I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

Hey trotter. Any thoughts on last evening.

yes, i thought that buda and depew's team mates stepped up and shouldered some of the weight, helped make some key plays and its my opinion that cocke county is on an upward swing w/ a good looking next couple of years. they worked hard and deserved the win. east missed alot of give me's in close but still should have utilized leeper and orrick more(would open the outside up more) which brings up shooting a pityful percentage from the field. also after picking on B/N all jokes aside, what about the collision going for the pass at just past mid-court that ended up a foul on east and was there a record set for jump balls called in one game(felt like elementary ball).

Edited by trottercoach

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yes, i thought that buda and depew's team mates stepped up and shouldered some of the weight, helped make some key plays and its my opinion that cocke county is on an upward swing w/ a good looking next couple of years. they worked hard and deserved the win. east missed alot of give me's in close but still should have utilized leeper and orrick more(would open the outside up more) which brings up shooting a pityful percentage from the field. also after picking on B/N all jokes aside, what about the collision going for the pass at just past mid-court that ended up a foul on east and was there a record set for jump balls called in one game(felt like elementary ball).

That foul was an iffy call. It probably should have been a no call. Both girls were playing the ball. The official that made the call did not have a good look from all angles. He probably thought that the Cocke County girl had position and the M.East girl delivered most of the blow. It could have went either way. I got bored with all the jump balls myself. Let the kids play. One good thing is we don't have to watch these officials for Friday nights games.....Morristown East could have used their posts a lot more. I think that Leeper should have stayed in the game for the fourth quarter.

I got there at halftime of the first game, but "heard" the collison on the radio. We had a similar call in the 2nd game, first foul of the game. I will say that the "tieups" seemd correctly called in the 2nd game. But on the radio, at least, it did sound like a lot of jump ball calls.

I was surprised at the call going against Holt, my experience is that 90% or more of those type fouls go against the defensive player, even if they got there first, which what happened in the 2nd game. We have seen that play happen several times in the last two weeks, and every time it goes against the defense, except this time.

I think it should've went against Lloyd or it was a no call.

As ray said, if they call that, it goes against the defense 90%+ of the time. But at the same time, two players going after the ball, how do you justify who to call it on?

Regardless, that may have woken East and Demika up. CC was on a 17-0 run, and Demika hit two three's right after that.

While I have a moment.

Congratulations to Courtney Lewis and Jerrica Lane. Those two girls stepped up their game to help their team.

Both hit big shots early on and Lewis had some big key offensive boards and putbacks.

Kudos to Suggs and Lloyd too. Alex didnt score a lot, but as one person said to me she creates cahos. She made several defensive plays and several hustle plays that dont really carry stats. Lloyd isnt going to score a lot, but she stepped up for Bryant and she's not afraid to beat and bang. Hats off to Bryant too. Shes struggled as of late, but she went out there sick as all get out and gave her team some minutes.

Cant say enough about Buda and Depew. Shannon was in pain after her injury. I didnt see what happened, but she came back. Morgan hit the biggest shot of the game with about 40 seconds to go on a jumper from the short corner.

Edited by PTSportsWriter

Cant say enough about Buda and Depew. Shannon was in pain after her injury. I didnt see what happened, but she came back. Morgan hit the biggest shot of the game with about 40 seconds to go on a jumper from the short corner.

I was amazed she took that shot. I thought she was going to pull it back out, and make East work a little. It really looks bad if it doesn't go in, because she was the only red shirt in the area. But it did go in.

One comment about tactics at the end. Take this with a grain of salt, and Trotter Coach, feel free to correct me if I don't give Orrick credit, but coming out of a timeout, down one, when you obviously need a stop, and have to deny the ball or play all over the half court on defense, why wouldn't you have a more moble girl on the court than Orrick? There were a couple of times late that no matter who she was guarding, if they went out high, she couldn't stay with them, and it gave Cocke County an outlet when they got in trouble.

Again, and this is going to look like backtracking, but I think Orrick is a very good player, and a presence inside, but I think in that situation, you needed someone a little quicker on the defense end of the court.

I was amazed she took that shot. I thought she was going to pull it back out, and make East work a little. It really looks bad if it doesn't go in, because she was the only red shirt in the area. But it did go in.

One comment about tactics at the end. Take this with a grain of salt, and Trotter Coach, feel free to correct me if I don't give Orrick credit, but coming out of a timeout, down one, when you obviously need a stop, and have to deny the ball or play all over the half court on defense, why wouldn't you have a more moble girl on the court than Orrick? There were a couple of times late that no matter who she was guarding, if they went out high, she couldn't stay with them, and it gave Cocke County an outlet when they got in trouble.

Again, and this is going to look like backtracking, but I think Orrick is a very good player, and a presence inside, but I think in that situation, you needed someone a little quicker on the defense end of the court.

ok opinions....depending on hit or miss...the shot buda took was either gutsy or bad judgement..my opinion is that she is a seasoned player who got it done in the clutch rather than playing into foul shot trade offs......on the other thing orrick is actually a very mobile/ even nimble athlete and I think that there could have been more potential scorers in the game at the end and actually played some offense /defense subbing near the end.....but again thats all just as you said back-tracking.

