Positive messages to William Blount Coaches

theDL

MLREB... I agree with you. Things at WB are really starting to turn around, it's apparent in the mentality of the team as well as our play over the last couple of seasons. If Darren wouldn't have gotten injured against Farragut, who knows where we would be now. Next year looks bright for WB (and not just because I'm going to be playing :thumb: ). The pieces are starting to come together, and I look for us to make an even deeper run next year, hopefully to the 'Boro.

Good luck next year TG and I hope you get #24 so you can keep you name on CoachT. I just hope you're not a Jeff Gordon fan. :)

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

general perception:

Maryville--class (can't describe it, but you know it when you see it), and I'm not even talking about the scoreboard. It's not a coincidence that they win. It's not luck. They have a "class thing" going on over there, from academics, athletics, to great leaders. It feeds off itself. In every aspect of the school / community, they strive to be winners. All the scoreboard does is remind everybody that they got it going on. If a school hates Maryville and what it stands for, then that particular school has some severe disfunction. If I am starting a new football program and / or school, Maryville High School is the first place that I'm going to see what they are doing. Us East Tennesseeans should embrace the unbelievable run that the Rebels are on. Why wouldn't a parent want their kid to be a part of all of that?

general perception:

Maryville--class (can't describe it, but you know it when you see it), and I'm not even talking about the scoreboard. It's not a coincidence that they win. It's not luck. They have a "class thing" going on over there, from academics, athletics, to great leaders. It feeds off itself. In every aspect of the school / community, they strive to be winners. All the scoreboard does is remind everybody that they got it going on. If a school hates Maryville and what it stands for, then that particular school has some severe disfunction. If I am starting a new football program and / or school, Maryville High School is the first place that I'm going to see what they are doing. Us East Tennesseeans should embrace the unbelievable run that the Rebels are on. Why wouldn't a parent want their kid to be a part of all of that?

Where did you come from?????

You Sir have hit the nail on the head, kicked the game winning field goal from 50 yards, hit the walk off home run, and get my high five!

I wish I had said that as well as you have.

As far as football goes, I agree when WB finally wakes up and get's rid of the ole' wang -T and finds a balanced offence they can win big. They were real close this year. I knew Ooltewah would not get it done; they were not really that good. Had WB had a few breaks in that game the region would have looked much different? I still can't understand why WB folded the tents vs. Farragut? WB is very close but there focus, starting from the head coach down needs to change to get over the hump. Blame yourself for your lot, for you are the ones who put you there and worrying about what kids leave to go to other schools can't be a concern. Win with what you have, because many of us know you can.

YOu crack me up :thumb:

Where did you come from?????

You Sir have hit the nail on the head, kicked the game winning field goal from 50 yards, hit the walk off home run, and get my high five!

I wish I had said that as well as you have.

As far as football goes, I agree when WB finally wakes up and get's rid of the ole' wang -T and finds a balanced offence they can win big. They were real close this year. I knew Ooltewah would not get it done; they were not really that good. Had WB had a few breaks in that game the region would have looked much different? I still can't understand why WB folded the tents vs. Farragut? WB is very close but there focus, starting from the head coach down needs to change to get over the hump. Blame yourself for your lot, for you are the ones who put you there and worrying about what kids leave to go to other schools can't be a concern. Win with what you have, because many of us know you can.

OK I know Maryville has a great team, great class, great coaches, great leaders(although one leader was arrested for theft) and all of that. Why will no one answer my question? What Maryville starters live outside the city and what starters moved in from another school to play High School football?

I hope you get the answer. But why do you ask about families that have MOVED into the city? I understand concern about tution students but not those that have bought/built inside the city.

OK I know Maryville has a great team, great class, great coaches, great leaders(although one leader was arrested for theft) and all of that. Why will no one answer my question? What Maryville starters live outside the city and what starters moved in from another school to play High School football?

We have a couple of guys that we only fly in for games. STARSNBARS found them on a garbage hauling/recruiting trip.

Now in keeping with the original intent of this thread here is my positive message to the WB coaches: I really like the "Virgina" uniforms. I hated the "Gators" uniforms just because they looked like Gators.

If you are going to talk about Maryville recruiting or something else on this thread try to put in a little positve note to the WB coaches who I am sure are all reading this thread.

Edited by Red Rebels

I'm not really concerned about tuition students or people who move in the Maryville city limits, I'm just interested in how many of their starters come from people wanting to play at Maryville. Most of the top programs have students who move to the area for mainly athletic purposes. Tuition students and students who move are legal, I'm not questioning that. I'm just interested in how these students improve their team. For example are 11 starters from this group? So 50% could be playing for another team. Just interested in how this effects the teams they play like WB.

