Question for 1A fans that want a split

Those 7 in football are as many as Boyd's former 1A and current 2A opponents from the valley have managed this decade, off the top of my head:

Bledsoe: none

Sequatchie: Three: 1 at 1-AA UT-Martin, 1 at Division III Maryville, 1 at NAIA Cumberland

Whitwell: One: 1 at 1-AA UT-Chattanooga (lasted a week or two)

Marion: Two: 1 at 1-AA Jacksonville State, 1 NAIA (didn't last)

South Pittsburg: One: 1 at 1-AA Tennessee Tech.

Maybe there's more but I don't recall any more. That's about 2,300 students vs about 350, in any given year, which student body is producing more?

This is a debate you can't win Indian. All I have to do is mention the public you left out and you and I both know the stats move to the small publics. Factor in the graduation rates and the rates of kids eligible to get college scholarships and you guys have us KILLED in actual athletes on the field.

Here goes...Tyner.

Now the graduation rates...less than 50% for the 1a and 2a publics we have played vs 98% for us. And the % of students who graduate who actually go to college the year after highschool (like players who would be eligible for athletic scholarships)...again 50% or so for the pubs vs 95% or so for us. So about one fourth of the kids that are good enough for scholarships are actually gonna take them in the small publics we play... 9 out of 10 of ours will.

So...immediately the figures change to something like 7 for us, 12 for Sequatchie, 4 for Whitwell, 8 for Marion, and 12( more than 1 has gone from S. Pitt since 96 lol...you and I both know that, we'll conservatively say 3) for South Pitt. Add Tyner (what 10,15???) and we have 40 or 50 more.

So let's see, in the last 10 years (our most successful in our history!) Sequatchie has fielded almost double our college level athletes (not their best 10 years in history), Whitwell has fielded 4 by your count (although I am thinking they have had at least 3 kids go to small schools in the last 10 years which would even them up with Sequatchie), Marion has fielded 8(probably the worst 10 years in their Football history and again assuming they have only had 2 go in 10 years), And South Pitt has had at least 12 play for them. Tyner has had dozens. I'm thinking that makes it conservatively 70 college level athletes fielded by the 1a and 2a publics in our area...7 by us. Or a 10:1 ratio. With Tyner's population added in we have about 2700 students vs. 330, or an 8.1:1 ratio. In other words, you guys had as many or more college level players even when we compare our BEST years to years that weren't your best. Factor in the years before 96 and it isn't even a discussion any more.

I don't think there is small publics that match that.

In my high school playing career. I played against 5 privates. Of those privates,4 were in the playoffs. 3 of the 4 in the playoffs had a DI prospect.

Out of all the other schools we played, I can think of two.

One played junior college ball and one went to the Naval Academy.

Both were from Trousdale.

The D1 prospects were Troy Fleming, M.J. Garrett, and the CPA QB in 1997.

It does seem to me and a lot of other people that privates coincidentally have more kids play sports in college than publics.

G...you seem to keep bringing in DII privates. They are completely different types of schools than the DI privates...

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That is absolutely true. We have a pretty good 2a program. We've haven't had a DI football signee since 1973. Trousdale hasn't had very many...if any. We have three in DI AA now.

Here's our list for the same period...and we're near twice the size of Boyd.

Brian Fagan Smith Co. Baseball Tusculum College

Ryan Fann Smith Co. Track Tennessee State

Chris McConnell Smith Co. Football Western Kentucky

Josh Hackett Smith Co. Football Austin Peay

Michael Wilmore Smith Co. Football Austin Peay

Maeghan Morris Smith Co. Softball Bethel College

Dusty Brady Smith Co. Football Austin Peay

Anne Leslie Wakefield Smith Co. Softball Lambuth

Audrey Goolsby Smith Co. Softball Vol State

Monica Hembree Smith Co. Women's Basketball Campbellsville, KY

Tara Sleeper Smith Co. Women's Basketball Walters State

Paige Pyburn Smith Co. Softball Lambuth

Stephen Clemmons Smith Co. Football Cumberland

Joe Paul Tackett Smith Co. Football Cumberland

Antwan,

Given that you have sent 14 kids to colleges and given graduation and college eligibility rates you have creamed us for the last 10 years. Your rates when compared to the privates would be 50+ kids. We haven't had that many scholarships in the history of our school. Of course if we count the 3 you forgot you guys are up to 62 or more...now you are in the Tyner area of rare air. NO DI private has that kind of athleticism on their squad...

