I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who are you taking in our late game tonight? :thumb:

gonna go out on a limb here with this pick based on some of PTS' former thoughts. I'll take the mighty mighty lady ROOOOOSTERS in a close one and say it will be decided on a very questionable call late in the game by an official with notable cocke county ties. lol!!!! all jokes aside, I think CCHS wins in a close one.

gonna go out on a limb here with this pick based on some of PTS' former thoughts. I'll take the mighty mighty lady ROOOOOSTERS in a close one and say it will be decided on a very questionable call late in the game by an official with notable cocke county ties. lol!!!! all jokes aside, I think CCHS wins in a close one.

ha ha ..............which part was the joke??? :thumb: PT is just trying reverse psychology.....i'll take East and Jeff. w/ both being battles

Is Greeneville an "average" team? Okay, I will say that I think they are beatable. Unfotunately, almost no one that they have played thus far has been able to prove this theory. If they are not that good, then they have fooled not only me, but a majority of the AP voters, since they are now ranked #1. And I'm not a 'homer', I'm from a different conference............

Well I'll agree with you in the fact that they have the AP voters fooled, but that wouldn't take much. PTS, being an AP voter, im sure will tell you he doesn't know much about teams in West Tennessee, so I'm sure West/Middle writers know little about East Tennessee basketball.

Is Greeneville a top 10 team? without a doubt. Number one? as even some of the greeneville faithful have pointed out on here, no. They have played two top five teams and lost both, one being a 30 point loss to WC.

Rankings don't matter now anyway. This isn't the BCS. Greeneville will (more than likely) have an opportunity to show what they can do against the best here in a couple of weeks. That's all you can ask for. They are by far the best team in Region 1, but as we've seen this season, that isn't saying much.

No reverse psychology here. Will depend on which teams show up.

I will agree with your assessment that neither team has scratched the surface of their talent level.

Trotter, PTS - what will it take for CC and East to get the most out of their talent level? Time? Coaching?

CC is young but having watched Newport Grammar play the last 3-4 seasons, most of those girls know how to play together and have never seemed to have a problem doing so.

East is a mix of seniors, freshman and some in between, not really any star players. Going 15 deep from the opening whistle can't help any cohesiveness or help players get in any kind of flow.

Well I'll agree with you in the fact that they have the AP voters fooled, but that wouldn't take much. PTS, being an AP voter, im sure will tell you he doesn't know much about teams in West Tennessee, so I'm sure West/Middle writers know little about East Tennessee basketball.

Is Greeneville a top 10 team? without a doubt. Number one? as even some of the greeneville faithful have pointed out on here, no. They have played two top five teams and lost both, one being a 30 point loss to WC.

Rankings don't matter now anyway. This isn't the BCS. Greeneville will (more than likely) have an opportunity to show what they can do against the best here in a couple of weeks. That's all you can ask for. They are by far the best team in Region 1, but as we've seen this season, that isn't saying much.

Don't be too fast to point out the 30 point loss. They didn't have any time to prepare for that team. Also it was earlier in the season and they really were not playing as good as they are now. Do I think they match up well with W.C.? No! However they did have time to prepare for a Cleveland team that was ranked number 9 in the USA today poll. In that game they went to two overtimes. They had the opportunity at the end of regulation and the first overtime to win the game. Their other loss was to a number 4 team in the USA today poll. They only lost to them by 10. They also had a chance to win the game but did not come out on top. Mt. Juliet lost to that same team in one of their first games. Greeneville has beeten a very talented Knoxville Webb team. The team and coaches had time to prepare for this game and it showed. They come away with a big victory. I think that game gave those girls the confidence to finish and win the big game. So if you look at how the AP votes you have to take into consideration that Greeneville has fared really well this year. I believe that they have earned the respect that they have gotten from the AP. The have played some of the great teams that all of the other top five have played. Cleveland beat Webb at the beginning of the year, Shelbyville also beat Webb at the beginning of the year. Mt. Juliet loses to a team that Greeneville loses too. Wilscon Central loses to Mt. Juliet. Mt. Juliet loses later in the year to W.C. So you can see that really any of the top 6 teams are capable of winning the big games. I think that it is pretty even from 1-6. All of this means nothing now. It is put up or shut up time for everyone. Region 1 may not be as strong as what people think it should but it by far is not the weekest in the state.

Good luck to all in the tourney. Congratulations to the Lady Devils for being the FIRST Lady Devil team to ever be ranked number one in the state.

I'm not sure how things really go in West/Middle TN with the voting, but there's a ton more media outlets voting on this side of the state. Its a flawed system, definitely. You hear college AP voters complaining they dont know how to rank PAC 10 teams because they play late at night, but at least those games are televised and highlights/scores are on ESPN. Maybe they should try voting on teams across a 500 mile wide state, with no television and an internet site being the best tool they have.

When I vote, I use the CoachT Strength+Success ratings and the W/L rankings on here. Is that entirely accurate? Probably not, but it beats randomly putting teams on my ballot or bumping up teams because they are from East TN.

These Polls are meaningless (besides fueling discussion and putting targets on teams backs), especially the AP Poll. Cosby (Who I didnt vote #1 until they made the top of the S+S ratings, and still was hesitant because of their schedule and the play out in West TN) went wire-to-wire as #1 in the AP Class A boys poll last year, made it to the Boro and took a 20-point thumping from Humboldt.

If you're one of the best teams, you'll get the chance to show it on the court, regardless of what a bunch of us stupid sportswriters think :thumb:

Edited by PTSportsWriter

Trotter, PTS - what will it take for CC and East to get the most out of their talent level? Time? Coaching?

CC is young but having watched Newport Grammar play the last 3-4 seasons, most of those girls know how to play together and have never seemed to have a problem doing so.

East is a mix of seniors, freshman and some in between, not really any star players. Going 15 deep from the opening whistle can't help any cohesiveness or help players get in any kind of flow.

i cant speak for cocke county other than to say, i've watched depew and buda the last few years and they are as solid of a foundations to build on as you could ask for .

East is really just coming into itself.....from the preseason posts no one really gave them a second thought yet they have competed in each game they've been in and had 2nd place in their grasp. The going 15 deep can be argued either way. you have seniors that have been loyal and you have freshman who can play as good as the upperclassmen (no win situation and wouldnt want to be in the coaches shoes in that situation). I'm not by any means writing off this post season but next year I will be interested in seeing how the freshmen after becoming comfortable w/ high school and the new systems show up not to mention the sophmores who are due.

i cant speak for cocke county other than to say, i've watched depew and buda the last few years and they are as solid of a foundations to build on as you could ask for .

East is really just coming into itself.....from the preseason posts no one really gave them a second thought yet they have competed in each game they've been in and had 2nd place in their grasp. The going 15 deep can be argued either way. you have seniors that have been loyal and you have freshman who can play as good as the upperclassmen (no win situation and wouldnt want to be in the coaches shoes in that situation). I'm not by any means writing off this post season but next year I will be interested in seeing how the freshmen after becoming comfortable w/ high school and the new systems show up not to mention the sophmores who are due.

Is there any truth to the rumor that both Morristown East and Cocke County coaches are done after this year?

Is there any truth to the rumor that both Morristown East and Cocke County coaches are done after this year?

if there is, my first question would be why....lets face it these teams have shared the bottom of the barrel for some time and now things are looking up or at least from what i've seen anyhow. i would like to know the thinking behind it. of course rumours are a way for some people to stay occupied.