I-MAC

PTSportsWriter

One last optimistic thought for the girls at Cherokee.

Nice run at the end of the year. With no seniors on this year's team, everyone returns next year. Maybe, with strong senior leadership next year, they can get a better start out of the gates and good things will happen.

And as a footnote....Rogersville City School will be competing this afternoon for the TMSAA championship again. The same championship RCS won in 2004, and Newport Grammar won in 2006. Of course Greenville has also won several large school division TMSAA championships over the last few years.

The RCS team will be graduating a 6' post player that should be able to contribute immediately at Cherokee and will be a nice addition to a senior led group of girls.

Good luck to all the IMAC teams .... we're off to softball.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

PTS, I think it becomes moot the moment she catches the ball. With .3 seconds, all you can do is tap it. If you catch it, the game is over, no matter whether the clock starts on time or not.

"Theres a lot at stake in the consolation round, perhaps? I think the preferred result is to go to Science Hill and not TN High for either team."

I would NOT assume that Tenn High and Science Hill make it to the District 1 championship game. Daniel Boone looks like they are on a roll, so there might be upsets there tonight. They were a preseason favorite to contend, if I recall correctly.

Buc, want to share your opinions on that?

It was a good no-call. Dont want the officials to decide the outcome.

The only team in America that may get the call would be Duke :unsure:

Lets hope that SH and TN High lose tonight and SH beats TN High in the consolation, maybe making way for an all IMAC night at Sullivan South a week from Monday :unsure:

"Theres a lot at stake in the consolation round, perhaps? I think the preferred result is to go to Science Hill and not TN High for either team."

I would NOT assume that Tenn High and Science Hill make it to the District 1 championship game. Daniel Boone looks like they are on a roll, so there might be upsets there tonight. They were a preseason favorite to contend, if I recall correctly.

Buc, want to share your opinions on that?

Yep Ray, preseason they were picked to tie for 2nd with TN High. Led Science Hill once and TN High twice, all by double digits, before falling down the stretch. They have been up and down all season, but have really come on in the tournament. Maybe they're not ready to quit after all. Tonight may tell the tale. Science Hill has seemed to have Boone's number, ever since summer league. If they can fight past them tonight, then I'll say they're reaching their potential.

As for first round regional games, Viking Hall is a tough place to win, but I'm not sure I would want to go to the Topper Palace, or "the Oven", as I like to call it. Big hostile crowd, at least 95 degree temperatures, and they seem to get every call at home. They have stumbled a little the last week or so, but they absolutely routed Volunteer in the tournament, so I don't know.

As for TN High, I don't know how they beat everybody up here. They never look that great, but their guards always carry them to the win somehow. A couple of strong posts should eat them alive, but you have to watch Montgomery and Jones.I don't guess I need to tell you guys, though, since the IMAC has had no problem with them so far.

Edited by bucdaddio

Picks tonight.

Jeff Co vs West

First one to 30 wins. IF they get to 30. I think Jeff will get it.

West won just last month, but I like the way Jeff played on Wednesday.

If Nelson can have another big night and they can get Elliott to score 10+ I dont see where West can find the offense. I'm sure the only offense they'll have will be Jones/Cross and a little of Thayer inside.

What was the scoring breakdown for Jeff last night? Did they just not get it done or was M West up for the challenge?

Greeneville vs Cocke County

Cocke County kept it close at GHS last time out, and they'll have a home court advantage tonight with a huge crowd expected.

But, games are won on the court. Depew vs Deans or Dickson should be an even match-up. But, she cant take them both on and she'll need help from Bryant on the other one.

If Greeneville's guards are hitting, expect the same type of result of the first two games, because I dont see many ways that the Lady Red score more a lot against the Greeneville defense (they may be the only team to hold Depew/Buda to under 10 points apiece in their games), unless they are stroking it from the outside.

Picks tonight.

Jeff Co vs West

First one to 30 wins. IF they get to 30. I think Jeff will get it.

West won just last month, but I like the way Jeff played on Wednesday.

If Nelson can have another big night and they can get Elliott to score 10+ I dont see where West can find the offense. I'm sure the only offense they'll have will be Jones/Cross and a little of Thayer inside.

Greeneville vs Cocke County

Cocke County kept it close at GHS last time out, and they'll have a home court advantage tonight with a huge crowd expected.

But, games are won on the court. Depew vs Deans or Dickson should be an even match-up. But, she cant take them both on and she'll need help from Bryant on the other one.

If Greeneville's guards are hitting, expect the same type of result of the first two games, because I dont see many ways that the Lady Red score more a lot against the Greeneville defense (they may be the only team to hold Depew/Buda to under 10 points apiece in their games), unless they are stroking it from the outside.

What was the breakdown on scoring last night for Jeff Co? Did Jeff just not get it done or was M West on their game?

hey dz! looking back about a 100 pages ago in this thread i posted something that enables me to say this I TOLD YOU SO!

sorry couldnt resist that !

im proud of all the girls on the lady red and im not a newport guy . although i told morgans dad last night i like the people there so much im going to apply for citizenship :unsure:

now i want to say this!

i know how hard the girls took the loss shannon depew and morgan buda are warriors! i wouldnt expect anything else!

girls you have such a bright future ahead of you...i know by the time i write this youll allready be focusing on the next game!

you have the support of your familys your community your coaches.......life is good! enjoy this time! and to shannon you overcame alot tonight dont let a few moments in the game linger in your memory(ill come sing to ya if i dont see that smile again and neither one of us would want that!)