So, as you can plainly see, the idea that privates have more good athletes is plainly wrong.

Edited by Baldcoach

Because of the multiplier, schools like friendship have more reason than ever to be "selective in their enrollment". Ask their head coach how you can get moved to the front of the waiting list at fcs.(He'll be at the little league parks if ur lookin for him)

Then report him G...or quit spreading gossip and rumor. He is not allowed to go to little league parks to get kids and we all know it...we also know if that was really happening people like you would be snowing the TSSAA under with letters and pictures. Quit lying by saying things that you don't know are true...put up or shut up.

Antwan,

Given that you have sent 14 kids to colleges and given graduation and college eligibility rates you have creamed us for the last 10 years. Your rates when compared to the privates would be 50+ kids. We haven't had that many scholarships in the history of our school. Of course if we count the 3 you forgot you guys are up to 62 or more...now you are in the Tyner area of rare air. NO DI private has that kind of athleticism on their squad...

So, as you can plainly see, the idea that privates have more good athletes is plainly wrong.

I have a new term for you. You are using Baldymath...or Baldynomics. Nah...you have 17 scholarship kids (at least) and we have 16 for the same time period. You have near half the students we do. I am not sure of our percentage of college eligible students. You say 50%.

You will have about 82 or so in your graduating class. That is based on your 2006 enrollment...which was 347. We will have about 130 or so. That is based on the past. If you divide our enrollment (644) by 4...you would get 161. You will have near 95% of your students to graduate. We will have about 20-30 (at least) that won't graduate or transfer. That takes care of about 25% those that aren't college eligible. So we would have about 65 or so kids that are college eligible...you would have over 80. That for a school with 347 students in comparison with a school of 644. Maybe the multiplier is more accurate than I thought. Also in the equation...just because a kid is college eligible...does not mean they have the athletic ability to be offered. I only know of one of our kids that has a full ride for sure. Most pay most of their expenses...or have academic...or lottery scholarships...etc.

The four I forgot were edited in...and we do have two more on golf scholarships.

Edited by Antwan

Here`s a legitimate question for 1A fans that want a split and I really believe that this question gets down to the VERY BASIC problem at hand.

How does Trousdale County do it?

I hear complaints about private schools yet here is a very small 1A rural public school that not only has had great success but for years has continued to have a great program. If they were a private school they would be described as being dominant. So what I`m asking from those of you who maintain that private schools have unfair advantages is to stop and reflect and take a look at Trousdale County and discuss what they have and the reasons why they are consistently very good.

Stop trying to compare your school to private schools for a moment and compare yourself to TC.

Let`s hear it.

I have been told that they redf-shirt the good ones when they are in 7th or 8th grade.

"I have been told that they redf-shirt the good ones when they are in 7th or 8th grade."

that has to be done in the 6th grade.

starting with the 7th, a kid has 6 years to play out middle & high school....

they can advance from middle to hs competition at any time, but once they have competed at the hs level in any sport, they are ineligible for further ms competition.

i dont know of any schools that currently push for parents to "redshirt" good 6th graders for athletic purposes, altho i know of some from the past.

however, there are still parents who do so.

G...you seem to keep bringing in DII privates. They are completely different types of schools than the DI privates...

Only one of the kids I mentioned played for a DII private.

That was Fleming at BGA, and at the time we played them, there was no multiplier and no DII.

The other two were at CPA and DCA, both DI.

