Split

Hawse40

False!

The kicker was in wrestling, not football.

A few private schools either did not know

the rules or simply failed to follow them.

It was the last straw -- for the privates,

who as you mentioned, saw the writing

on the wall.

There isn't a single instance of where a current D2 private was caught or accused of allow scholarship athletes beyond the quota play pre-D2. Anything to the contrary is rumor and innuendo.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is a different way for the vote to happen.

I believe what you are referring to was a non-binding

vote that "polled" the schools.

If my memory is correct, and that is questionable, there was a vote by member schools to make a total split several years ago. Maybe 5-8 years ago. I think it was about a 3 to 1 vote for making the split. The TSSAA voted 4-3 to not make the total split. Sorry I do not remember all the details. Maybe someone can fill in the blanks.

Disagree. There was problems deep and wide.

The number of athletes participating in athletics

who were on financial aid was greatly disputed.

These are two separate arguments:

1) Should a school provide financial aid (yes, it's a scholarship, get real).

2) Should a school limit their financial aid to meet TSSAA requirements?

Personally, I am against limiting financial aid. I went to a private

high school, and the experience was enriched for everyone through

financial aid. I wasn't on financial aid, but we all benefited from

the funding.

I do not believe that any kid should be treated differently if

he is on financial aid. I believe that is morally wrong. You

are making the kid feel like a second-class citizen by

singling him or her out.

There was never a problem with the athletes on financial aid (scholarships are illegal). There was a controversy about BA and McCallie was punished for wrestling an illegal wrestler (it was pretty well proven he was recieving money above and beyond financial aid) and lost their team wrestling title.

Note that none of this involves the DI privates...they stayed because they give little or no financial aid...which brings us back to the 'they don't have the funds' argument.

Here is something for you to think about. Yes the publics outnumber privates 5 to 1, but 4 of the six finalists were private. Tha % is a LITTLE higher than 5 to 1. You can really throw out 3A since Lipscomb is the only private school there, so 3 out of 4 were private against a 5 to 1 set-up. I am pretty sure that is what the problem is.

Yet only one private won a state championship out of the five in Division 1 - and that was probably only because they played another private. I find it hard to justify any statement that the privates dominated anything. Quite to the contrary, the privates were dominated by the publics in championship play.

Yet only one private won a state championship out of the five in Division 1 - and that was probably only because they played another private. I find it hard to justify any statement that the privates dominated anything. Quite to the contrary, the privates were dominated by the publics in championship play.

You don't seem to want to see the truth, look at it like this, How many Private schools are there in 1a,2a and 3a. 4 teams were in the final 4. Thats pretty dominating. 4a and 5a don't have any private schools. I also wonder where you would rank Knox Cath and CPA in their classes. Private schools looked pretty good to me.

Edited by pujo

Yeah, but what about USJ, CAK, and FRA?

USJ's being multiplied to 2A coincided with what is likely the biggest dip in football talent in the history of the school, even though their enrollment as at an all time high. Just goes how cyclical these things are. Yes, CPA and GP are enjoying success, but USJ, Boyd, and DCA all seem to be in the middle of talent dips. What's more, unlike a public school, these private schools have ZERO guaranteed enrollment (i.e. zones). The writing on the wall now says USJ will be going to DII in 2009, and I imagine they won't be the only ones.

You don't seem to want to see the truth, look at it like this, How many Private schools are there in 1a,2a and 3a. 4 teams were in the final 4. Thats pretty dominating. 4a and 5a don't have any private schools. I also wonder where you would rank Knox Cath and CPA in their classes. Private schools looked pretty good to me.

You are referring to just one year. Statistically, that means nothing. You have to look at several years and if in doing so you find that consistently there are a disproportionate number of privates in the championships, THEN you have a valid point.

So what do the numbers look like for the past 5 or 10 years?

You are referring to just one year. Statistically, that means nothing. You have to look at several years and if in doing so you find that consistently there are a disproportionate number of privates in the championships, THEN you have a valid point.

So what do the numbers look like for the past 5 or 10 years?

Didn't have a multiplier until last season, and before that private schools were winning 1a every year, they usually had the second best team also. I think time has proven the point.

Didn't have a multiplier until last season, and before that private schools were winning 1a every year, they usually had the second best team also. I think time has proven the point.

Pujo,

You are wrong...and statistically you are very wrong about the results since the multiplier. 1 in 6 is exactly the right ratio. And the publics in 2a have had the 2 best teams in the state both years...it is just that they were both in the East both times.

1 in 6 is not domination, it is what we would expect.

False!

The kicker was in wrestling, not football.

A few private schools either did not know

the rules or simply failed to follow them.

It was the last straw -- for the privates,

who as you mentioned, saw the writing

on the wall.

McCallie was placing wrestlers in North Georgia high schools to get them more experience. I don't remember the exact details but I'm sure they could be found easily. They had many more football players on aid participating than what was allowed at the time.

Pujo,

You are wrong...and statistically you are very wrong about the results since the multiplier. 1 in 6 is exactly the right ratio. And the publics in 2a have had the 2 best teams in the state both years...it is just that they were both in the East both times.

1 in 6 is not domination, it is what we would expect.

How about 4 of 6 in the finals,is that about what should happen, sorry but you are the one thats wrong. Have you checked out 1a over the past 7 years.

Yeah, but what about USJ, CAK, and FRA?

USJ's being multiplied to 2A coincided with what is likely the biggest dip in football talent in the history of the school, even though their enrollment as at an all time high. Just goes how cyclical these things are. Yes, CPA and GP are enjoying success, but USJ, Boyd, and DCA all seem to be in the middle of talent dips. What's more, unlike a public school, these private schools have ZERO guaranteed enrollment (i.e. zones). The writing on the wall now says USJ will be going to DII in 2009, and I imagine they won't be the only ones.

Kublah...Why on earth would USJ want to go to Div. II? Please answer.