I’ll jump back in for a second.

I apologize for speaking of an official by name – he is a good friend. I will stay away from officiating. Though I think my point has some merit for future discussion. Another time.

What will it take for CCHS to defeat GHS when it matters tomorrow night?

Defensively. I am sure we will jump in and out of man (woman) to man (woman) and our zones. Our zones are very porous. In our first games against GHS, Dickson just went off on uncontested mid-range jump shots against our zones. Furthermore, backside rebounding is poor out of the zone. It has not changed all year. However, we can collapse the lane and force shots outside. In the second game, we were better at it, and GHS did not put us away until the second half when their guards made some 3’s. Our man (woman) is our best defensive. That would match up Depew on Dickson, (which in middle school was a great battle) and put Bryant/Lloyd on Deans (I don’t think that favors us at all!). But that will create much more foul problems for us and, at this point in time, we have to have Depew on the floor. We rebound much better out of our man defensive. In the second game, Budha and Suggs both created a little bit of havoc against their guards. We will have to have much more of that to get points of turnovers and our guards have to help deny entry passes to Deans. Our posts (Bryant/Lloyd) much keep the ball away from Deans. Then we must hope that Dickson does not make everything and their guards who will get open looks miss. Still a very tall order for us. It does not appear to me, that GHS is as dominant offense like they are on defensive. They rely lots on the set offensive and have players that can make plays. B/c of their defensive, we must match their intensity on defense and keep the score in the low 40’s or even upper 30’s b/c I don’t think we can score 45 or more against them. Actually, maybe not 40.

Offensively. We have scored exactly 61 points against GHS in two games. In reality, it is worse. In the 1st game, GHS emptied their bench in the 4th quarter. We had only scored 24 points at the time. We scored 7 points in the last couple of minutes. In the second game, we played well enough to keep their starters in the game until the last minute, but we only scored 30 points. Against GHS, we will not be able to play one on one basketball that we often digress to when we play against a tough man (woman) defense. Depew will be doubled. Our offensive has improved to the point, that we can score 1 or 2 times a game out of set pieces (screens or picks, back screens). We must do more. The game will be over quickly if we cannot penetrate, if we settle for 3’s every other time down the court and if we force Depew to be the offensive. My fear is that we could match West at 14 points.

Intangibles. To GHS, this is just another game on the road to the State. They have played in many “big” games. It is like watching good teams get excited about playing the Lady Vols. The good teams have no idea what to expect and the Lady Vols just go play. I expect GHS to just go play b/c they have had many big games. State tournament experience. Playing the ranked teams it the mid-state this year. Beating Webb – the no1 rank D-II team. Beating SH at SH near the end of the year. Playing Lex Cath, from KY. I am from KY and Lex Cath has dominated KY girls basketball for the past five years. They are the reigning state champ (there is only 1 state champ in KY) and are nationally ranked. My point is players and coaches at GHS have played in big games. We, as CCHS, both players and coaches, have not. (Now Budha and Depew have played in National AAU semi-final games – I think that is big but we as a team have not).

Having said that, there are 5 freshman and sophomores who have played GMS in scrimmages the past two years with no posted scores and believe in their hearts of hearts they won then and that they can win now. I don’t know if the seniors and the coaches believe it. The only thing that I can count on, is that we will play hard. I just hope that we play smart.

For CCHS, and these freshman especially, it is a big game – a program defining game. It is time to move past the excitement of us just winning a game. A win would put us in the same breath as GHS, Tenn, SH and DB in our region for the next couple of years. It would give our 4 seniors a massive sendoff for their efforts (again, remember, we have won more games this year (17) than in the last 3 combined (13).). The challenge is as big as it gets for us – the no 1 team in the state during tournament time on our court. You cannot ask for a better opportunity. And in life, as in sport, that is all you can ask for – an opportunity. We played GHS last year in the same game – semi of the district. GHS won by 30 in a game that was not that close. It is time to see where we stand.

By the way, congrats to Jeff Co. The last time I saw Jeff they looked lost and they looked like they were brickering among each other. Losing as much as they had down the stretch plus the way Cherokee just beats us, I thought Cherokee would win. I watch more than a quarter last night and that was not the same Jeff team I had seen. Well done. I was surprised by West's defeat of East last week - they have not won much lately either so I am not sure how to pick. But Jeff did look good last night.

I would like to see these games. But I will be in Charlotte for the weekend with my oldest son as he and the Transylvania University swim team compete at the Mecklenburg County Aquatic Center Complex in the Bluegrass Mountain Conference Championships (NCAA D-III schools). He and the Transy boys will be dueling Washington and Lee and 10 other schools for supremacy. He wants a sub-53 second in the 100 fly and sub 2.10 in the 200 fly.

So, go Transy Pioneers and CCHS Lady Red. Good luck to all teams. Have a safe and great weekend.