I don't remember what I said, but I'm sure i was going on watching them play early in the season, and it wasn't very impressive. I came back and congratulated them before you could say i told you so....so :unsure:

One last optimistic thought for the girls at Cherokee.

Nice run at the end of the year. With no seniors on this year's team, everyone returns next year. Maybe, with strong senior leadership next year, they can get a better start out of the gates and good things will happen.

And as a footnote....Rogersville City School will be competing this afternoon for the TMSAA championship again. The same championship RCS won in 2004, and Newport Grammar won in 2006. Of course Greenville has also won several large school division TMSAA championships over the last few years.

The RCS team will be graduating a 6' post player that should be able to contribute immediately at Cherokee and will be a nice addition to a senior led group of girls.

Good luck to all the IMAC teams .... we're off to softball.

You are right statman. I watched Casey Ryans play a half dozen times this year and she already has some skills that should make her a contributor next year. If I remember correctly, RC had a decent point guard or two, one of them being Price I think.

Lady Devils Escape Ambush, Edge Cocke County

By EUAL SHELTON

Sports Writer

NEWPORT — Number-one seed Greeneville escaped an upset of major proportions in the the semifinal round of the District 2-AAA tournament at Cocke County Friday night.

Perhaps using the Lady Devils’ lofty No. 1-state ranking for motivation, the Cocke County girls, propelled by the sensational play of point guard Morgan Buda, carried the fight to the Lady Devils through most of three quarters before dropping a 45-44 decision.

Greeneville, 27-3 and riding a 15-game winning streak, advances to Monday night’s championship round against Morristown West, a 56-46 winner over Jefferson County in the first semifinal contest of the evening.

The Greeneville (29-2) boys will see tournament play for the first time this evening at 7:30 when they take on Morristown East (11-15) in the semifinal round.

Morristown West (11-15) will go up against Cherokee (15-12) in the 6:00 contest.

The win by the Lady Devils Friday night was big in that it ensures that they will get to return to the friendly confines of Hal Henard gym for the first round of the Region 1 tournament Friday, February 23, at 7:00.

The Lady Red carried the fight to the heavily favored Lady Devils throughout the opening half with the quick moving 5-6 Buda leading the attack and went to the intermission break holding a 24-20 lead.

Greeneville’s inside combination of Ashley Deans and Nicole Dickson scored only seven points between them in the first two quarters as the Cocke County zone defense effectively kept the Lady Devils inside combination from getting the ball at their favorite scoring positions.

Devan McInyre scored eight in the opening half that included a pair of 3-pointers to keep Greeneville within striking distance.

Greeneville eliminated the turnovers in the third that plagued them throughout the opening half and had more intensity in running their offensive sets.

Dickson scored seven in the period with Deans adding six for all the Lady Devils points, and the defense shut down everyone for CCHS except Buda, who scored seven for the Lady Red.

GHS gained a 33-31 edge on a pair of free throws by Dickson just before the quarter ended.

Deans scored the first basket to begin the final period and seconds later McIntyre added a pair of free throws for a six point (37-31) cushion for the Lady Devils with 6:18 remaining in the contest.

After Shannon DePew and Buda scored for the Lady Red, Greeneville’s Rachel Collins got a pair of baskets off good assists from Dickson and the Lady Devils were in control of a 42-37 lead with 3:55 remaining.

A Greeneville turnover led to a run-out basket by Buda but the Lady Devils’ McIntyre nailed a 3-pointer to give GHS a 45-41 edge with 1:49 remaining.

Buda would not throw in the towell, firing in a 3-pointer with 1:05 left to cut the margin to 45-44.

Greeneville had the opportunity to put the game out of reach twice in the final minute after being fouled while running their spread offense in an attempt to run out the clock or make CCHS foul for possession.

Dickson missed twice at the line with 46.7 seconds left but Cocke County missed a field goal attempt and the Lady Reds’ DePew missed at the line with GHS controlling the rebound.

Whitney Carter was fouled with 9.8 seconds but GHS was unable to cash in at the line and Cocke County got off another shot, but this time Buda came up short of the mark and the Lady Devils escaped the upset.

Greeneville scoring was spread equally over three players with McIntyre leading with 13 that included three 3-pointers, Dickson adding 12 to go with eight rebounds, seven of those the second half, and Deans netting 11and four boards.

The super quick Buda came up with 22 points for the game, hitting on nine of 10 from the floor that included two 3-pointers and two of two at the line and snared five rebounds and ran the offense for 17-11 Cocke County.

Cocke County (44): Suggs 1-2 2-2 3, Morgan Buda 9-10 2-2 22, Lane 2-7 0-0 5, Courtney Lewis 4-11 2-3 11, DePew 1-3 1-4 3, Bryant 0-3 0-0 0.Totals 17-36 6-8 44.

Greeneville (45): Ashley Deans 3-7 5-6 11, Nicole Dickson 4-11 3-6 12, Carter 0-3 0-2 0, Lamons 1-3 0-0 3, Devan McIntyre 3-6 4-4 13, Collins 2-4 2-2 6. 13-44 14-20 45.

3-Point Goals: CCHS Buda 2, Lane, Lamons. GHS (5) McIntyre 3, Dickson, Lamons.

Score by Quarter: CCHS 6 18 7 13--44 GHS 10 10 13 12--45

Edited by PTSportsWriter