What it amounts too is that alot of times, parents will send there kids to a private school even when there in grade school, so they'll have a chance to be a part of a winning high school athletic program or simply just get noticed.

And, I know for a fact that a lot of kids go to a private school just for athletics.

Friendship Christian claims to have kids commute from nine counties.

I'm sure they pass other private schools on the way.

Many of them choose Friendship for their athletics.

Heck, I know of some kids that transfer from private to private just for athletics.

"I have been told that they redf-shirt the good ones when they are in 7th or 8th grade."

that has to be done in the 6th grade.

starting with the 7th, a kid has 6 years to play out middle & high school....

they can advance from middle to hs competition at any time, but once they have competed at the hs level in any sport, they are ineligible for further ms competition.

i dont know of any schools that currently push for parents to "redshirt" good 6th graders for athletic purposes, altho i know of some from the past.

however, there are still parents who do so.

I know of parents that held their kids back in kindergarten so they would be bigger in high school for football.

Only one of the kids I mentioned played for a DII private.

That was Fleming at BGA, and at the time we played them, there was no multiplier and no DII.

The other two were at CPA and DCA, both DI.

What it amounts too is that alot of times, parents will send there kids to a private school even when there in grade school, so they'll have a chance to be a part of a winning high school athletic program or simply just get noticed.

And, I know for a fact that a lot of kids go to a private school just for athletics.

Friendship Christian claims to have kids commute from nine counties.

I'm sure they pass other private schools on the way.

Many of them choose Friendship for their athletics.

Heck, I know of some kids that transfer from private to private just for athletics.

Heck I know kids that transfer from public to public and private to public and private to public and private to private just for athletics.

So what's the point? Parents are going to send their kids where they think they are going to have the best opportunity.

In metro schools, the basketball teams change from year to year cause the kids "move".

I know of parents that held their kids back in kindergarten so they would be bigger in high school for football.

Yeah, but there's nothing wrong with that. I grew 2.5 inches and 20 pounds after my senior football season, don't you think it would have been nice to have had that for another year of high school ball? That definetley would have translated to more college opportunities for me. I don't see anything wrong with a parent holding a kid back to make sure they are mature when entering college.

Baldcoach: I understand your argument, but I think it is flawed. Yes, publics have a lot of athletes who can't play in college because of academics. But, privates also have a lot of athletes who CHOOSE not to play college sports because they do not need the money to pay for their education. There were quite a few of my former teammates who turned down scholarships and opportunities to play college ball, a lot more than one would think. As a matter of fact, my own father did that. Where Johnny Public doesn't have the grades, Johnny Private doesn't need the money.

Edited by KublahKD

Yeah, but there's nothing wrong with that. I grew 2.5 inches and 20 pounds after my senior football season, don't you think it would have been nice to have had that for another year of high school ball? That definetley would have translated to more college opportunities for me. I don't see anything wrong with a parent holding a kid back to make sure they are mature when entering college.

Baldcoach: I understand your argument, but I think it is flawed. Yes, publics have a lot of athletes who can't play in college because of academics. But, privates also have a lot of athletes who CHOOSE not to play college sports because they do not need the money to pay for their education. There were quite a few of my former teammates who turned down scholarships and opportunities to play college ball, a lot more than one would think. As a matter of fact, my own father did that. Where Johnny Public doesn't have the grades, Johnny Private doesn't need the money.

There are also public school kids that turn down scholarships too. I did. I know of...at least...a couple others in my class did. I was afraid of not having enough time to study. I didn't have to worry about the money either. So...that does not necessarily apply to private school kids.

There are also public school kids that turn down scholarships too. I did. I know of...at least...a couple others in my class did. I was afraid of not having enough time to study. I didn't have to worry about the money either. So...that does not necessarily apply to private school kids.

Yes, but the likelihood of that occurring with a private school student is much greater when one considers the socioeconomic factors. The money argument is, after all, one of the biggest complaints the publics have.