play?

I'm guessing that there is some politics in play here but i don't quite get it.

Truly I think some of you guys are leting your ego get the best of you. For sure Maryville is as good as any top 5, 5A team year in and year out. But also any top 5, 5A team is as good as Maryville year in and year out. Maryville is so close to 5A in enrollment now there is just no difference there. I can see Maryville, Oak Ridge, and Dobyns Bennett competing against each other much like Oak Ridge And Dobyns Bennett does now. Their pretty even most years and the series wins and loses reflect that. Sevier County, and Ooltewah have really improved in the past few years. Jefferson County has been down for 3 years but will once again be a state power. William Blount has improved under Meadows. Farragut has also gotten better in the past few years. Please don't even bring up scrimmages, thats so lame. The team that wins a scrimmage is the team that learns the most. And lay off of Oak Ridge. Their down this year sure. But can anyone tell me when they were ever down before? You know they did make it to the final game last year. Also say what you want about Ooltewah. They just might be the best team in East Tn. this year, as well as the state.

Maryville hasn't beaten any 5a teams other than Heritage and William Blount. I don't wanna hear how you would roll over Ooltewah, DB or Oak Ridge.

You're making it sound like Ooltewah and Oak Ridge are far away better than WB. WB's on the same level as both of those teams this year.

I am excited about the possibility of Maryville moving up to 5A. I think it would be great for their program and great for 5A football.

As far as the competition ... all I can base it on is the fact that that over the past few years, William Blount has competed very closely (with a few w's mixed in) against the likes of Ooltewah, Oak Ridge, Sevier County, Farragut, Jeff County, etc. During that same period of time, they haven't been in the same league as Maryville. Not even close. I DO NOT believe Maryville's record over the past 5 - 6 years would be much different than it is now, regardless of what classification they might have played in.

As far as the future, I believe there could be some "chinks in the armor" in the upcoming years ... maybe not next season, but there is going to be some work to be done in the next few years. But remember who'll be doing that work ... George Quarles, David Ellis, Jimmy Gaylor and company.

This season? If Maryville had played WB's schedule, I have not doubt they'd be undefeated. After seeing Oak Ridges sophomores the other night and hearing about their freshmen team; and hearing how Ooltewah's freshmen team has dominated this year; and knowing that WB has several good sophomores and and freshmen ... who knows what it might be like in '09 if Maryville moves up. But until then, I give the nod to the Rebels.