I have no idea how many players are tuition students nor do I care. Maryville is winning right now because they have the best coaching staff in the state. A tuition student or 2 may help but the main reason Maryville is winning is the coaching staff. Maryville was getting tuition students in 1989,1990,1993 and it didn't do them any good as those teams went 5-5. Maryville went 20 years without a championship. Those teams had tuition students.

When a team is winning big it will attract players. Landon Hall and his family moved in from Louisianna 4 years ago. Tim Rodrigues and his family moved in from Virginia last summer. Ryan Brinkman and his family moved in from Florida before Ryan's senior year. Steven Childs and his family moved in from Smyrna during Childs junior season. Aaron Douglas,Brent Burnett and Tyler Clendenen moved in from Knoxville before their freshmen year. Actually Clendenen moved in before his sophomore year. He had to sit out last season.

At the same time Maryville has lost kids. The Sakoian boys were big time studs in youth league football. Their older brother played on Maryville's 1998 title team.Their family moved to Pennsylvania. Maryville lost TJ Brock after his junior year. There was two kids in Cade Thompson's class that dominated as freshman. I forgot one of thems name but the guy was a stud.He moved away. The other one was Kelby Crain. He went to William Blount as a junior then moved to Florida. Kenneth Click was another player who left Maryville. He was a good player at Heritage.

I'm not really concerned about tuition students or people who move in the Maryville city limits, I'm just interested in how many of their starters come from people wanting to play at Maryville. Most of the top programs have students who move to the area for mainly athletic purposes. Tuition students and students who move are legal, I'm not questioning that. I'm just interested in how these students improve their team. For example are 11 starters from this group? So 50% could be playing for another team. Just interested in how this effects the teams they play like WB.

inthezone,

It's a valid question and it's hard to quantify. Yes there are at least 3 or 4 I know that "could" have gone to William Blount if their families had chosen to. There are 2 or 3 that could be Mountaineers if they had wanted to go to Heritage. There may well be a greater number than I am aware of. But none of these, to my knowledge, have done anything illegal or unethical. They simply chose to attend a great school with the best football program around; with great academic opportunities; and with an incredible group of men coaching. When a school is fortunate enough to be in an "open zone", that is a luxury they have.

Could the 6 or 7 players that come to mind help WB or Heritage? Without a doubt. Would their absence have kept Maryville from accomplishing what they've accomplished? I doubt it. Normally, Maryville's second stringers are as good--or better--than a lot of other team's first stringers. It might have evened the playing field some, but not overwhelmingly, at least in my opinion.

It's a challenge we, that support the county schools, must face. I believe the situation have improved for WB. It's getting better.

If I had a kid who could really play, and play at the next level, I would move into the city to get him to play for GQ. Why not? The school does other things well besides Football.

I did move into the city to make sure my youngest could go to Maryville when he became HS age. He played for Maryville and was one of the good ones. He also played for one of the youth club teams that fed kids into the WB system and after that experience and looking at the then coaching staff there, there was little to talk about where he should go. One of his miget coaches told him "He Hated Maryville"! while my older son was playing for Maryville at the time! I found out about it at the end of the season because my son said his playing time would be cut simply because his older brother was playing for Maryville if I had confronted him about the statement. Real clown that guy.

There have been many problems around the WB program over the years and they maybe might be finally working them out, but it will take a few years to clean out the hater gene pool down there IMO.

I wish WB luck because the vast majority of people over there are fine people and the kids of the county deserve better support.

inthezone,

It's a valid question and it's hard to quantify. Yes there are at least 3 or 4 I know that "could" have gone to William Blount if their families had chosen to. There are 2 or 3 that could be Mountaineers if they had wanted to go to Heritage. There may well be a greater number than I am aware of. But none of these, to my knowledge, have done anything illegal or unethical. They simply chose to attend a great school with the best football program around; with great academic opportunities; and with an incredible group of men coaching. When a school is fortunate enough to be in an "open zone", that is a luxury they have.

Could the 6 or 7 players that come to mind help WB or Heritage? Without a doubt. Would their absence have kept Maryville from accomplishing what they've accomplished? I doubt it. Normally, Maryville's second stringers are as good--or better--than a lot of other team's first stringers. It might have evened the playing field some, but not overwhelmingly, at least in my opinion.

It's a challenge we, that support the county schools, must face. I believe the situation have improved for WB. It's getting better.

Ok at least 5 starters from Maryville should be at a county school, they have 3 that moved in that is 8 of 22. So the county loses 5 to Maryville, how about Alcoa do they have 5 county kids starting?

Govman I would disagree with one statement, 2 or 3 players can make a difference in winning a championship. It might not make a difference in Maryville beating WB.