Split

Hawse40

Well, it's official. In the 2 multiplier years the publics have won 5 state championships and the privates 1. That is exactly the same ratio as the number of public schools to private schools in DI. Not only that but the only close game of the 5 public wins has been this year's 3a...the rest were clobbers. And the only private win has been a private vs. private 1a game. Seems the people screaming and crying about the privates' "domination" might have to rethink...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it's official. In the 2 multiplier years the publics have won 5 state championships and the privates 1. That is exactly the same ratio as the number of public schools to private schools in DI. Not only that but the only close game of the 5 public wins has been this year's 3a...the rest were clobbers. And the only private win has been a private vs. private 1a game. Seems the people screaming and crying about the privates' "domination" might have to rethink...

Rethink? You mean they were thinking in the first place?

Rethink? You mean they were thinking in the first place?

Have you noticed none of them have been posting today VG? I guess crow is tough enough that you have to chew it a while...

Mark my words, they will come back on in a day or 2 with some new reason why privates are dominating. First it was championships, but that is gone. Now it will be...*drumroll*...something that is unfair and everyone knows it..dang it!

I think its more of a problem in 1a, most 1a schools are rural, when you move up to the bigger schools, they tend to have better atheletes and several more students to draw from. I actually think the private schools did outstandind in 2a and 3a, for the amount of schools in those divisions with a 1.8 multiplier. They beat alot of public schools with alot bigger enrollment just to get to the state. I even think CPA was the third best team in 2a. Not so bad.

I believe there is a movement behind the scenes

to create a vote for a total split. Public and

non-public schools. You may be surprised who

supports this movement if it comes to a vote.

No matter what you read on these boards, the

number of private schools in the playoffs made

a lasting impression on coaches and administrators.

I believe there is a movement behind the scenes

to create a vote for a total split. Public and

non-public schools. You may be surprised who

supports this movement if it comes to a vote.

No matter what you read on these boards, the

number of private schools in the playoffs made

a lasting impression on coaches and administrators.

These are some serious questions: Does the TSSAA and its member schools have enough money to fight a total split? Do they even have enough money to pay off Brentwood Academy? I have heard that many of the D2 schools would like to see a today split so that they have less trouble with schedules and travel, what do you know about this? Which group would the National Federation align themselves with? Is it true that the National Federation will on accept membership from one association in each state? With the financial situation that the TSSAA is in could they make it without the private schools?

I know that is a ton of questions but they are questions that must me answered before the ball starts to roll for a total split.

A split would certainly benefit schools like David Brainerd in Chattanooga, that had to join Division I due to travel concerns in Division II. They have probably 125 students in 9-12 and could have been playing in the A class of a three-class Division II, before it was changed to two classes due to a lack of teams. Like I said in another post, I also think current non-TSSAA teams would consider joining if they could be assured of avoiding the likes of Brentwood Academy and McCallie. These would probably be nearly all basketball programs, but I'd think some would try and start soccer, baseball and softball if they don't already have them in some form.

I believe there will be a movement within the TSSAA to

vote for a split. The members will vote. If the members

vote for a split, then there will be no fight.

The NFHS is presently aligned with both classifications,

D1 and D2 in Tennessee. My perception is that would

continue to be the same association.

This is all conjecture, but I also would project that very

few privates would be willing to leave the TSSAA and

form their own association.

The members of the TSSAA decide what is going to happen.

They key factor is getting the issue to a vote. I believe

that people who have studied the bylaws know how to

bring the issue to a vote.

These are some serious questions: Does the TSSAA and its member schools have enough money to fight a total split? Do they even have enough money to pay off Brentwood Academy? I have heard that many of the D2 schools would like to see a today split so that they have less trouble with schedules and travel, what do you know about this? Which group would the National Federation align themselves with? Is it true that the National Federation will on accept membership from one association in each state? With the financial situation that the TSSAA is in could they make it without the private schools?

I know that is a ton of questions but they are questions that must me answered before the ball starts to roll for a total split.

I believe there will be a movement within the TSSAA to

vote for a split. The members will vote. If the members

vote for a split, then there will be no fight.

For the life of me, I don't understand why publics and privates would not want to form another association or change the leadership of the current T$$AA.

The T$$AA is alway concerned about what is best for them not for the schools or the kids that play.

I don't see where a split will solve any of the so called problems with the system. There will be other teams having a chance at a Gold Football. What about other sports? No one seems to care about privates vs publics in any sport but football.

I don't see where a split will solve any of the so called problems with the system. There will be other teams having a chance at a Gold Football. What about other sports? No one seems to care about privates vs publics in any sport but football.

Yes, they do. Soccer is probably the #2 sport behind football that is being pushed for a split. They just don't talk about it much on this thread. The multiplier didn't affect anything in soccer, since soccer is a combined A/AA, the privates went from the A in the A/AA to the AA. Also, two private schools went from D2 back to D1 (Catholic and Notre Dame). Both did very well in both guys and girls seasons.

If the members vote for a split, then there will be no fight.

I disagree completely. If a split is voted for, I would guess it would be along "party" lines. At that point, the privates would commence a large legal campaign using the BA vs. TSSAA state actor rulings.

If the privates are voted to be competely split out from the publics AND they don't commence a legal blitzkrieg ... why would the privates want to have TSSAA public school oversite at that point? They would move on and form their own governing group. But that won't happen because they will sue to be included.

Much agreed.

It can be brought to a vote easily ... they real issue is dealing with the legal proceedings that will follow. Just like BA vs. TSSAA, the privates would sue using it as a precedent. It might get real ugly for the TSSAA at that point.